• Gold Valve and self rebuild

3 60.00%
  • Other (explain)

0 0%

Thread: 86R shock upgrade opinions

--

86R shock upgrade opinions

Alright Gentlemen.

Much to my disappointment last night i came home to the rear shock on my 86R to find it had released the schmoo. I contacted both Evan Schimdy racing and Race tech, I was soft quoted very similar pricing from both (~$400) for a revalve, respring and rebuild.

Now my question is to those of you that have worked with any of these people or possibly both would you favor one over the other and if so why. Would you rebuild it yourself and just go with gold emulators (basically half the cost). Or go with an entirely different option.

Just for reference, ~195lb, trail/MX, adequate skill level.

--
    I purchased gold valve emulators and high flow valves ( and springs) from racetech direct and installed them myself. The front is easy to do yourself. I have a thread on it somewhere. The rear isn't that hard if you have time and a good caliper measuring tool. Racetech is great. If you have them rebuild the rear shock (100$ labor plus any parts fluid etc) and for whatever reason you don't like it they will redo it until you do. They've been great to me. I also live close so it's easy to just stop in there.
    No experience with Schmidy.
    If your mechanically inclined I'd say do it yourself. When you order the gold valve kit though ask them to prebuild your shim stack. Louie did mine for free but even if they charge a fee I think it's worth it. Or let them do it cause lining up the d rod is hard to do and if you crush the rebound keeper your gonna be in some trouble. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    I've never used Schmidty Racing, but I've heard good things about them.

I used Race Tech for my R's rear shock rebuild several years ago. They installed their gold valve kit & resprung it to my weight, riding style, & +2 longer swingarm. I also needed a custom shock-to-reservoir hose made, since I was relocating my reservoir. They did awesome work in a timely fashion, and I'm very pleased with the results. I must have called them about 3 times, prior to sending my shock in, with questions I had about the reservoir relocation, but they were always there & willing to answer them. Great communication and they never made me feel stupid for asking questions.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Shawn, that is very good information. Im not concerned about the mechanical aspect of it as far as taking it apart and putting it back together. I was more curious if just the gold valve itself made that noticeable of a difference so thank you for the reassurance there. Did you get your oil from race tech as well or did you just use ATF?

Red, I get a similar impression from race tech while I was on the phone with them for about 30 minutes as well the other night. They were very willing to answer all of my questions and were super helpful the whole time.

I ended up finding a second shock for a steal as well, so once I get that in hand il be able to swap them out so im not down while the original is getting overhauled.
    Last edited by Kamnahrt; 09-14-2017 at 08:43 AM.

--
    On the rear I used race techs fluid wich is 2.5/5 w full synthetic "slick fluid". It's what they recommended. It moves ALOT easier now. More fluid. Made a big ride difference. And the front I used 15w Honda suspension fluid. Also RT recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    Contact jogaca...he will build is cheaper I think rests run me about $275 shipped with custom body colors avaible. My bikes ride like a dream after his work...https://m.facebook.com/Jogaca-Suspen...3322231579405/.

I've done two atvs with him and dual rated suspension.

250rAL is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    I had a Works cartridge kit put in mine years ago and I was happy with it.
    36PJ Keihin
    K&N
    Boyesen reeds
    Magura hydraulic clutch
    Roost Boost
    MSR bars
    OMF swingarm skid
    ITP Beadlocks

Three Wheelin' Since '84

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //