//ArrowChat Code
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Please Help...can't get trike to start after installing new top end

--
    I've basically cleaned this bike from head to toe and checked every nook and cranny...it is clean as a whistle. When I got it, the airbox had the usual rats nest in it and all, I cleaned it out completely, put a brand new Yamaha air filter so it's all good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by danbur55 View Post
    Not familiar with these trikes. But where does the airbox get its supply from? Check for restrictions in that area. My 82 200e had dirt dauber nests built up in the frame where the airbox got its supply. Would idle great and take most throttle unloaded but would start shooting ducks under load. Another thought is it binding at the chain or driveshaft
    1985 Yamaha 225DRN w/OEM headlight guard, footboards, front rack, rear rack, work light, brush guards and trailer hitch

--
    The choke is fine...not stuck or anything. Like I said, it starts on the 1st pull, idles perfect, but once you try to go from 2nd to 3rd gear it starts bogging. When you go back to 1st gear, it does pretty much go back to normal except if you try to punch the throttle it boggs a little. It's almost as if once it warms up, it's more likely to bogg if that makes any sense? Maybe something with the choke after all? I haven't notice any grinding or noises coming from the tranny either.

Quote Originally Posted by atc007 View Post
    At this point ,my internet DX would be either choke hanging,making it rich as it warms,,which I do not think it is. Or, something is wrong in the transmission. If it is a definite 2nd gear on up problem,it sounds like that is where the problem is going to be. Starts awesome,runs awesome,bogs out in 2nd... Sounds like 2nd...Can you hear or sense a grinding or vibration in the tranny as you are attempting to get it to rev? And if you put it back down to first,,it runs ok? Then you have ruled out the "running" part of the engine.
    1985 Yamaha 225DRN w/OEM headlight guard, footboards, front rack, rear rack, work light, brush guards and trailer hitch

--
    Do you have a nice hill located near you. I would try running it up the hill in 1ST or 2ND under harder acceleration and see if this BOG continues.

What I am getting at is fuel flow to the carb or at the carb. You stated that it fires up good. Run it through the first 2 gears then the BOG starts. I am thinking the fuel supply to carb is not enough. IE restriction.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Canadian View Post
    Do you have a nice hill located near you. I would try running it up the hill in 1ST or 2ND under harder acceleration and see if this BOG continues.

What I am getting at is fuel flow to the carb or at the carb. You stated that it fires up good. Run it through the first 2 gears then the BOG starts. I am thinking the fuel supply to carb is not enough. IE restriction.
    I don't have a hill nearby...but I do think that you may be on to something regarding the fuel supply to the carb. Would adjusting the float height possibly fix that? I know fuel flows from the petcock fine to the carb.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

--

Please Help...can't get trike to start after installing new top end

Bumping this thread... OK so today I went at it for a few hours again. The carb is getting plenty of fuel, the float height is correct, air fuel mixture screw is properly set, and the carb is clean as a whistle..I double checked it. I also tried different combinations with the air fuel mixture screw and needle height position but nothing really changed. Also if you flip the choke on it will start to die after a few seconds just FYI.

The bike will start on the first pull and purrs like a kitten, and you can rev it from low to high but if you hold down the throttle passed low range it will start to bogg. I have the rear wheels off the ground and off of the bike so that there is no resistance and it still does it. It will go through all of the gears just fine but starts to bogg as you keep trying to give it throttle.

Earlier in this thread, I stated that it only does this when in gear, but it will do it when a neutral if you hold down on the throttle but not when you rev it back-and-forth. I'm starting to think it's either something electrical or possibly the main jet is not allowing enough fuel for some reason? I am 99.99% sure that the carb is all stock and original. The new top end kit I installed is 6cc' slarger than OEM so didn't think rejetting would be necessary?? I'm at a loss so any other ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

--
    Again, its electrical. Likely spark advance.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Can you post up a vid on it? I know you are getting great advice. We are now on page 5 on this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

--
    Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    Again, its electrical. Likely spark advance.
    It may be, what do you suggest I need to do to fix this?

--
    Get a manual and an ohmeter and start checking.

Did you ever check the color of your spark?
    Last edited by yaegerb; 10-21-2017 at 10:38 PM.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Did you download a manual for this machine? The Honda manuals have a troubleshooting section, dont know if Yammy does. .....Always fires right up right away?

--
    Spark is blue and good as I can tell, especially without the electric start working and using the pull start.

Yes I have the manual for it, no luck though. It always fires up on the first pull.

--
    Where i would go next...........rats nest= rat garbage sucked in carb somewhere.fully disassemble. Soak it in carberator cleaning solution following label. Blow compressed air through EVERY micro hole on it and in it. Sounds like you did a very good job cleaning the carb but soaking may me a cheap and possible solution. The air routing area the air filter pulls from,,,,nest? Maybe try hanging a gas bottle from the ceiling and feeding the carburetor that way first. Empty your gas tank and blow compressed air up through the petcock to see if rusty. Again cheap easy thing to try. If that dont work maybe talk to someone who knows something. Lol

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fieldy View Post
    Where i would go next...........rats nest= rat garbage sucked in carb somewhere.fully disassemble. Soak it in carberator cleaning solution following label. Blow compressed air through EVERY micro hole on it and in it. Sounds like you did a very good job cleaning the carb but soaking may me a cheap and possible solution. The air routing area the air filter pulls from,,,,nest? Maybe try hanging a gas bottle from the ceiling and feeding the carburetor that way first. Empty your gas tank and blow compressed air up through the petcock to see if rusty. Again cheap easy thing to try. If that dont work maybe talk to someone who knows something. Lol
    Yeah I may have to try that if all else fails. The carb was actually pretty clean inside when I first got it but like you said something could have been sucked in there by chance. Another poster suggested that my spark advance may be off or something so I'm not sure...its nothing obvious that's for sure.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

--
    Your diagnostics have become contradictory, so please disregard anything I've said up till now.

The electronics on your engine are probably just a magneto and coil. (Don't take my word for this, check). If so your problem is narrowed down to a weak component, a fuel flow issue which could be too little or too much or an air blockage. Did you check the metal frame section of your intake for blockage? What about your manifold? They can crack. What about your spark plug gap? You can take it down to.018" to see if it helps. That would indicate a weak electrical feed.

--

Please Help...can't get trike to start after installing new top end

MAJOR UPDATE: I finally got the bike running right…I ended up boiling the carburetor in lemon juice mixed with water and a lot of crap came out of it that must have been trapped in there from the bike sitting for years. I then sprayed carb cleaner all throughout it and blew out every little hole and crevice several times over with an air compressor nozzle. I also ordered a carb rebuild kit because I was missing a few of the small rubber O-rings and such. I put everything back together, put fresh gas in it and the bike is running perfect now. No more bogging down and it runs through all the gears with plenty of power. Thanks again to all of you who participated in this thread, I'll be posting some pics of the finished product very soon (just have a few cosmetic things to do to it before she is all done).

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //