//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardtail Racer Build - 85 ATC200S

--

Hardtail Racer Build - 85 ATC200S

As many of you know, last year a group of us raced "hardtail" ATC200, ATC200S, ATC185S machines at Pine Lake. We had such a blast. We had some basic guidelines to follow for the bikes we raced / built. Known as the SAS Class (short for Stock As ), I can say it was one of the best times I have ever had on a track on 3 wheels. The guidelines are listed here:

Any hardtail 185, 185s, 200, 200s, 200m, 200 BR (god help you)
    Must be semi auto
    Stock frame
    Stock engine (Freshen ups allowed if you feel its needed, not all 33 year old engines are mint and its understood)
    No high comp pistons, cam, “clean up” porting none of that useless crap.
    NO bolt on power mods
    Unbolting items allowed, example: skidplates.
    22 minimum front tire
    18 minimum rear tire
    Max of a +6 rear axle, anymore and your over the trike triangle anyways
    This will keep us handling all the same or close to it
    Any period correct STOCK part is allowed. For example, if a 81 atc 200 wanted front suspension from a 85 200s. Im cool with that. Keep it within reason. Atc 200 muffler on a 185s that kinda thing. Parts can be hard to find for your certain model and swapping may be needed.
    Just keep in mind the IROC series of racing, stocker the better.
    Gearing,
    Please keep in mind that this is for fun, and it was just an idea a few of us came up with. We are not going to tear your trike apart, we don’t care. If you check out and pull away from the other 14 riders we will know you’re a cheater and a POS that can go camp with (Name Withheld but assumed).
    General RPFLU machines will have….
    Large honda H on front fender
    Gold Rims
    Sticker pack on rear fenders
    Vented front numberplate
    Stock fenders
    And a "pete" name. Example. Slippery Pete or Peters dragging or sneaky pete
    Keep the vintage look! Make it old school!
    We plan on running ashtaboola in the spring for a test and tune. Trikefest and the actual ashtaboola in July so far. Maybe even the Hamlin PA race. This is going to be excellent racing and dirt cheap to do!

If this gets out of hand it'll just turn into a free for all then you might as well run open. We all can dump 3 g into a hardtail but this isn’t the point.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161210_121852134.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	247428

Name:	pinelake.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	247435

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And so the saga continues. 3 of us at this point have gone a step further as to build actual well modded out hardtails. We were all very surprised at just how well these little bikes actually handle on a TT / Flat track. And so here we go with another build. Here is what I am starting with. A Facebook Marketplace find just 30 minutes from my house (my favorite year and model too) a 1985 ATC200S. It's really looks pretty rough, but all the parts I will be using from it are the frame, the front end, and that's about it. I will update this thread as I continue to build this bike.

Here is what I started with. Note the signature Joe Dasher rear fenders.

Name:	IMG_20170730_194002515.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	247429
    Last edited by atctim; 11-02-2017 at 04:07 PM.
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

--
    Here I am all tore down to the frame
    Attachment 247430

I was able to locate a new seat pad and seat foam from Ebay, and some new fiberglass fenders from Bryan Ditch.

Attachment 247431

Next weekend a few of us will be getting together to modify the rear brakes. We are going from drum to disc. Here are my parts, ready for some fab work

Attachment 247432

And here is a Big Al's (BAPP) case saver, which I never even knew was available for this bike.

Attachment 247433

Attachment 247434

I am also using a NASA +6" rear axle and TRX450R rear hubs to get this machine much wider than the stock 39" width. The new width is 48" with axle and hubs + 3/5 offset wheels. I have found a bunch of 4/4 aluminum front wheels for these machines too, so they will have aluminum wheels all around. Bye bye rusty heavy steel wheels. Hello powder coated aluminum wheels. Seen here is what they look like prior to PC.

Name:	4X130.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	247436
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

xrider is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Subbed. Love a souped up hard tail. Hope the SAS class holds true for next year as I have one Im planning to drag out.

RUNMEDOWN is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Love the idea and the builds. Hope to see a lot of pics on the next run.
    85 ATC110 - The Greatest ATC of all time - (My First - new in 85)
    83 FL250 - Odyssey w/420cc - SOLD
    82 185s -10.25:1 piston, Full 200x upper, Goki Electric start - SOLD
    84 200x - Auto-X - Weisco Hi-comp, Cam'd, Bassani'd, Westcoast swinger, -SOLD
    82 200E Big Red -SOLD
    85 ATC250ES Big Red - Snow Plow !

--
    I'd like to get mine done this winter and race ashtabula with you guys

--
    Hmm.I see some cheaters coming out to this one.lol

--
    Very cool guys. Keep it either stock or oem 200x parts if you're going to hop them up. Love the mostly stock race classes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

--
    So ,No 250r motor swaps.LOL. This looks like a fun class.
    250r rules

--
    Very cool.

What is the history behind the name "Pete" for the trikes? Sorry if I missed something from the past.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

--
    I was 200s, before 200s was cool.

--
    So, does a 185 chassis have to run the 185 engine or can a guy swap in the 200s engine. Asking for a friend of course.

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    What's with the upside down grab bars in the OP pics?
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootertrash View Post
    What's with the upside down grab bars in the OP pics?
    The reasoning I've heard about the flipped grab bar is a racer back in the day had a bike land on him and the grab bar broke his back, so then the racers started flipping them or taking them off all together.

--
    Class rules, flip the grab bar. Like a real a-hole. This is a fun group to race with, we rrally had a blast with these last year. Getting more out would be incredible.
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 86T3 View Post
    Class rules, flip the grab bar. Like a real a-hole. This is a fun group to race with, we rrally had a blast with these last year. Getting more out would be incredible.
    Looks like a cheap way to have a lot of fun. Do you have one Joe?

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //