//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardtail Racer Build - 85 ATC200S

--
    Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    The reasoning I've heard about the flipped grab bar is a racer back in the day had a bike land on him and the grab bar broke his back, so then the racers started flipping them or taking them off all together.
    1. Acts as a rear bumper if someone tries to ram you.
    2. Lower "handle" makes it easier to lift higher and load into truck bed unassisted.
    3. Best reason: Safety. Acts as a guard to help keep other riders body parts out of your chain in the event of a mishap.**
    4. Makes you look like a real a-hole

** Did anyone else see Tanner and Mac get tangled up in turn 1 at Ashtabooola 2 years ago? Tanners grab bar kept Mac's arm out of his chain.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by xrider View Post
    Subbed. Love a souped up hard tail. Hope the SAS class holds true for next year as I have one Im planning to drag out.
    It will. All the guys doing Super Mod Pro Unlimited Hardtail have a second race trike for this purpose. I think everyone is keeping their original Pete racer Stock as Excrement (SAS).

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Canadian View Post
    Very cool.

What is the history behind the name "Pete" for the trikes? Sorry if I missed something from the past.
    There was a guy Kintore used to work. No matter what he did wrong, he never got in trouble or got fired. Nothing ever stuck to him, so they started calling him Slippery Pete. It just took off from there.

Without mentioning any names, someone actually signed up their hardtail at Nationals under the name Peter Beiter. Hilarious over the track PA system loudspeaker and radio broadcast!!

--
    Over the weekend we successfully upgraded two race hardtails and one trail hardtail to disc brakes. The conversion takes roughly 2 - 3 hours. Much cutting and grinding and fitting and welding is necessary for this conversion. A big thanks to Kintore for getting this off the ground and doing his homework on this awesome upgrade and doing the lion's share of the work on my conversion. I do believe Monk Cox is to thank as well as he showed Kintore the ropes. We used TRX400EX rear brake calipers and mounting plates, and left hand master cylinders / brake lever, deleting the foot pedal all together. These pictures are not great, but will give you an idea of what is needed and how we did it.
    I'll take some pictures of it on the bike this evening and get them uploaded in the morning for a better look. We did test run one and the upgrade proves to be very effective over the old worn out drum brakes.

Reasons for upgrade: better performance, weight savings by ditching the heavy drum,shoes, cover, pedal, and pedal mount. I can't say exactly how much weight was lost, but I am guessing in the 1 - 3 pound range. When the build is complete, we will have it weighed to see final weight savings, but our SAS bikes dropped almost 30 pounds fom stock, and these will prove to be even lighter. I am shooting for a 250 pound final weight. Another good reason is safety. The drums wear out on these machines, and go out of spec. to the point where even with new shoes and cables, the shoes can not open far enough to give you the braking power needed. This is a wonderful project for the backyard mechanic and shadetree hacks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20171111_202034831.jpg   IMG_20171110_165633373.jpg   IMG_20171110_171735167.jpg   IMG_20171111_202030284.jpg  
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

--
    Best mod EVER for a hardtail ATC

Bravo

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Looks great

--
    Way Cool Guys!!!! ........Ol Deuce
    DO the Best With What you got !

My Feed back :cool

--
    Here is a better picture of the brake conversion. Now it's a matter of finishing dis-assembly and sending out for Powder Coat. It will be a few weeks until I update this thread anymore, as PC takes a week or two. Until then.........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20171113_200218443.jpg  

--
    Can't wait to check this out in person. I've always wanted to try this and always put it off. Gonna have to get off my arse

--
    Quote Originally Posted by schlepp29 View Post
    Can't wait to check this out in person. I've always wanted to try this and always put it off. Gonna have to get off my arse
    What's needed for Disc Brake Conversion:
    Parts - 200X rear brake hub and disc, left hand master cylinder, 66" long brake line, 400EX caliper and mounting (backing) plate (we all used Chinese cheap ones $20 on ebay)
    Material - axle spacer made with same ID as axle OD, thick walled tube for caliper mounting bolts, small pieces of scrap steel for welding in straps for strength members
    Tools - 4 1/2" grinder with cut off wheels, welder, buffer, grinder
    PPE - welding gloves, grinding face shield, safety glasses, long sleeves, ear plugs

Approx time to convert - 3 hours.

--
    All right! Thanks Tim. Still looking for rims so I can run the stock class with you guys

--
    Quote Originally Posted by schlepp29 View Post
    All right! Thanks Tim. Still looking for rims so I can run the stock class with you guys
    I am having the stock size 200S / 185S wheels made of aluminum. They are really best used up front only, as you want 5/3 offset for the rear for extra spacing. I already sold out of one batch, but there is another batch coming soon. Looking at Christmas time as it stands, but you know how backorders work, so it could be longer.

--
    Small update. While I wait for PC parts to come back, and I have all other hard parts cleaned, polished, sorted, I thought I would share my small collection of Big Al's NOS parts I plan on using. I've been collecting Big Al's 185/200 parts for not very long, but I think they will be my new go to on Hardtail goodness. A little picture to tease you all with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20171218_194102926.jpg  

xrider is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Love some old school BAPP parts. You need a set of their Grab-on grips, they scream 80s

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atctim View Post
    Small update. While I wait for PC parts to come back, and I have all other hard parts cleaned, polished, sorted, I thought I would share my small collection of Big Al's NOS parts I plan on using. I've been collecting Big Al's 185/200 parts for not very long, but I think they will be my new go to on Hardtail goodness. A little picture to tease you all with.
    Hay those parts where in my garage ! Thank u .
    * 1970 US90 Red
    * 1978 ATC 90/180 Helm&Son, Bandito /3D springer. ( Spaghetti Winder )
    * 1978 ATC 90/128 Bandito / Ace Williams Springer.
    * 1980 ATC 110/ ? Helm&Son, Dickson Full Suspended
    * 1981 ATC 110 MTC Full Supended
    * 1985 ATC 200s
    *1986 ATC 250R/310 2"+ Westcoast Swinger

http://www.ebay.com/usr/jwheeler760

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //