//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Xt550 trike conversion build thread

plevib is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Mwhaha

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Atc 500x for the win! (Hopefully.... one day)

plevib is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Hah first guess propping it up with a random pipe and the rake is only .6 more than my 84r! Wheelbase is within a half inch, and I think with a little modification I can even get the seat hight really close (although I'll probably give it a couple inches more than my 84r) the handlebars would be 4ish inches taller, but I'll just use dirt bike bars to help make that up. I'm pretty shocked at how close all the geometry is! I thought for sure I would have to scale everything up a bit. Anyhow time to go buy some square stock to make a new shock mount!

--
    Rear suspension getting really close! Like my two piece linkage bracket? in the last linkage conversion I did the bolt wasn't removable without cutting the bracket off so this go round I thought up a better way. I also used square tubing to extend the spine which is much much easier to work with than the pipe I used before. Now I'll figure out where the shock lands and cut a notch in the square stock. I've also decided that I'm going to extend it to that cross piece in the sub frame so the spine will be as strong as possible. I'll do that when I lower that sub frame.

Woohoo!

--
    Didn't do a darn thing on this project during the holidays. -27 makes it hard to motivate yourself to work in a cold garage...

But today it was only -9 so I figured I'd take advantage of the nice weather haha

I decided to redo the front hub and did dual bearings. So the front hub has 4 bearings and a spacer in it now

So the front is ready to roll. Brake is all that's left and that should just be a custom caliper bracket to meet up with the rotor (I know, I know, it's kinda small..... Gotta use the one God gave you!)

kevin is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Nice build! Was there any work that had to be done to make those triples work with the yz forks?
    Last edited by kevin; 01-03-2018 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Auto correct

--
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    Nice build! Was there any work that had to be done to make those triples work with the yard forks?
    Not too much. I made shim for the top triples with sheet aluminum to take up the 2mm difference and I had to use Emmery cloth and a drill (and a lot of time) to shave the botton triples out 2mm. If one had access to a mill that would be a massive time saver. Also it'll require custom fender mounts and a custom bump stop, but it beats how much custom triples are!

--
    Important update! Got a front fender mounted! Major engineering hurdle...... nos maier for 40 bucks!

Oh also got the bottom mount for the linkage finished and the top mocked up (don't worry, I know the top isn't strong enough yet)

The wife is out of town so tomorrow may end up being productive if I get my butt off the couch!
    Some wider hubs for the rear are on order..... she's way too narrow, even for a trail machine. Should be about 2.5 inches wider and I may get spacers if I'm not happy with that.

--
    6th straight week of -10 degrees.... and not supposed to let up so i decided I'll just have to brave the cold.
    Picked up some wider hubs for 40 bucks. They are ugly (much black paint will be used on this trike) but the stance is much much better. Gained 2 inches but it makes a big difference

Anddddd..... well.. the tank is a goner. After lots of rust therapy and some bubble gum patching I found. ... lots and lots more rust pinholes. So, I've given up on this tank. I know when I've been beat. A glance at fleabay and I found a dented but no rust replacement for 150. Works for me, now I won't feel bad when I spray bomb it black and beat it up worse!

My fatty clamps came in, still waiting on my handlebars.

The Handlebars are going to be my reference. Because of the height of the front setup I'm using regular motorcycle bars (I may end up cutting them down a hair if they feel too wide). Everything else will be fabbed so I can adjust it all to work well with the handlebars (footpeg position, seat height, ect). Once the bars get in I can start hacking the subframe.

Last edited by plevib; 02-10-2018 at 11:04 PM.

--
    OK! Fine.

I got impatient.

And turns out I'm gonna have to modify the seat pan to make it drop down more. I think I'm gonna use the gap between the tank and the seat for a quick release hook as this fender will be mounted on a hinge (motorcycle kicker swings back into fender)

--
    Run a newer yz tank or a ttr250 tank. You don't need metal bashing up yourknees. It's 2018 not 1983. Tanks are cheap then you could run yfz fenders.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    Run a newer yz tank or a ttr250 tank. You don't need metal bashing up yourknees. It's 2018 not 1983. Tanks are cheap then you could run yfz fenders.
    I'll take a hard pass on the yfz fenders. Ugly as sin! You do realize you're on a board about machines that they quit making in the 80's right? Haha...

I agree that plastic tanks are less maintenance, but beating up your knees? And I've put freaking dents in my 500x tank and never even noticed any pain in my knees.....

But I already bought a replacement and I'm very happy with it. Plus I can paint black to match my other mad max xt550

--
    Oh man now I'm getting excited! Looking freaking sweet! I found a seat height I like. It's about 34 inches so it'll be like a hi flite which is perfect cuz I'm about 6'4". Now it's time to fire up the buzz box!

--
    Damn is that tranny geared that high to need that big of a sprocket with those tires? Anyways it's looking good
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    Quote Originally Posted by big specht View Post
    Damn is that tranny geared that high to need that big of a sprocket with those tires? Anyways it's looking good
    Haha was wondering when someone would notice that. No actually I'm gonna pull that sprocket off. I can't remember what the tooth count on it but I found a 17t for the front to make it reasonable to raise the chain. I was originally concerned with it riding on the chain slider but after look at some other modern bikes I guess they just do that. So I'm going back to close to stock

--
    Decided it would be easier to build a new sub frame rather than modify the old.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //