//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Northern Ontario, 85' 250sx, looking at buying 350X this week!

--

Hello from Northern Ontario, 85' 250sx, looking at buying 350X this week!

Hey everyone, long time lurker and resource stealer lol
    A little about myself: 21 currently living in a small northern town, work at a bank and love 3 wheelers. Been riding them since I was 14. I've had a klt200, dx225, and a 200x that I never got to ride it had an seized engine when I bought it, guy told me it just needed a few parts. But I traded it for the dx and the new owner turned it into and and auto x. Anyway this week I'm looking at buying an 86 350x for 3500. It is recently rebuilt from the ground up, over bored .50 thousandths, and the top end has been nodded to use crf450f valves with a hot cam. Rebuilt all around and re painted. The guy claims that with the mods it can go about 160 km, doubt that but I know some of my friends quads hit 160 so who knows. He said the front wheel almost refuses to stay on the ground, I'm going to check it out this week. Any tips or things to look out for ? Thanks guys!

--
    Welcome to the 'hood. I am sure some members will chime in on common problems

Not sure if all 350X had the issue of cracking frames. There is a gusset kit available.

How far north are you?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

--
    Thanks guys! How much does a gusset kit run and how much to have it installed ? I don't have a welder at home and even if I did I wouldn't be comfortable welding onto a beauty like a 350x. I've looked on Kijiji lots, in fact every single day, and it seems like 350x's go for anywhere between 4G and 6g in Ontario. I'm on my phone so I'll try to figure out how to upload pics !

--
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    We need pictures or we are all just guessing at the value but at 3500... She better be 100% trouble free. I know prices are high in Canada but that's really high for a rider. I've never owned a 350x but have seen a lot of people that went crazy with mods on the engine then decided to go back to a moderate build. I think the engine is a bit heavy and definitely torquey, and when you over mod it rips the frame apart. If you plan to thrash it you better get some gussets.
    They are very hard to come by. 3,500 is fair but yes. would need to see pics etc. $3,500 Canadian is like $1,000 American. LOL
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

--
    Here are the pics of the bike. It's nicer than any bike I've ever owned lol, and I figure I can resell it for 3500 at the least if I find its not for me.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

--
    Oh also I'm from the Timmins area!

AMK is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    The '85 frames were famous for cracking on the left side. Mostly from getting a lot of air and landing hard.
    The '86 not so much. I believe Honda beefed up the '86 frame in that area.
    Alan

1985 350x
    1984 200es Big Red
    1985 200s (little red)
    1986 200x saga
    2) 1985 350x projects
    And a slew of others to hold my attention

--
    Yeah I'm not a fan of the frame color lol. The fact that every part is painted tells me that he put a lot of attention to detail into it. I'm not planning to jump it or drive it crazy, I'm gonna drive it just like I do my sx without sinking it in rivers and mud holes lol. I'd drive it in town and on the gravel roads/nicer trails. I've heard the 350x are bad for the front end coming up, would a steel rim instead of aluminum help with that at all? He is the second owner, bought it off a friend of his last summer and worked on it all winter, the only concern is that the ownership papers are in his friends name still. Insurance is quoted at $88 for the year, less than my sx at $104 a year lol.

--
    I doubt that a steel rim would help at all. Mine's all stock except for the 400ex carb and the Uni filter. I can wheelie it in the first 5 gears without any problem. Now for us in the United States. 160kph is 100mph. Could mine do it? Doubtful in stock condition. Could yours do it? Probably as long as it's geared up for more speed. The same with the quads. That is the only way it can happen. In stock form,they usually don't have enough power to pull the taller gears to max rpms.

--
    I wouldn't worry about frame gussets if it's an 86. It's the 85's that have most of the frame problems.
    YAMAHA 450 HYBRID
    85 350X- RED
    85 350x -BLACK
    86 350x-WHITE (with Goki)
    85 250r
    83 atc 70
    84 atc 70
    84 atc 110
    09 yfz 450
    2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
    RZR XP 900

--
    If your getting that for 1000$ usd that's a killer deal that's a great looking machine. Those PRM nerf bars are excellent I have them myself. Also rare since PRM is closing shop and hast made them in about 2 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    3500 cad is about 2800 usd. 350x are real hard to find for sale in Canada. I've seen people asking as high as 6000 cad.
    I'll be going to check it out today or tomorrow!

--
    For that kinda money that bike is worth it. Was done clean. Hopefully mechanically as sound as it looks.

--
    So I checked it out with my father tonight. Over all the bike seems clean, especially engine wise. The engine was rebuilt by a professional shop. Here are my notes:

1. the bike back fires a bit, both him and my father said it was due to advanced timing. Timing on a 4 stroke is probably my least understood area of engines. I understand the basics but not much more.

2. He started it, took it for a quick ride, then came back saying something isn't right. He said the throttle wasn't as responsive as it usually is. Turns out the gas was turned either on or off, not on reserve and the tank was almost empty. OK a bit reasonable. He checked the throttle stop chamber and that then let my dad take it out. My father said it did not reach the power band and felt a bit boggy. He then realized the choke was still on and the gas again was not on reserve. Then brought it back to the garage.

3. It has the stock 350x carb with custom jetting. I've read a lot about putting a 400ex carb on
    especially if you over bore it, any thoughts here ? My father said the bowl likely drains fast when you snap the throttle causing a bog.
    4. The head tag has been removed and the frame is painted. We tried finding the stamp Vin but it looks like the paint filled it in. He assures me it's not stolen (which I believe) and even said he'd remove the paint where the stamp is. So where is the Vin stamped onto the frame ? He said he'll make sure the sale is all legal.

He said there's no reason why it should of been running poorly. Told me he'd figure it out and have us back out there Tuesday. Well be out there for the whole day. He's lending the bike to me for the day, he's taking his dirt bike and lending a 4 wheeler to my dad. He said he wants it running straight before he sells it to me and wants me to ride it for a couple hours first.

All in all he seems like a decent guy, I don't think he's a schister. My father said not to buy it for any more than 2500 if he doesn't fix the bogging issues. Where does everybody chime in?

--
    Timing could be an issue but I'd check the basics first. He's gots custom tabbed exhaust on there so first I'd check air filter , plug and jets. Then maybe I'd re adjust the valves and you will be able to speculate on cam timing. I'm under the impression they won't run tooth out. Also make sure the air box has the lid on it and the snorkel tube is intact. Sounds crazy but mine actually runs better with the lid on and tube in place. I have the 400ex carb on mine and it's a great inexpensive upgrade. My money says his jets are off. The backfiring is due to the pilot jet being too small or out of adjustment most likely.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //