//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 86 200X...now with e-start

--

86 200X...now with e-start

It’s been a little while since I’ve posted anything new, so I thought I’d show you all what I’ve been up to.

After a lot of research, time and labor, here it is folks. An electric start 86 200x. Not a swap. This is a custom built, hybrid motor containing both TR200 Fatcat and 86 200x parts.

It’s not like the 200X is difficult to kick-start or “needs” electric start, but I did it because it was challenging and for my own personal reasons and experience.

Here is what went into it…

Custom assembled crankshaft split, bored, re-assembled and balanced by Tempe CrankWorks.
    Basically, its the left side of the crank off a TR200Fatcat/TRX200SX and the right side off the 200X. This way, you maintain the manual clutch and kick start and essentially just add the electric start into the mix.

After getting the crankshaft back, I used a spare 200X motor I had for the build (If the experiment ended up being a bust, I wanted to be able to put the existing motor back in). Tore the entire thing down, installed the crank, then reassembled and rebuilt the top end.

The wiring was challenging because there is not a lot of space to hide all these extra wires on a 200X. I started with an 87 Fatcat wire harness and ended up redoing half of it to make everything fit where it would be logical.

Parts off the 1987 TR200 Fatcat

Left case cover. (Hard to find one of these thats not cracked on the upper right corner)
    Flywheel
    Starter clutch and reduction gears
    Starter motor
    Regulator/rectifier
    Solenoid
    Wire harness

I decided to use the 200x chain guard. It required some trimming and grinding but it worked out well and the case saver lines up nicely with the chain. (The fatcat chain guard would have been about .5” too far out, so the position of the case saver would have not been correct without adding metal to it or welding another piece onto it.) The case cover had to be trimmed by 3mm on the upper right tip where the bolt goes through so that the 200x chain guard would line up straight vertically.

For the battery, I used a battery box from a 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (After reviewing many, this one seemed the most basic for what I was going for and it was $10.00, so I did not feel bad cutting it). With minimal cutting and drilling it worked out pretty good. Ended up building a mounting bracket for it out of aluminum to keep things as lightweight as possible. Installed some Honda grommets and collars in it and it was ready to go. It mounts behind the air box, under the seat latch area. It’s a tricky spot because of the latch and fender mounts, but I was determined to get it in there and keep everything as clean looking as possible. I also wanted to retain the tool box and did not want to do a “Goki” style mount where the battery replaces the tool box.

When I originally redid the bike a few years back, I welded 2 tabs behind the seat bracket to allow a smaller taillight (Tri-Z 250) to be mounted because it allowed more space for a license plate and bracket which at the time was newly required in AZ. I used those 2 tabs along with the airbox rear mounting point to mount the battery box bracket. So three bolts, and the whole bracket assembly drops down.

The battery is a Shorai lithium ion heavy duty battery. It was expensive but it works awesome. Originally, I designed it so that a Ballistic 4-cell lithium battery could be hidden in the air box, but the battery ended up being too weak. The Shorai has crazy power and is still pretty light weight.

For the run switch, I used one for a TRX250 and modified it to accept the 200x headlight connector. Finally, I installed a small LED light in the dash to indicate there is power when the key is on.

Thats it for now. If anyone wants more pics or info on anything, let me know.

I’d like to give a shout out to Shep1970 who is also working on a similar project as we have talked back and forth on this for a while.

DW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2394.jpg   IMG_2393.jpg   IMG_2271.jpg   IMG_2267.jpg   IMG_2284.jpg   IMG_2288.jpg  

IMG_2396.jpg   IMG_2398.jpg   IMG_2399.jpg   IMG_2401.jpg   IMG_2402.jpg   IMG_2404.jpg  

--
    Very cool and very clean adaption/install. Nice work!
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Wow that looks great, really nice!! Nice new exhaust and all. Are you going to get it "dirty" ? Glad to see you got it done.
    Mines on the back burner "for now" been working on other things keeping me busy for the time being.
    Looking again at your pics, that little led looks good too..!!
    I'm sure i'll be pm'n you with a couple questions soon though.
    Ps- if you need a one piece 1/4 inch longer aluminum intake (rough) u drill/tap,polish let me know it'll be in the mail.

Shep
    Last edited by Shep1970; 10-03-2017 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Added line

--
    Thanks for the offer Shep! I saw that in your sand-casting thread. Some awesome stuff you are experimenting with there! For now, I'll go with the spacer I made since it seems to be running good, and I don't want to take it apart again for at least a little while.

--
    dirtwheels,

Did you notice a reduction in vibration with having had the crank balanced? I have a 185s which I'll be going through, and I hadn't considered getting the crank balanced, but it makes sense.

That is a fantastic looking 200x, an I bet it sounds nice with that Supertrapp.

Looks like you live in the Phoenix Area? I live in Chandler. Would you mind if I stopped by to have a look and listen?

Bernard

axeman24 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    that is an awesome build my friend

California, USA about 50 miles north of sacremento
    --
    Very nice! Looks factory! Looking forward to a Video Awesome job!

--
    I didn't notice any vibration difference from a stock motor. It runs and idles normal. I'll know more when I get it out for a longer ride. The reason I spent the extra $ to have it balanced is because the two sides of the crank were slightly different. The fatcat crank is 1mm smaller in diameter where the pin goes through. So, because it needed to be bored by .5mm to accept the 200x pin, I wasn't sure if there would be any other differences in the counter-weight area even though they appeared visually identical. Anyway, when they put it on the balancing machine, they said it did not require much drilling or additional material to get it to balance perfectly. I'm not sure what RPM they balanced it at. They primarily build race cranks for MX and quads so perhaps they used the same procedure they would for those. I'll try to get a video of it soon. The Supertrapp sounds great. It was NOS when I got it. It's rare enough to find a good one for the 86-87, let alone new in the box!

--
    Thanks for the detailed post and pictures of this upgrade. That is some very nice work.
    JUSTBIGREDS.COM

17 BIG REDS - (2) 1982 200E's, (2) 1983 200E's, (6) 1984 200ES's, (5) 1985 250ES's, (2) 1986 250ES's
    1985 250SX
    1985 200X
    1984 200X
    1985 Tri-Moto 125

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //