//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Garage Heaters (ie torpedo)

--

Garage Heaters (ie torpedo)

Looking for opinions on kerosene torpedo heaters.

My garage is 900 sq ft, partially insulated walls and non insulated ceilings. I'm looking at used torpedoes on Craigslist, but they vary in btu's 70k-250k.

What size are you guys using? I'm not looking to bake cookies so when it's 10-40 degrees outside I'd like a comfortable 65 degrees, but I want it there pretty quickly.

I've also been thinking of a ceiling mount electric heater. I have 220v right where I would mount it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

--
    With a non insulated ceiling go big on a heater
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    Buy at least 100,000 BTU unit

--
    I worked for my dad (construction) for a while yrs ago, he used to use a kerosene torpedo heater to keep warm, if in a sealed area my eyes, the stink, headache on those nights i would have rather been cold all day....
    I'd have to recommend to get an electric cieling mount one.

Shep
    Last edited by Shep1970; 11-01-2017 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Sp

--
    Shep makes a good point that they burn a little dirty compared to other heat sources

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep1970 View Post
    I worked for my dad (construction) for a while yrs ago, he used to use a kerosene torpedo heater to keep warm, if in a sealed area my eyes, the stink, headache on those nights i would have rather been cold all day....
    I'd have to recommend to get an electric cieling mount one.

Shep
    Last time I was around one was 20 years ago. It was used in a very small 2 car garage. I now vaguely remember smelling like kerosene after being in there. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bkm; 11-01-2017 at 08:59 AM.

--
    I have a 400 square foot shop and I installed a ceiling mount 220v electric heater and it wasn't enough plus my electric bill went through the roof. I live in Northern Michigan
    I finally found a small gas furnace and installed it It keeps my shop comfortable for working at 55 degrees.
    I would skip the electric heater and the kerosene heater.
    85 Big Red
    83 Big Red
    84 125m
    85 TRX 125
    73 ATC 70

--
    I was going to say electric. https://north40.com/comfort-zone-cei...er-white-5000w
    Probably because I've installed hundreds and only recall a few complaints about the power bill(it's cheaper here).
    If the correct size wire is in the wall, to me, it's the least expensive. IMO, if you are going to heat your garage this way, insulating/sealing any air gaps is key.
    Now, I've got a gas forced air. Called our natural gas provider this morning about a possible leak on our property. Turns out it was the furnace. Gas provider gave us a 'red tag'. He said 'don't use it until it's fixed'. Heating technician will be here tomorrow.

It does a good job with 2,200 sq ft. Think about the price of the gas set-up and how long it would take to recoup the cost difference. Oh and kerosene makes me ill.
    Last edited by Jd110; 11-02-2017 at 11:09 PM.

--
    I would insulate the ceiling. Other wise anything you use is just getting pumped out into the ether. Never been a fan of the kerosene units in closed areas myself. I’d go electric or propane. We used to use two propane ones that mounted on top of 5 gallon tanks in a 400 square foot insulated steel building and it was plenty. Also we’re in so cal so it’s like 50 degrees when it’s “cold”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    Big problem with kerosene is that is burns up the oxygen in the room. Hence the headaches. I would stay away from them myself.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

--
    I used a salamander as they call the torpedo heaters here, for a couple years. I had it OUTSIDE with a stove pipe from the heater opening thru a window. That way it was always pushing in fresh(er) air as it ran, not burning up all the oxygen from the closed space. Still smelled of kerosene tho. Wasn't that cheap either, as it went thru several gallons every couple days. Worked for a while tho!

--
    Never thought about it but they do make some good propane heater it would go that way. And at least put some plastic on the ceiling to help keep some of the heat down at least put something up there to help seal it up cause heat rises and if the ceiling isnt insolated all your heat is going out the roof. That's why you see one house with snow on the roof and the other without snow cause the one with the snow has better insulation
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    I have l.p where I live.. so I have a propane ceiling mounted forced air unit.. walls and ceiling insulated, does great. Stay away from kerosene keep your white blood cells healthy, get a natural gas or l.P heater..

Everyone you will ever meet will know something you don't..

--
    My opinion, if you don't have a ceiling let alone an insulated ceiling, don't bother trying to heat that space. Save your Pennies, search CL for osb, or drywall. Even make a ceiling out of 2" pinkboard. Any $ you spend on the ceiling will be beneficial in the long run. Best friend has a 20'x34' garage, 8' ceiling. Insulated decently, has a hanging 220v heater. Keeps garage warm enough in the cold in winters. Electric bill does go up a bit, but he .doesnt have access to natural gas and propane is expensive. Wood stove is the next option but it has a high install cost. Food for thought man. My garage is warmer thAn the the house in the winter, but I spend all my free time out there. Heated with wood stove

--
    I would also get the roof done asap. No use throwing good money away. If you don't have the time. Paying for a pro to do it will still pay for itself. In one winter. Having said that. I had a 140K torpedo for 20 + years. Now, granted, I'm a farmer,so 40 to me is very balmy. But the noise never bothered me a bit,,it meant I was getting warm. The fumes never bothered me. I even used it in my basement a cpl times. Plugged it in outside for start up,then put it in. It would heat up 2400 Sq ft in a blink of any eye. I love em. But that's just me. I also have a new 220V Warehouse heater in my home. 5268 sq ft It takes the chill off mornings this time of year in a hurry. If you choose to not insulate. Anything electric will be gruesome.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //