//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 85' 350x No Spark

--

85' 350x No Spark

Hello everyone, last night I finished rebuilding the top end of my 350x. I got it running and adjusted the valves once the engine cooled. I road it around just a little bit then started working on another machine. I took the CDI off my machine and put it on another 350x to test for a no spark concern. Once I was done testing I connected the CDI back to my trike. Now it won't start. I put a known good CDI on the bike still no spark. I have tested the coil and its good. The plug is good. I ohm checked the pulse generator and its within spec. However it failed a continuity test. I am thinking the pulse generator is bad. The honda 350x manual has two different ohm value dependent on the make of the stator. I don't know which I have. I have purchased a used stator and CDI. Seems odd that the trike would just loose spark like it did. Anyone have some ideas or possible causes. Maybe I missed something.

--
    Going through a similar situation just not wanting to send my stator out for testing by Ricks electric i think it is. $20 or $25 dollars to test the stator and pulse generator.
    I am working on an 86 200x still because of tight funds. It just quit after it was running like a scalded dog. I tested origonal stator by the book and i think that's what it is. A new stator from ricks is like $160 for it brand new. If i decide to spend some money i will send my stator and pulse generator to them and have them test them both.
    Go to their website, i know they are out east and have some specialized machines for the answer.
    I have been advised it could be a ground problem from some very knowledgeable people here also. I replaced the handlerbar switch with new and checked continuity there. However by the book, it spelled something wrong with the beautiful stator i have sitting in a plastic bag. I might send it out soon and trust in what they say. To look at it, looks brand new.
    All together i suppose it would cost about $225.00 - $250.00 all said and done on the 200x. Brand new stator, pulse generator, testing old combo plus shipping.
    One other thing is my pulse generator tested 100% ok by honda book specs. I wonder about a broken wire going to the stator windings although they look perfect.
    Last edited by fieldy; 10-07-2017 at 08:58 PM.

--
    Could be a ground, or even maybe in the switches.. but I know when mine did it.. the very first part I replaced was my stator and it fired back up..
    1985 ATC 350X working progress
    1983 ATC 200X for sale

--
    Post the numbers from your checks with details about what leads you are connecting to. It is possible that the harness connector to the CDI has a loose connection (the metal contacts inside the plastic connector shell) but this is tough to diagnose. Make sure that the connections to the CDI are plugged in all the way.

Also, explain what you did to perform a continuity test. You said the ohms were good but failed continuity. These contradict each other...
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

--
    On my snap on multimeter if the ohm valued are too high the multimeter will not sound that beep during the continuity test. It was confusing to me at first.

--
    The problem was a shorted kill switch with an intermittent failure in the CDI. Replaced the kill switch and CDI. The machine runs great now.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //