//ArrowChat Code
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Please Help...can't get trike to start after installing new top end

--
    It could also be electrical.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    I actually thought about doing this to see if it makes a difference....will try it and let ya'll know.

Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Can you get it up on blocks and safely run it through the gears to see if anything weird is happening?
    1985 Yamaha 225DRN w/OEM headlight guard, footboards, front rack, rear rack, work light, brush guards and trailer hitch

--
    CDI or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    It could also be electrical.
    1985 Yamaha 225DRN w/OEM headlight guard, footboards, front rack, rear rack, work light, brush guards and trailer hitch

--
    Could be CDI, bad advancer or something else. Ground your sparkplug to your cylinder and turn the lights off. If the spark is blue you are good, if its yellow, its weak. Also, I'll admit, I haven't gone back through and read the entire thread....try checking your valve lash again.

--
    Why do you need to make sure you have gas in the carberator prior to taking a motor apart ? Sorry for the late question. This was posted on the front page of the thread.
    Last edited by Mach-10; 10-16-2017 at 08:23 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach-10 View Post
    Why do you need to make sure you have gas in the carberator prior to taking a motor apart ? Sorry for the late question. This was posted on the front page of the thread.
    Because I have seen guys take perfectly good motorcycles to the dealer for service because they couldn't start them when the only problem was they hadn't turned the petcock on.

--
    Because I have seen guys take perfectly good motorcycles to the dealer for service because they couldn't start them when the only problem was they hadn't turned the petcock on.
    And i once wore myself out as a kid trying to start my xr100 for an hour with the killswitch off.

Just saturday i pulled out my "frankenbike" after 2 years of sitting and couldn't make it run...carb off, checked and adjusted 5 or 6 times, checked spark, looked good. Put it back in, would run for a minute and die. Pull plug out, no spark. So I'm thinking CDI or the stator is bad...nope. The practically brand new, factory correct, properly gapped spark plug with less than 5 hours of ride time was the culprit. Swapped it out with the old plug i had from the rebuild and it has ran flawless since...
    Suicide Hill Survivor

The rides:
    1981 ATC110
    1982 ATC185
    1983 ATC185s
    1984 ATC200es
    1985 ATC200x

When the going gets tough, the tough get sideways

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 83ATC185 View Post
    And i once wore myself out as a kid trying to start my xr100 for an hour with the killswitch off.

Just saturday i pulled out my "frankenbike" after 2 years of sitting and couldn't make it run...carb off, checked and adjusted 5 or 6 times, checked spark, looked good. Put it back in, would run for a minute and die. Pull plug out, no spark. So I'm thinking CDI or the stator is bad...nope. The practically brand new, factory correct, properly gapped spark plug with less than 5 hours of ride time was the culprit. Swapped it out with the old plug i had from the rebuild and it has ran flawless since...
    Back in 1985 my buddy Rob he asked me to come over with a pick up truck to take his week old RZ500 to the dealers because it wouldn't start. Two days later they called him up and said they found the problem, the gas tank was empty. Another time a guy that lives down the street from us hadn't ridden his street bike since last fall and was towing it up and down the street with the truck trying to bump start it for about 30 minutes. He finally stops at the end of our driveway and asks if I can take a look at the bike because he remembered seeing that I had one. I sat down on the bike turned the key on, flipped the ON switch on and fired it on the first kick.

I also have an uncle that worked for Digital for years and has been flown from Toronto to California on numerous occasions only to find out that the computer he was sent to fix was not plugged in. Trust no one

--
    Another thing I noticed is that when the bike is in gear (any gear or reverse), it rolls freely with not much resistance at all as if it were still in neutral. I remember on my Hondas that if you put it in gear it would be harder to roll so I'm thinking the clutch may need to be adjusted on my tri-moto?

--
    I did put it on jackstands earlier and even took the tires off, and it is still bogging when I get past second gear...ugh.

In theory your motor doesn't care what gear it's in. If it can rev in first and second gear it should be able to rev in third, fourth & fifth unless something in your drivetrain is causing a restriction.

Can you get it up on blocks and safely run it through the gears to see if anything weird is happening?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by patblkwell View Post
    I did put it on jackstands earlier and even took the tires off, and it is still bogging when I get past second gear...ugh.

Bogging with no load??? check valve clearance and check wiring.

--
    I did check the valve clearance a couple of weeks ago after I installed the new top end and I set them per the manual. Will check again though. All the wiring appears to be good, what specifically or what part of the wiring could be causing this?

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

--
    Not familiar with these trikes. But where does the airbox get its supply from? Check for restrictions in that area. My 82 200e had dirt dauber nests built up in the frame where the airbox got its supply. Would idle great and take most throttle unloaded but would start shooting ducks under load. Another thought is it binding at the chain or driveshaft
    you know whats right therefore you know what is expected

--
    At this point ,my internet DX would be either choke hanging,making it rich as it warms,,which I do not think it is. Or, something is wrong in the transmission. If it is a definite 2nd gear on up problem,it sounds like that is where the problem is going to be. Starts awesome,runs awesome,bogs out in 2nd... Sounds like 2nd...Can you hear or sense a grinding or vibration in the tranny as you are attempting to get it to rev? And if you put it back down to first,,it runs ok? Then you have ruled out the "running" part of the engine.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    I second the above. Sounds like something transmission or clutch related. This trike has a driveshaft, right? Might want to look at that too although it's unlikely that that would vary from gear to gear.

Try putting it in first and second gear and turning the wheels by hand when it is up in the air, then try it in the higher gears to see if you have more resistance.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //