//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Plastic or Fiberglass fenders? 1986 200x

--

Plastic or Fiberglass fenders? 1986 200x

I am redoing a 1986 200x and am wondering what fenders I should go with. I don't have any experience with fiberglass fenders. What are the pros and cons of each? All I really know is that the fiberglass won't droop over time but does it crack easier? Is it heavier? What do you guys prefer and why? I can get a set of Maiers for $300 and the fiberglass set for about $200.

--
    I have maiers on a 350x and after two years and quite a bit of riding they look fine. I will say where my boots rub on the rear fenders has a lot of rash on it. Probably they way I ride. I always assumed fiberglass was hella expensive. It has to weigh more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    I have Fiberglass and 1 guy running up on me, I now have broken fenders.

Run MAIER or understand you will have to repair the FG fenders from time to time....
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

Gripit'n'ripit is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I have used both. For me, fiber glass fenders tend to be an 'all or nothing' affair when you are riding. They can be very resilient and last....until they don't. Where a Maier fender will flex or bend, maybe crack.....a fiber glass might break or splinter.
    Fiber glass, if you take your time, can be repaired to a practically new state, and paint lasts fairly well.
    Repairing a Maier is always a challenge. Painting a plastic fender is a bit hit or miss unless you use a flex additive with the paint.
    Where weight is not a concern, i do prefer to use fiberglass if it is an option.
    81 250R Custom
    83 250R (in progress)
    98 Scrambler 400
    03 Bombardier Quest 500
    07 Polaris Predator (sold to klondike1020 )
    68 VW Dune Buggy

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //