//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Howdy from the white mountians of Arizona!

--

Howdy from the white mountians of Arizona!

Hello all, I'm Kaveman and my wife Sarah just picked me up am 84 Honda ATC 110. Because she's cool like that. Its in fairly decent shape, disregarding cosmetics. I've had to replace the carb with one of the ones from amazon. The jets are the same size as the ones the original carb was equipped with, and seem far to rich. Dinking with the sucker has raised a few questions, hopefully you nice folks have answers.

First, has anyone had any luck soldering and redrilling their jet? As I've got two of identical size and its something I've done before, I figured it was worth a shot.

Second, there's what appears to be a restrictor plate between the carb and intake. A little red bit of plastic about 3\16 of an inch thick. I was wondering if it was absolutely needed? Is it critical to get the o ring on the carb to seal, do I even need a gasket in there with the o ring?

Thanks in advance y'all!

--
    Hey caveman welcome,
    First of all I would not drill those jets out my self, those are tapered in such a way that it makes drilling very difficult, do yourself a favor and buy a few jets to have on hand.. The red plate is a insulator/gasket it is not a restrictor being that the hole is the same as your manifold and head, i would run it if you have it, it also acts as a spacer lifting that stock carb up a bit. Run the gasket and o-ring on the carb side, if ya got it use it. It's pretty important not to have any leaks on either side of the carb/manifold all these things help with that.. I also thought i saw in an earlier post that you were running rich? if thats the case you don't want a larger jet you would want to jet down.. Hopes this helps..

--
    There is a tapered venturi to the jet, yes, but the hole is just a hole. Fill it with solder and run a small drill through it and ta-da, smaller jet. The taper cut on the jets is to reduce tirbupance in the flow, but I've never had a problem with fuel pick up with any of the carbs I've done it to in the past. Since I've got two jets that are identical, I already did it.
    I believe the issue I'm having now stems from lack of back pressure on the intake. I've read repeatedly that these 110 motors are finiky about their air filters and such, so that's what I'm concentrated on now, using the original jet.

--
    If your trike is stock use the stock air box and filter that will give you your back pressure..

--
    The stock filter was a sad little heap of wreckage when I bought the bike, and since they're so widely available here, I made my own from a crown royal bag, some foam and zip ties. Its probably too restrictive, but it should help make up for the long lost air box lid.

If it's not one thing its five others... Current problem, when I replaced the carb, it didn't come with studs, and in fact was intended for bolts, with the curve of the intake, a bolt can only be used on one side. All thread was used on the other and the shortest piece my wife could find in town was 5 inches long. I have to cut it so the tube connecting to the air filter box will fit on the carb. My bolt cutters have walked off, and so, unfortunately, has my hacksaw frame...

--
    DR.ATV is a good source for all those needs - studs, foam filter and maybe even an air box lid, you need all 4 studs for a tight even seal. a lid for your air box should be available on ebay with no problem and for a minimal price, if you can't find one pm me I'm sure I have several laying around..
    A bit of advise, they made all this stuff work together for a reason the reason being because it works. Try and stick to the original parts when fixing up your trike you will benefit from it with performance and ease of maintenace, that's just my two cents worth.. and if you haven't purchased a manual yet please do so it really will explain all your issues.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //