//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Yamaha!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebraska_Joe View Post
    so what is the purpose of boyesen reeds?
    Boyesen are the brand.
    Reeds are a valve.

They come in all sorts of flavors.
    Carbon fiber, metal (spring steel?), fiberglass, pumpkin spice.
    Each has their pros and cons, a metal reed snaps off and gets sucked into your engine, you can imagine how that's gonna be less than ideal. A carbon fiber one gets sucked in and your engine will eat It for breakfast, spit it out, and ask for more like nothing ever happened.

Reeds are basically a check valve that open and close depending on pressure. Stops everything you just sucked in from the intake from being pushed back out. Two strokes are amazingly simple in how they operate and that's what makes them so wonderful. I have smaller 2T motors in bikes that don't use any reeds at all. No crank case induction either. They run just fine and scoot you around at 40mph ta boot.

Learn the mechanics on how they work and you'll see how great they are for the novice "home gamer" to work on.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Do not get rid of the oil injection pump. It's very handy not having to mix your gas and the oil injection system almost never fails.
    THANK YOU.

I have never had an oil injection pump fail. I always see people that think a block off plate and premixing your gas makes you double your horsepower.

Most times the carbs, pump, and the entire system were designed to give it the proper amount of oil throughout the entire RPM spectrum.

My personal opinion, I hate having to premix. Worrying about if you run out of gas you are screwed because you can't just get any gas and fill up. And you use damn near twice the amount of fuel as a 4T considering every other stroke is the power stroke, vs every 4. And if you go riding with people other than trikes, 9/10 are on a modern 4T aside from the KTM guys. So you can't just borrow some fuel.

It is uber handy being able to fill up that oil injection tank and just being able to put in straight gas into the fuel tank.

--
    Thanks, I know what reed valves are I just wasnt sure if boyesen reeds had an effect on performance or if there was an advantage over the stock reeds.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //