//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Garage Heaters (ie torpedo)

--
    Winter snuck up on me. I had planned to better insulate, but when it goes from 80 down to the 30's in a week or so, it kinda bites you in the rear. My walls are almost 11ft tall and the peak of the ceiling is over 20ft so there's a lot of wasted heating space up there. The right side is scissor trusses for the 2 post lift I need to get off my butt and install, so there's really no way to make a ceiling closer to the floor to eliminate that area up there. I know I need to insulate the roof, I'm just not big on ladders or heights and too stubborn to pays someone else to do something I can on my own.

I think for a stop gap this winter I'm going to insulate all walls (the doors are insulated, but the outside wall is not, and that's really killing me) and use the kerosene heater for this year. They're cheap enough for a year and can sell it next year for what I have in it. My neighbor has a 100k btu unit that he fired up for me last night. It smelled a little, but nothing I couldn't deal with. His garage is smaller and sealed up much tighter than mine.

I have propane at the house already, but it's expensive and I don't feel like messing with running the lines, so I think electric is the way to go for me after fully insulating. The wiring and everything is right where I'd want to put it.

Thanks fellas.

--
    You may want to try getting some quotes on insulation. Around here its cheaper to have it done. When I built my garage I couldn't buy the insulation for what they charged to insulate it.

Lots O Trikes!!!!!
    TRIKEFEST 03, 04, 05, 07, 09 Going the distance

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 200xman View Post
    You may want to try getting some quotes on insulation. Around here its cheaper to have it done. When I built my garage I couldn't buy the insulation for what they charged to insulate it.
    That may be the case, but the extra money I could possibly lose by doing it myself is worth the piece of mind not having some crackhead in my garage. Joe the honest company owner/job bidder might be honest, but they never seem to hire salt of the earth employees.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

--
    I know what you mean we are in the process of getting the door on the shop at home replaced and I was thinking the same thing
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    My garage is always closed when someone i don't know is around. No need to advertise.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tri-z intake1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	247427
    This is my garage in the background. How in the hell do I insulate it? It's just bare metal walls like the outside. I have a wood burning stove in there but it does next to nothing. Is spray insulation the only option?
    85 Tri-z Power valve on Inverts
    85 Tri-z Basket Case
    01 gsxr750 engine/Tri-z frame (long long way from complete)

stoshu is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    With no vapor barrier you will cause some damage to your roof. Your decking and shingles need to be kept cold in the winter. Heating without insulation and a sealed vapor barrier will cause ice dams at the eaves. Either pay for a proper ceiling now, or pay for a new roof in a couple years when it rots. I know you just built the garage, and money is probably tight. Do it right the first time. Once you move all your stuff in it will never get done. Just went through this last fall with my new build. The tapers didn't understand why I needed the garage done before the house. As a builder, I knew if the garage filled up with tools and toys it would never get done.

--
    To start with I hate those heaters. Worked with them inside hoarding up on scaffold, constantly got colds and sore throats. Did a motor with my Dad in minus 35 weather one year using one to heat the garage too. Loud, fumes and God only knows what the CO2 levels were. Not a fond memory.

All the tools would frost up and then the frost would melt and sweat as would every nail and metal item in the garage. Every thing made of steel in the shop was rusty in the spring. It's something I would only use to stay alive and never as a means to do leisure work in a shop.

Too late now, but the nicest winter time experience I've had working in a shop is when they have PCV pipes plumbed into the concrete and are connected to a circulating water heater. The shop is never hot, but it's never below freezing either. A set of insulated coveralls on a cold day or a pullover on a mild day is enough to work comfortably and it's always nice when you need to kneel or lay on the floor. If I ever built a shop up North I'd add that feature.

--
    I.just went thru complete garage over haul and it was not much less then fully traumatic ! Trying to keep up with hobby work and every thing scattered all over house + storage.
    Worth every pita moment and 5 months or so to do.
    I had thinly insulated walls and open to rafter ceiling as well. Hard pressed to throw enough propane into old unit heater to maintain comfortable heat to work (toes would be numb ! ).
    6+ inch in walls now, couple feet in attic,,, worth every penny
    New natural unit heater don't run long (course it ain't been but 34 degree so far for a low).
    Went wayyyy over budget and couldn't be happier that I did ( now).
    Yep, do it right the first time cuz it is 100 times harder to do right lator.
    john
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170625_190745.jpg   20170522_191925.jpg   20170312_142121.jpg   20170312_142131.jpg  
    Last edited by jeswinehart; 11-02-2017 at 05:45 PM.

--
    Looks like I'll be buying a new ladder soon. Garage looks great John, nice job.

--
    JMHO Bryan. I would shop around for a contractor. Life is short. Falling off a ladder and getting busted up isn't fun. I know it stinks to hand the keys to someone else. I don't think anyone on here likes too ! But if you pay enough , you might find a real pro. They are out there. Ask around. You have lots of friends. And maybe some of them hire things done . Bid it out and see what you get. To come home in a few weeks to a garage that is insulated,maybe for a couple grand,would be great. JMHO,,
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverLift View Post
    My garage is always closed when someone i don't know is around. No need to advertise.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tri-z intake1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	247427
    This is my garage in the background. How in the hell do I insulate it? It's just bare metal walls like the outside. I have a wood burning stove in there but it does next to nothing. Is spray insulation the only option?
    They have styrofoam insulation panels. 4’ x 8’ sheets. You can spray glue them to the walls. There not cheap but when you factor in what actual insulation costs plus the drywall to cover them it washes out. And these are light weight and easy to cut (razor knife and tape measure) then when your done use a heavy duty tin style duct tape to seal all the joints. I did this with great success at a guys steel garage here locally where I live. Keep the heat out in his case. ( I work commercial construction if that holds any weight ) comes in different thickness (thicker is better “r” value). Any material supply yard that carries drywall would have it ( also Home Depot but at a much larger price)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yamawheeler is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    Looking for opinions on kerosene torpedo heaters.

My garage is 900 sq ft, partially insulated walls and non insulated ceilings. I'm looking at used torpedoes on Craigslist, but they vary in btu's 70k-250k.

What size are you guys using? I'm not looking to bake cookies so when it's 10-40 degrees outside I'd like a comfortable 65 degrees, but I want it there pretty quickly.

I've also been thinking of a ceiling mount electric heater. I have 220v right where I would mount it.

I'm running a l.b.white 80 propane heater and it works great. 2 1/2 car garage. 100 lb bottle thermostat set at 10 degrees 98% clean burn I do believe they are rated for it has natural gas conversion in it as well.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Ever heard of carbon monoxide?

Any "torpedo" type heater, whether its NG, LP, or kerosene should have a fresh air supply attached to the heater as well as an excellent supply of fresh air ventilation.

The problem is keeping a garage properly ventilated usually means keeping a window or door cracked open, which completely negates the ability to heat the garage.

Saving money shouldn't override your safety and health. But then if you're dead you'll be saving plenty of money. Right?
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Common bath fans aka vent/lights mounted in the ceiling and ducted to the soffit work great for ventilation and exhaust evacuation. Can get them with lights too, more light is always good in the shop.

Obviously your garage isn't sealed up like a zip lock so any negative pressure is going to exchange the air. Thats why the tube heaters are the best choice, heat and fresh air double duty. By the way Bryan I looked at Menards they have a 60k tube htr for $315.
    Those tube heaters are really nice. I worked for a small municipal public works and our garage was a poorly insulated 100x 200 metal building. Those tubes never had a problem keeping that place warm, even with constant door opening moving equipment in and out.

--
    Decided to give this little propane forced air heater a try for $90. 30k-60k btu. It's about 25 degrees outside and I've been working in a long sleeve T-shirt today. I'm very pleased with it. I don't have a thermometer in the garage, but it has no problem heating it up to probably around 60 degrees in 15-20 minutes.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //