//ArrowChat Code
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Xt550 trike conversion build thread

plevib is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Burned some midnight oil and got the bottom end back together with the replacement parts. Still waiting on my rings to come in..... if they don't come in by the weekend I may get impatient and put it together without them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Atc 500x for the win! (Hopefully.... one day)

plevib is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Hoo-rah!

RIP gunny

Dropping it in tomorrow

--
    Can't get over how sexy this thing is

--
    https://youtu.be/O08xB8GMBbY

She lives! But I forgot to get a petcock so.... I may do a test run tomorrow with a lucas oil fuel tank haha.

--
    Got her all together! Took her for a spin and boy, holy torque batman! Feels really comfortable for me, which is something I don't usually say for my trikes (6'4") haha. Unfortunately the steering is pretty heavy. I'm gonna crank up the rear spring and slide the forks up in the triples to try to lighten it up some. But it's 4 in the morning so I'm calling it haha

]

Last edited by plevib; 04-22-2018 at 01:50 PM.

--
    Here's a better walk around video. One mean machine!

https://youtu.be/6aiy84ABlqY

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Looks great dude!
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Woohoo!

https://youtu.be/FmnDNPuBYwg

--
    Here's how it compares with my 84r. The rake is very close so the heavy steering must have to do with the head tube angle. Oh well. By the end of the summer I'll have a grin on my face and buff arms haha...

On a related note I found a very very nice head for the 500x so that one is going back together this week. Hoping to get them both done and take them to the farm this weekend, but I'll at least get the 550 done for sure.

Couple odds and ends left, then I can go for a real ride on it!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by plevib View Post
    The rake is very close so the heavy steering must have to do with the head tube angle.
    Correct me if wrong, but your VTX tripleclamps have zero rake built into them, and your 250R tripleclamps do. The 250R tripleclamps were designed for a trailing axle setup. I would try what you suggested in an earlier post (changing the rear-end ride height), but also spin your forklegs around to leading axle, then adjust from there.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    Correct me if wrong, but your VTX tripleclamps have zero rake built into them, and your 250R tripleclamps do. The 250R tripleclamps were designed for a trailing axle setup. I would try what you suggested in an earlier post (changing the rear-end ride height), but also spin your forklegs around to leading axle, then adjust from there.
    Yeah they don't have any rake built in, but wouldn't a leading Axle expound the problem? I'm no expert but my understanding is that a leading axle is more stable, but less responsive and a trailing axle is lighter and less stable. Maybe I'm wrong but that's why I went with trailing. Also all atc's I've seen are trailing

--
    There is more to steering geometry than rake. The "trail" part of the geometry I believe has a bigger effect. If you change your forks around to a leading axle it will decrease the trail, making the steering less heavy.
    YAMAHA 450 HYBRID
    85 350X- RED
    85 350x -BLACK
    86 350x-WHITE (with Goki)
    85 250r
    83 atc 70
    84 atc 70
    84 atc 110
    09 yfz 450
    2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
    RZR XP 900

--
    Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARLIN View Post
    There is more to steering geometry than rake. The "trail" part of the geometry I believe has a bigger effect. If you change your forks around to a leading axle it will decrease the trail, making the steering less heavy.
    You know after doing some more research I've found that my understanding of trailing vs. Leading may be backwards! I'll try flipping it and see if that helps. Thanks for making me rethink that haha

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARLIN View Post
    I think changing the axle to leading is going to make the steering heavier.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    With your combination of zero rake tripleclamps, trailing axle fork setup, and similar rake to your 250R, I'm betting you have way too much trail. Flipping your forks around to a leading axle configuration, with that same head tube angle, may result in too little trail, so you'll probably have to adjust the rear-end ride height, and possibly the front as well, to get the head tube angle where it needs to be, but you'll be happy with the effort when you get it right. Also, all Tecates & 350X's were leading axle.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //