//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Camshaft identification

--

Camshaft identification

In rebuilding the motor for my 250sx I realized the cam and journals were were in bad shape. I picked up a high school shop motor that was never ran but do not know what 250cc quad/atc it was from. Does anyone know how to identify the cams in these 250cc motors? The only ID marks I can find are dots. The sx has 5 dots and the shop motor cam has 2. I can take pictures when I get home if that will help. Thanks all.
    Last edited by 3wheelerdan; 09-26-2017 at 01:07 AM.

--
    10-4. I'll post up some pics later this evening.

I know this isn't a build thread here's some pics of the sx that needs her heartbeat back.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	246555Click image for larger version. 

Views:	33 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	246556

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    What did you do to lift it?
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Are you saying that you want to know if the shop motor has an aftermarket cam, and if so, exactly which one it is?

If not, then exactly what do you want to know?

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON OR A STAR

--
    It's a 350x front end and 300ex rear shock at its firmest setting so it's sitting high without the weight of the motor. I'll adjust it to my liking once I get the motor in.

I was wondering if there's a way to identify cams to make sure I'm not putting in a less aggressive cam. I don't know what atv the shop motor came from and if they put an aftermarket cam in it. I'll take some pictures once I get home of the serial number on the motor and the only identifying marks i could find on the cam.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by 3wheelerdan View Post
    I was wondering if there's a way to identify cams to make sure I'm not putting in a less aggressive cam.
    Yup, piece of cake. Just put them in a lathe and bolt a degree wheel to them then put a dial indicator on them then measure the lift and total (advertised) duration of both lobes. Then measure the duration again at .050" lobe lift, however, you can not use the duration you get at .050" of lobe lift to compare with other mfgs cam specs as some like Mega Cycles are measured differently. You could also make a graph by measuring lift at ever 10 degrees of duration and this will give you the lobe shape which will basically tell you how "steep" the ramp is and this can be used to calculate the "acceleration rate" of the lobe. It will also tell you if the the ramps on each lobe are symmetrical or asymmetrical.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON OR A STAR

--
    Unfortunately I don't have a lathe or any equipment to measure the lift and duration. I was hoping that the marks would be enough to ID the cams.

Here's the pics of the 2 cams and the serial number on the case. The cam with 5 dots is a stock 85 250sx cam. The cam with 2 dots came with the shop motor.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	246583

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	246584

Views:	27 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	246585 TE04E-6026903
    Last edited by 3wheelerdan; 09-26-2017 at 01:33 AM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 3wheelerdan View Post
    Unfortunately I don't have a lathe or any equipment to measure the lift and duration. I was hoping that the marks would be enough to ID the cams.
    Nope.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //