//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Synthetic Two Stroke Oil Warning

--
    Lot of questions.....
    What bike did this pitting occur in?
    – KTM 300 EXC with about 70 hours on the rings, 140 on the piston and 240 hours on the rod and crank bearings (based of odometer and divided by 30mph ave.)

How did you realize it was that oils fault? – As soon as I saw the rust on the crank I googled “synthetic two stroke oil rust”

Can an engine be ran in that condition? – Sure. I just put 120 miles on it a few weeks ago. The red flag went up when I ran out of fuel after consuming over ¾ of a gallon more than the trip normally takes and ended up walking a ways. I monitor my mileage intensely and as soon as it starts slipping off I know I have a problem. If the air filter is good I pull the pipe and look for blow-by on the piston. If I have a dark ring and the rings have more than 1,500 miles on them its time. Each piston gets two sets of rings. Could go more, but then my cylinder will pay and that’s worth at least three sets of pistons and rings to re-plate.

Fix it to prevent a catastrophe later? – Absolutely. ANYTHING can happen with pitted ball bearings. Could luck out and run the thing for another 200 hours, or it could have packed up the next time I started it. I hit 85 MPH a couple times on this last trip. Can’t say I would have gone over 40 had I known what the bearings looked like.

Will a bearing just come apart shortly causing severe damage?
    – Could. Best case scenario the bearings start to chip apart and the crud starts to cause wear in other areas. I have some scratches on my piston skirt that likely came from particles getting on the sleeve and under the piston. Eventually the mains will get loose enough that the seals start to leak and that can cause a seizure. That is if the connecting rod bearing outlasts them, which in my case it probably would have. Hard to tell until the crank comes apart, but I can’t see any pitting on the pins at the moment.

What would likely happen to this engine, bearing seizure? – I think we already know. The bearing debris started to ruin the piston & rings and resulted in a 20% decrease in fuel economy. Next thing would likely have been a really loud rattling engine and a crankshaft seal leak, it could have also been an instantaneous bearing seizure. Ya never know until they blow!

Thinking run some regular non-synthetic mix before putting away for seasonal storage. Problem is the rm runs on 50/1 bel-ray and how in the world would i know how to mix a non-synthetic in the right ratio that would run long enough to ride it and warm up without getting it to lean and seizing the motor? Wouldn't be the same ratio, right? Wouldn't want to jet for the non-synthetic. – Don’t over think oil ratios. It’s listed on the can and in your manual. Anything between 20:1 and 32:1 would give you a nice coating and unless you’re doing tractor pulls with it to get it up to temp you can’t possibly damage it.

Got a headache yet? - Yes
    Would fogging oil get into the whole crankcase covering all the places the synthetic oil has coated? Good question there huh boys! – No idea. I don’t even know that running a few ounces of non-synthetic oil would displace the synthetic oil from all the surfaces.

I know just start it and warm the oil every month........the answer. - Yep
    Got to buy gas and keep fresh mix and drain carb and take out plug and.....fog it and....

I want to point out that there were previous signs that this was happening. I even posted some way back. First was that a brand new carb had a white fuzzy coating on the inside of the bowl above the fuel height and the zinc had corroded off one of the inner retaining screws. Another was that I parked another bike (same model, same fuel) for a couple months and when I went to use it the float bowl was full of water and the tank had water in it as well. It was as though there was alcohol in the fuel, be we don’t have ethanol down here. Instead it seems it’s the oil that is hygroscopic.

Humidity level is usually 20 to 40% here. It doesn’t rain much and my shop never feels humid. As well, The last time I pulled this engine apart there wasn’t a spec of rust in it, so I remain convinced that the pressure washing and not burning out the moisture from the cases is the main issue. If it was strictly a Motul oil issue it would be all over the Internet.

--
    Maxima 927 20:1 best oil if you dont let it sit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

--
    I used to fog my outboard engines. I have had a couple over the years. Small and a little larger. (9.9HP-60HP 2 strokes) It is great for storing a 2 stroke engine and yes it will coat anything in the air passage all the way to the exhaust.

You can buy a spray type. Works well. Again as said spray it into the carb at a increased idle. Spray until it dies.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

--
    You know alot about your bike El Camexican, think i learned some stuff in this thread by the way you told about the symptoms and others told about theirs.Pretty slick!
    You even answered the question i forgot but was going to ask, do they have ethanol gas in Mexico. Nope! You should get a tanker and sell that to us in the USA. Shoot if it's the old gas with lead, i'd pay double.

One things for sure i douched the Tecates' cylinders and stuffed plastic and old socks in the intakes after spraying some liquid wrench in the spark plug hole and through the intakes while kicking them over by hand. That will have to do for now but I've got a hot date with them girls this winter!

Edit:i used liquid wrench lubricating oil in there.
    Last edited by fieldy; 11-17-2017 at 01:50 AM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    I ran whatever was cheapest, but mostly plain ole valvoline 2 stroke oil.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Planning on using that same Valvoline in the rest of the motors that were manufactured in the 80's. It is on the shelf now.

--
    I'm just learning about this now so I did a quick internet search. Amsoil blames engine rust on fuel with ethanol in it (made from corn), not their synthetic oil (don't know about other brands). This makes sense as I've heard ethanol has a high percentage of water. Maybe when you combine ethanol with hydrophilic sythetic oil, you get a double whammy? Here's the Amsoil link:

https://www.oildepot.ca/does-amsoil-...il-cause-rust/

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Ethanol is also allegedly hyrgoscopic. I run non ethanol as much as possible.

I recently downloaded the Pure Gas app to show me local stations with non-ox fuel. I haven't really tested it yet, but it's an option for you guys who want to avoid ethanol.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootertrash View Post

I recently downloaded the Pure Gas app to show me local stations with non-ox fuel. I haven't really tested it yet, but it's an option for you guys who want to avoid ethanol.
    Ethanol, methanol and synthetic esters for sure. I’ve also found water in race fuel that was only exposed to air for a week. I don’t know what is in it (VP14) that drew the water in, but it happened a couple times during a particularly humid summer.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fieldy View Post
    Planning on using that same Valvoline in the rest of the motors that were manufactured in the 80's. It is on the shelf now.
    As a broke teenager, it was the cheapest stuff around and I trusted the valvoline name. Not once did it ever let me down.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    As a broke teenager, it was the cheapest stuff around and I trusted the valvoline name. Not once did it ever let me down.

Esso 2 stroke oil, after I saw "Imperial Oil" sampled on the bottom of a Yamalube jug.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootertrash View Post

I have a 100 gallon tank with a hand pump . I have 92 octane without ethanol for all of our small pumps motors. I try to run some of it through them before the tanks get drained for the year. Try to spray some wd-40 in the carbs too. I cant find any 93 octane non-ethanol from our local gas companies which is what i would buy. I guess i could add some octane to it but as you can guess, I'm no scientist.
    I will check that app, I'd travel for it.

--
    I'm not really surprised by this although not happy that it happened to you neighbor.

I used to run Amsoil Dominator in what is now my big bore R thinking it was the best I could give it. Then when I tore it down to do my big bore project after it was only run a couple months prior I found a light coating of rust on EVERY steel component inside the engine. Nothing was pitted, but it had this weird coating of brown stuff I can only describe as being dust-like in appearance that wiped off easily but still left a knot in my stomach. I ended up doing new crank bearings for the build anyway, but the crank got as good an inspection as I could conduct. Did some looking around and found this to be a relatively common issue with at least some of the full synthetics. I am sure that if left to sit for a longer duration of time it would have been worse. It was during this process that I discovered that printed right on the bottle of Dominator it states (paraphrasing) "for use in high performance engines that are periodically disassembled and inspected". That should tell us something I think.

After some digging around and seeing recommendations by known reputable builders I switched to Maxima 927 Castor and have not had any issues. Only thing about castor oils as far as I am told is that it does not work well at below freezing temps. I don't ride in winter so this is a non-issue for me.

All in all I think that generally speaking, mineral/castor oils offer much better corrosion protection for those of us who do not race our machines weekly.
    Last edited by RIDE-RED 250r; 11-17-2017 at 05:03 PM.
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    Quote Originally Posted by christph View Post
    I'm just learning about this now so I did a quick internet search. Amsoil blames engine rust on fuel with ethanol in it (made from corn), not their synthetic oil (don't know about other brands). This makes sense as I've heard ethanol has a high percentage of water. Maybe when you combine ethanol with hydrophilic sythetic oil, you get a double whammy? Here's the Amsoil link:

https://www.oildepot.ca/does-amsoil-...il-cause-rust/

They are full of male bovine excrement. Neither of my R's have seen a drop of ethanol since I have owned them and I had the exact problem with Amsoil and no trouble at all with Castor oil.

I haven't bought Amsoil in several years now and maybe they have pulled the "warning" from the label. But check a bottle of Dominator and see if there is anything that says something about recommended for use in engines periodically disassembled and inspected.
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    Good report El Camexican. I have tried to tell people your same findings for years now, but nobody ever seems to care. I'm big in the jet ski scene and rust on the crank/bearing surfaces is a major issue in the off season with synthetic oils, same with the snowmobile crowd. People can do their own searches on those forums if they like. A few crank builders in those industries will void their warranty if full synthetic oil is used. Jet skis always have it the worst, because of all the moisture they have in the engine compartment and exhaust.

I wrote off synthetic oils a long time ago in 2 strokes for that reason and also because they do not contribute to the combustion process process as much as semi synthetic or castor based oils that make more hp. But thats a whole other saga that I'm not going to get into because, once again people don't listen.

For people that still run the stuff. Make sure you "winterize" your motor in the off season by pouring an ounce or so of regular dino 2 stroke oil down the spark plug hole and rotate the crank a couple times to get the oil on the bearing surfaces. Good ol Supertech TCW3 watercraft oil from walmart works great for this. Spraying fogging oil down the carb throat body and spark plug hole is recommended also.
    4 Strokes are NOT the wave of the future!

--
    What about switching back to non-sythetic from full synthetic oil in a daily driven v-6 automobile engine, yeah, i put it in my truck too. Forehead palm smack.

Kind of a different subject but probably some wondering same thing since we all gotta have a four tire money pit thing to get around anywhere.
    Thankful i didn't put it in the Cummins.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //