//ArrowChat Code

Thread: ATC 200 Shifting Issues

--

ATC 200 Shifting Issues

I recently purchased a 1982 Honda ATC 200 that has been sitting in a barn for about 15 years. After cleaning the tank and carb it fired right up and it runs great. The problem I noticed is when riding it will not shift into fourth gear. It will shift in/out of N,1,2,3 just fine but when I try to go into fourth it wont grab the gear. I adjusted the clutch to the proper setting but it still wont shift into fourth. What is the best way to go about this to identify what the problem may be.

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Could be something inside with the shift arm. I would take the right side case cover off and inspect the shifter.
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

--
    Thanks for the reply. Everything seems fine so far, I'm going to have to dig in a little further to see what's wrong. I talked to some of the guys at my local honda shop and they said it could be bent shift forks in the transmission

--
    I now have the cases split and I looked at each of the shift forks which all seems to be in good condition. I can shift through all of the gears by turning the shift drum by hand, but some times the forks have a hard time moving in the grooves of the shift drum when I rotate it. Could the shift drum be the problem?

--
    Possibly, maybe the forks to. I wonder if there just wore out enough to cause the problem

--
    I measured the forks and they are all within spec. Should I get a different drum and forks to see if that will fix the problem? The shift shaft is straight and the gears all look good, the only other thing i can think of if its has some issue with the shifting linkage.

--
    I hope someone with some tranny knowledge would chime in, I'm definitely no guru at this. I've watched my friend redo my r

--
    Well thanks anyway for the input. It might just be a case of trial and error until I get it right.

--

ATC 200 Shifting Issues

Quote Originally Posted by jgehring View Post
    Well thanks anyway for the input. It might just be a case of trial and error until I get it right.
    Sounds like you'll get it, if your already in there, you can see it. Bent fork is what I'd suspect, also. Very best of luck and congratulations on your find.

http://www.waghornswood.net.nz/Manua...ice_manual.pdf
    If you don't have a manual, I download and printed one for our big red-worth every penny.
    Last edited by Jd110; 12-20-2017 at 09:50 AM.

--
    I'm using a clymer manual that came with it that is pretty helpful, but thanks for the advice. I'll probably order some parts here pretty soon and either solve or at least narrow down what the problem may be.

--

ATC 200 Shifting Issues

If you want spare parts for it and are or ever near cda, lmk, I've got a '83 185s parts trike, you can have it. It's all there, minus wheels and fenders.

--
    Thanks for the offer I appreciate it, but unfortunately I have too many vehicles as it is and I'm running out of space. I've looked on ebay and parts aren't too crazy expensive.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //