//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacing 350x countershaft seal

DDQ is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

Replacing 350x countershaft seal

I am trying to remove my 85 350x countershaft seal. I drilled two holes in the seal, inserted screws and have pulled as hard as I can but tge seal will not budge. Does anyone have any tips or tricks?

--
    The screw and small pry bar has always worked for me .
    Just pulling on the screw probably isn’t enough leverage , claw or small pry bar will do the trick .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    The screws strip out of the holes when I pry.

--
    More holes, bigger screws/whatever.

Use a thin shingle or something plastic that you use as a fulcrum; I've seen people try and bend the seal out and break off small raised edges on cases....

Don't scratch the C shaft and when you slide over the new one, slide it over the corner of a ziplock bag and oil so it is not damaged by splines and gouges that are normally on the countershaft.

As far as alternatives, well, you know it's stuck in the housing and not on the shaft. I have dremelled crap down (like the OD of stuck needle bearings), I have also gone at these using like a 20 degree angle, horizontal, and a blunt tipped screwdriver and forced it to crush/fold up inwards and then it is easily removed.

Heat gun may help.....
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Thanks, I will give all that a try. I've tried all diffetent kinds of screws and none are holding.

--
    Use a heat gun and heat the case up around the outside of the seal.
    250r rules

--
    I finally got the old one out. Since nobody responded to my thread about which seal replaces the discontiinued OEM seal I ordered one the same dimensions from a honda watercraft dealer and as you can see it is not working. I guess I will just keep replacing seals with diffetent ones until something works.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171103_162049.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	247458

--
    Ddq, lots of seals for you on ebay- their 1mm thinner but will/should work fine.... Just make sure to install it squarely/ maybe a large socket or.....
    Make sure to get a double lip seal

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	247459 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	9 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	247460

Shep
    Last edited by Shep1970; 11-03-2017 at 06:35 PM.

--
    OK, so the seal I bought is correct, I just messed up the install.

--
    All the seals fit snug, just make sure its all very, very clean and put a little motor oil around the seal and push her in, but yes if it goes it crooked at all stop and re center it. (Thats sounds r-rated when i re-read it)

(Maybe order 2 or 3 spares just in case) ha.

Shep

--
    I am going to try the one in it since I think it will be so hard to get back out but Ill order a couple now.

--
    BTW here is what the old one looked like when I finally got it out..

Name:	20171103_161228.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	247461

Name:	20171103_155045.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	247462

--
    Looked at your seal pic closer- i have to recomend waiting for another seal, u have a nice leak waiting to start i can see Click image for larger version. 

Views:	32 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	247463

Shep

--
    You need to clean your countershaft. You knew going in the seal is junk. Degrease/polish it up like a new one before you pull the old seal out. Details are what make a job easy and long lasting,or drawn out ,frustrating and fail.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    There was a,1/16" gap between the seal and the shaft. It was stuck to the case.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //