//ArrowChat Code

Thread: How to Preserve metal tanks ???

--

Question How to Preserve metal tanks ???

I have some tanks that will get stored in a non heated building and was wondering what everybody else does to prevent rust in the tanks with out filling them all the way up with gas??
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    If you want to leave them empty you could try sloshing some diesel around in them, but I can't promise you it will last the winter. Two stroke oil would be my next suggestion.

--
    I have been spraying some lubricating oil in mine once in a while but just thought about storing some kerosene in mine for later use. That would work great right?

--
    Yea I think kerosene or diesel would be better for the long storage than gas. I was thinking about spraying the inside with some oil too
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    I buy WD40 by the gallon. Put it in a plastic spray bottle and use it for many things.
    Anyway, I dump a few ounces of WD40 in my tanks, and slosh it around before I store them away.
    It has worked for me.
    When it comes time to put them back in use, make sure to rinse them out with gas thoroughly -- but you already knew that.

ctk is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    I hear to store on there side. Better for the seams to prevent moisture. I dump fogging oil in my tanks that are in storage
    Chris

--
    Where do you get fogging oil? That's what I'm looking for somthing like that

--
    I bet you could get some at a PWC dealer.

ctk is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Any marine store. I’ve seen It at auto stores. They have aerosolcans or just liquid
    Bass pro
    Cabrlas
    West marine
    Chris

110 atc is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    I fill my spare tanks with drain oil. Been filled for years with no problems and won't go bad like gas.
    1982 110, 1982 Big Red, 1983 70 Christmas Special X2, 1983 185s, 1984 200s, 1984 200m, 1986 250r, 1987 125m, 1987 lt500r x2, 2003 Rincon, 2008 700xx, 2016 pioneer 1000-5

--
    Yea it will work like diesel. I thought about using diesel cause when ever I decide to use the tank I can just dump the diesel in the tractor and burn it or on a fire

--
    I can tell you what doesn't work and that's motor oil mixed with gas. I did that in a very expensive gsxr tank that still had the equaly pricey fuel pump in it. Left it sit for about 5 years, but sloshed the mix around every 6 to 12 months. Then one day I removed the cap to take a peek and found the inside of the tank covered with brownish red scale. Pulled the pump and found it gummed up with the same crud. I still don't know it it can ever be cleaned up, it seems some corrosion occurred as well. Never again.

--
    I thought you wanted to store the tanks dry? No gas.

Why not mix gas and a fuel stabilizer and leave them full? Is this because of the poor quality of gas now a days? Ethanol gas content?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Canadian View Post
    I thought you wanted to store the tanks dry? No gas.

Why not mix gas and a fuel stabilizer and leave them full? Is this because of the poor quality of gas now a days? Ethanol gas content?
    I've been hearing gas will be ok in a metal container for a year untreated and that treated gas will last 90 days in plastic jugs. Hot and humid 30 days on ethanol gas. Whats everyone been hearing or knowing?
    Above i stated kerosene may be a good choice but now that i think more my kerosene heater tanks have always been rusty as anything. Hmmm.... must have stored it dry a year for that to happen? Now used motor oil is sounding like the best way to me.

--
    If you're storing them dry I would think fogging oil would be a great way to preserve them.

A couple things I have learned about filling them with gas, which I always heard was the best way to store them:

1) If you put some oil mixed in with the gas it works well, but if you have a terrible memory like me you will wonder why the perfectly running machine you put away in the fall now smokes like a banshee. Yes, this actually happened to me this year.

And 2) we all know that water is more dense than gas, right? So the water will be at the lowest point of your tank? The bottom side opposite the petock will most always have the water, that's why so many of our pristine looking tanks start to leak at the a seam. I thought I had a mint 200s tank, after learning this from my friend I drained it at saw rust in that exact spot. Looking at the inside of the tank from directly above you'd have thought it was mint.

So what will I do? I plan on running some dry gas through the system, getting the fuel level as low as possible, and then filling it back up with non ethanol fuel with a little 2 stroke oil. I hope this helps.
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //