//ArrowChat Code

Thread: ATC 70 OEM Ignintion Coils - Firing Issues

--

ATC 70 OEM Ignintion Coils - Firing Issues

I have two ATC 70's I am currently working on to give to my kids for Christmas. One is an 85 and the other an 82 and both had been sitting for quite a while before I picked them up and got them running. So far I have done the usual, cleaned and put rebuild kits with new floats in both carbs, new NGK spark plug boot ends and plugs, gapped the points, checked the valve lash, changed the oil. A couple of weekends ago was the "trial" run for both with me taking them out to my parents place in the country and letting a total of 6 kids give them hell for the better part of the weekend to let whatever is going to happen happen with them being they had been sitting. Well the 82 was the first to go Saturday evening losing spark. Pulled on it to the point I broke the pull rope so put it aside. Sunday the 85 was the second to go with the same, no spark. I ordered new points, condenser, plug for both which seemed a pretty decent kit at about $30 for each. I then purchased what was advertised as "universal" coils for both as well. This past weekend was the first I got to even mess with them and I only ended up getting to the 85. To my surprise it actually fired right up first pull. I rode it around and all seemed well, so decided to go ahead and do the coil swap being my flywheel puller hadn't made it in yet. Coil was identical and direct swap, but no fire. Tried everything before swapping back in the original and fired right up. Turns out the seller comes back and says its a 12v and not a 6v coil. Would have been nice to have that info listed in the description. Anyways, I let it run for about 20 minutes at idle, couple of revs here and there, seemed solid. Shut it off and cleaned up the garage and work bench. About 2 hours later I fired it up and went to take it down the block. Got through all 4 gears, ran good, headed back to the house and dropped dead. No spark again. It does now have the original coil back on it, so am guessing this is what happened to the kids the other weekend. What would be making the spark come and go with basically all the original firing components now again? I have read up on the neutral safety switch and have not tested that yet, but could there be anything else? Do the stators go bad just like that? I did try pulling on it again when I got home from work yesterday and there is for sure no spark at all now, hot or cold. Want to make sure I am looking over every possibility while I have them apart changing the points etc. Thanks!

--
    Buy OEM points from Honda the aftermarket ones available are crap , stators rarely go bad same with the coils .
    The 82 if it has the alloy flywheel make sure the magnets are strong .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    I am hoping that if anything the stator is good like you said and is one of the ones that rarely goes bad. The points tune up kit I purchased is from a seller known as Hondaproducts on ebay and seemed to sell a lot of quality stuff. The kit came with an NGK plug unlike other kits I found so was hoping it was pretty legit. Second guessing whether I should give them a try now or not LOL.

--
    Like shortline said buy OEM point's, Honda still sells them, sometimes its hard to tell from a Ebay and a pic if you are getting true OEM parts. I can say from experience that there definetley is a diffrence with points and a junk set can send you chasing your tail..

--
    I appreciate the input guys!

--
    So finally got around to looking at my 85 a little closer. Pulled the coil back off and snipped the ends of the coil wire for fresh contact points, sanded the frame and the coil for better ground, traced all my wires for any areas it may be grounding out, pulled the side cover and checked the neutral safety switch, all looked good. Had the plug pulled and in the end of the coil boot just to test as I went along by free spinning the flywheel by hand. After all of that I couldn't think what else I could do being I STILL do not have my flywheel puller in yet. Went ahead and re-gapped the points and they may have been slightly off but not by much. Spun the flywheel and got one nice blue flash and that was it. I worked at grounding out the neutral safety switch and still nothing. In that process, I went ahead and soaked the switch down with carb cleaner and blew it off. Shifted the shifter several times just to clean the contact area. Spun the flywheel again and still nothing. Finally I was looking around through the holes in the flywheel for adjusting the points and noticed the magnets had a slight rusty residue on them. Went ahead and soaked the insides of it with the carb cleaner and started spinning it by hand. Low and behold, she started throwing a nice blue spark. Kept at it and then blew it all out with air and put back together. Fired right up first pull and ended up riding it around the neighborhood for about 20 minutes last night and ran like a top. Having grown up around small engines and anytime I got my hands on a little Briggs that had been sitting, the process was to pull the flywheel and clean the contact points, magnets, magneto, carb, plug etc. and would always fire right up. Being these bikes had fire when I picked them up I neglected all of the above. I guess with the kids excessively riding them, all that rust worked loose and made it lose contact. Easy fix and thanks for the help guys!

--
    Hard to believe a little rust on the flywheel magnets were the problem , might be a bad solder joint and the cleaner helped with the connection , either way I would still replace the points and condenser .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //