//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tri-Z: Klemm 350 Big Bore

--

Tri-Z: Klemm 350 Big Bore

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a big bore for my Tri-Z, the Klemm 350. I was talking with Harry today and he said about 10 people have done it recently. I'm wondering if anyone that has bought the kit can offer feedback on their builds and how thy run. I have other projects and I'm trying to decide whether this is the one to put money on. I'm sure it's a beast and tons of fun. One thing that concerns me is how it revs out. I like engines that rev out quickly--like my Z currently does--rather than chug. I know more reciprocating mass can slow an engine down. I've had a big bore in the past that was disappointing in that department. Also, since Harry doesn't build pipes for them, how does a standard displacement pipe work, e.g., DG, etc? I'm a little worried about overheating being a problem. Anyway, your feedback is appreciated.
    Last edited by christph; 09-25-2017 at 08:05 PM.

--
    Unless something has changed. Whatever Harry tells you is gospel. That man has had a 2 cycle figured out for 5? decades. Whatever he tells you will be true + beyond your wildest dreams.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    I just pulled my Tri-Z parts bin out less than an hour ago for this very reason. As soon as my cases are cleaned up I'm sending them up there along with a cylinder for this kit.

Not sure what to expect for "hit". My current 250 Z engine spools up much faster than my 300 KTM bike motor, but I don't mind trading that off for something with a wider power band as this is for the dunes I plan to return to.

If you expect the added weight of the larger slug to slow down the rate your engine revs you can always try putting a lightened flywheel on it, but as the owner of such a flywheel I've decided the only time I'll ever use it again is at the drags as I found it was really easy to fall out of the power band in the sand.

As far as the pipe goes it would be nice if someone made one for that engine, but if you look back as videos of the Tri-Z that the man they called Ronnie" (RIP) raced, it had a DG pipe on it and I suspect it was a big bore, so it's worth trying. I'm not planning to change my pipe for this combination.

--
    Raffa uploads videos several times a week. I'm pretty sure he was the first one to get the 350 kit since Harry started making them.

You can leave comments or questions at the bottom of the videos. He should reply to your questions there.

https://youtu.be/0JTOdFFozYk

https://youtu.be/cEfHl19DFbo
    Last edited by 3 Wheel Drive; 09-26-2017 at 12:03 AM.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --

Harry was referring people to a pipe builder as recently as around 2 years ago so you can ask him about that but I my still have the persons number, however, it wasn't cheap. You could also ask Arlen and Jemco. Roberts could also make one if you mortgaged your house.

I have tested several pipes back to back on countless vehicles and have also done some testing for both Harry and Dave Miller, and I can tell you that different pipes can significantly change the power characteristics of an engine.

Also, as el camexican stated, a lighter flywheel will make an engine rev faster. I have done a ton of testing with different flywheel weights also and some were better for some apps than others were. Jimmy White used a KX stator on his Tecate which had a lighter flywheel than the Tecate. My Tecate had the stock flywheel and I holeshot 2 races he was in and it was not because he stalled or crashed at the start as one very jealous person on the site would attempt to claim.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON OR A STAR

xrider is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Dynoport makes big bore Z pipes.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by glamy View Post
    You guys with these Mantis looking bikes ..........you just can`t leave em alone ........the last thing you want in the dunes is to have to fiddle fack all the time wit "temperamental" sh!t ! ..........a nicely midrange ported 250 .......that's reliable .......ya know "almost stock" ? ........that you don`t need 2 Raffa`s to kick over ........is what you need........you could die out there........if no ones around ....."Yes Raffa`s 490 died on da sand highway" roll with electro-glide ......on da sand highway.....(billy Idol) ......i want a Banshee powered "Praying Mantis" trike......now that's a worthwhile Yamy ! ........big bores die quick ........like fackin a wet dream up ! ........Jamby done ranting now ..... ....hold still
    But glam master wookiee, how else can a young padawan such as myself one keep up with all that is red and green when the slopes of Tatooine get steep? And please don't suggest I purchase a well worn 250R for 10,000 Imperial Credits as the moisture farm profits have fallen with hurricane season.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by xrider View Post
    Dynoport makes big bore Z pipes.
    Did not know that . Last I'd heard they did a run of 5 or 6 Tri Z and that was going to be it. I tried calling and emailing them a couple years back and got no response.

xrider is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Jon Mckane would be the best person to contact. he seems to be the person who is usually selling the Dynoport pipes for the Tri-z. Believe his user name on here is ZMpolaristech or something like that. Or you can ping him on facebook. You can always call up to Dynoport and talk to Rich but he is usually pretty busy this time of year.

--
    Rich Daly is also on facebook. Hes the owner of Dynoport. I messaged him about something last week and he responded in a couple hours.
    250r rules

--
    Yup you should contact zmpolaristech, I got 2 pipes from him when they were available.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170926_092052.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	2.76 MB 
ID:	246589

--
    I've got an old school Bassani that I hope works with the 350 (see pics). I love it on my 250. Its got a hit like Mike Tyson in his prime. I like it a lot more than my DG, which is more of a low end pipe and doesn't have as distinctive a hit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1071007.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	246596Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1071005.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1,006.1 KB 
ID:	246597

--
    I've called Dynoport and at the time they were more than willing to produce one. Raffa ran the Klemm Dynoport on his TT Tri Z at Astabula this year. Watch his go pro and it could give you an idea of how it runs.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Z 250 View Post
    I've called Dynoport and at the time they were more than willing to produce one. Raffa ran the Klemm Dynoport on his TT Tri Z at Astabula this year. Watch his go pro and it could give you an idea of how it runs.
    Do you know it they need the trike to do a mock up or do they already have a jig?

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by christph View Post
    Do you know it they need the trike to do a mock up or do they already have a jig?
    Yes, and the prices are below. It takes around 2-3 weeks to finish after you order it. He says they are mid range and top end pipes, not low end torque pipes for slow tight trail type riding.

Rich 315-255-3665

BIG BORE PIPE ONLY .............................. 500.00
    SILENCER ............................................. 150.00
    CERAMIC COATING ................................ 100.00
    SHIPPING TO OZ ................................... 100.00

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON OR A STAR OR A BIG BORE TRIKE

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //