//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Front Suspension STUCK (wont compress) on Yamaha 225DX

--

Front Suspension STUCK (wont compress) on Yamaha 225DX

Anyone know why my front suspension/forks wont compress or go down when I hit bumps etc.?

I can throw all my weight onto them and they wont budge at ALL; the front suspension is totally frozen. Slams like HECK when coming down from wheelies (ouch).

Could they LITERALLY be frozen? Temp outside is like 20 degrees

Maybe they have water in them?

I just got the bike so I don't know if they worked before I bought it or not...

--
    That may be possible. I'd think that it's more likely that they have seized/rusted in place.

--
    How can I fix / unseize them?

Block of wood on top of them, and then pound that with a small sledge?

whipit is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    they are more than likely bent and bind badly when they try to compress

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Do not beat on them just yet. Simply put it on a box then loosen the top fork tube pinch bolt on the tripple tree then release any pressure if they have a valve in the cap then remove the fork cap then remove the fork springs then measure the fork oil level then try to compress the forks. If they do not compress remove them from the bike and see if either will compress. If just one is seized or badly bent it can prevent them from compressing.

If they are seized, the tubes will likely be pitted. If they are they will leak oil past the seal.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON OR A STAR

--
    Those forks don't have screw on caps. They use steel caps with O-rings held in by circlips that likely rusted into your fork legs in the early 90's. There are threads on here about how to remove them. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ight=ytm+forks Unfortunately the photobucket pics are gone.

Before you do that, remove the front wheel and see if you can spin the lower legs. If not they are likely rusted and not worth working on, but if they spin there may be hope.

Don't forget to try and loosen the 6mm damper rod bolts at the bottom of the forks before you start on the caps. I find heat to release the Loctite and a hand held impact wrench can work, but I've also used bigger tools.

Don't expect your fork legs to be straight. If there is an unbent set of YTM 200, or 225 out there they are likely bolted to a 1987 250R.

This is not a job for the weak willed. Make sure you're up to date on the latest curse words and have a good stock of Band-Aids on hand.

Good luck!
    Last edited by El Camexican; 11-14-2017 at 12:28 AM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    ...Unfortunately the photobucket pics are gone...
    They are viewable using the fix that 125Mmadness posted (I just tried it).

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...cket-forum-fix!!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //