//ArrowChat Code

Thread: '85 250es dies after short ride

--

'85 250es dies after short ride

Hey All,
    Like the title says, I have a 250es that will die on me after riding about 2 blocks. It spits sputters and then dies. Will start back up after a minute or so. Feels like it's running out of gas or not getting gas, but I have a clear (blue) fuel line and inline filter on it and I can see that it is getting fuel to the carb. Any adjustments on the carb that I may have messed up when I rebuilt it? The trike had been sitting for about 4 years when I got it and was full of old gas and carb was gummed up pretty bad. It will start up and idle fine for what seems like all day long. Thanks for any help

--
    What you describe is typically a plugged petcock. It allows the fuel to seep down and fill the bowl. Then when you run it,it starves. I would check there even though you say the line looks full. if not, you may need to reclean your carb.My money is on the petcock being obstructed.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

axeman24 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    it could also be the fuel tank cap breather make sure it is ON then try running it with the cap off or with a cap from a good running bike

--
    I really hope it isn't the CDI and hope it is a bad gas cap or something simple

--
    Try some simple things first.

A real simple test for fuel flow. Turn the fuel off. Take the line off the carb. Put it in a glass jar ETC. Turn the fuel on and watch the fuel flow. Let the fuel run out for a bit.
    If it slows or is slow then you can work your way to the tank. Watching the flow at the carb can eliminate. Fuel lid, petcock and lines.

The cost of doing this is less than a buck... and a couple minuites. If this flows good I would be going back into the carb myself. Needle/seat(?)

You rebuilt the carb? A full rebuild? What kit did you use?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

--
    A few updates - Fuel flow is fine, cap isn't the problem as it dies with the cap loose, and petcock was clean... I used a Shindy carb kit when I rebuilt it. I could have easily missed something or not set something correct in the carb when reassembling it. I feel I was careful to count revolutions of jets and placement of clips and replace them in the same place, but that doesn't mean they were correct before either. Is there a standard setting for jetting based on elevation (1250ft) that is an easy place to start or double check? I have a cdi (4pinx2pin) that should be here tomorrow just in case. I am planning on pulling the carb and double checking tomorrow night before changing the new cdi from the round plug that it is now. Thanks for the advice and I will try to keep updated.

--
    You might want to check your float height.

--
    If you are sure fuel flow is correct,and it starts easily on choke, idles down off choke and runs good for 2 blocks,,,then dies. It is not fuel related.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    Finally got around to installing the new cdi yesterday - seems like that was the culprit as it ran great all day and never died on me! I still want to go through the carb again and do the cold start fix just in case. I also got my new tires and wheels mounted up, Thanks for the help fellas!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //