//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Synthetic Two Stroke Oil Warning

--

Synthetic Two Stroke Oil Warning

I spent last night learning (the hard way) that synthetic two stroke oil containing esters are hygroscopic. Warning to everyone using this stuff, don’t just park your toys and leave them sit for extended periods with this oil inside!

All my engines get rotated at least once every 2 months and in the case of this one it has never sat longer than 4 months without being run. That said the main beatings in this engine are pitted, the crank throws have rust spots on them and even the wrist pin has a couple small pits in it. Now everything that moves will need to be replaced instead of what should have been just a top end job.

After a pressure wash I always start my bikes and make a lap around the block, but I guess I may not be revving them up enough to blow out all the water droplets in the cases and after doing some reading I found out that unlike conventional two stroke oil that would protect the metal from a little moisture, this synthetic stuff draws water in and allows the metal to rust instead of protecting it.

This set of internals has only seen Motul T2 oil and there was no sign of any of this the last time I did rings in it. I’m a little scared to peek in my Tri-Z and other dirt bike as neither have been run for over 7 months.

I plan to keep using the oil because it leaves almost no deposits on power valves and piston & ring wear is minimal compared to other oil I’ve tried, but I am going to start running the engines up to operating temperature at least once a month from now on.

Photos are coming…

--
    Hard to tell, but every single ball and roller is pitted as well as the inner and outer races.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E47B30E8-60BD-403A-B1A7-C07CB699D222.jpeg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	247564

Name:	99781F2D-C2B2-4A28-9888-EE78F9E236BA.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	247565

Name:	16118B1C-316F-4CA8-95B4-BB34136787B7.jpeg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	247566

Name:	796336AE-0CDE-40FD-BB49-0146744E1859.jpeg 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	247567

--
    Wow, thanks for sharing that. I never paid attention but I use honda hp2 in mine, I'm gonna have to look and see what type of of oil it is

--
    Started fixing

Name:	D533ECA2-AFD8-4683-893C-AD26E8DCD28C.jpeg 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	247569

--
    Man that sucks! I feel bad for you.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    Man that sucks! I feel bad for you.
    Don’t. I had a fresh spare engine that was swapped out for this one, so no down time and no rush to rebuild it. I am glad I didn’t leave it on the bench for 6 months though, it would have only gotten worse. Besides, the rod was probably going to be due in another 50 to 70 hours.

--
    Great! Wonderful! Terrific!
    My RM probably looks just like that. Love the Bel-Ray, guess that high priced stuffs gonna get the best of me. Definitely has sit a few spells. Hope it wasnt put in the trikes i bought. Always some bs. Awesome!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fieldy View Post
    Great! Wonderful! Terrific!
    My RM probably looks just like that. Love the Bel-Ray, guess that high priced stuffs gonna get the best of me. Definitely has sit a few spells. Hope it wasnt put in the trikes i bought. Always some bs. Awesome!
    Take a deep breath and count to 20 LOL! Unless you wash your bike and don’t run it up to opertaing terms after you might not have an issue.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Take a deep breath and count to 20 LOL! Unless you wash your bike and don’t run it up to opertaing terms after you might not have an issue.
    Machines sit on gravel and the condensation is horrible. Sometimes the engines are wet a sop. Maybe a tarp on the gravel floor would help. I have the carb and intake off a tecate and the sock crammed in there. The rings were stuck after about 8 months and i had pulled the plug and coated cylinder with extra 2 stroke oil to prevent it. Only took about 20 minutes to unstick it.
    That sealed up ready to ride synthetic oil engine rm has not stuck yet. The moisture in this Indana air is something special. I will just have to start it more and this winter my others will be run after thorough testing. Thanks El Camexican, ineed a shot already,lol.

--
    Machines sit on gravel and the condensation is horrible. Sometimes the engines are wet a sop. Maybe a tarp on the gravel floor would help. I have the carb and intake off a tecate and the sock crammed in there. The rings were stuck after about 8 months and i had pulled the plug and coated cylinder with extra 2 stroke oil to prevent it. Only took about 20 minutes to unstick it.
    That sealed up ready to ride synthetic oil engine rm has not stuck yet. The moisture in this Indana air is something special. I will just have to start it more and this winter my others will be run after thorough testing. Thanks El Camexican, ineed a shot already,lol.
    Sorry to hear that man. I'm not going to let stuff sit anymore either and I want to get something called engine fog that's sold at marine dealers in case I plan to store something for a while.

--
    Sorry to hear that man. I'm not going to let stuff sit anymore either and I want to get something called engine fog that's sold at marine dealers in case I plan to store something for a while.
    Used fog for years on my ski's. I'd start the engine and shoot it into the carb until it died. Then I'd pull the plugs and Douche the cylinders. The next year I'd replace the plugs, hit the primer a few times and they'd fire up. Usually they'd run like hell until the fog is burned out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

--
    The moisture in this Indana air is something special.
    I couldn't agree more. When I lived up there and worked at machine shops around central Indiana, you couldn't leave the doors open on the shop alot of times because that humidity would flash rust your freshly-machined parts in under 24hrs if you didn't dip them in rust inhibitor quickly.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Hard to tell, but every single ball and roller is pitted as well as the inner and outer races.

Name:	E47B30E8-60BD-403A-B1A7-C07CB699D222.jpeg 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	247564

Name:	99781F2D-C2B2-4A28-9888-EE78F9E236BA.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	247565

Name:	16118B1C-316F-4CA8-95B4-BB34136787B7.jpeg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	247566

Name:	796336AE-0CDE-40FD-BB49-0146744E1859.jpeg 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	247567
    Lot of questions.....
    What bike did this pitting occur in? How did you realize it was that oils fault? I would have never guessed the oil, i would have figured cheap metals and ethanol gas. Can an engine be ran in that condition or just fix it to prevent a catastrophe later? Will a bearing just come apart shortly causing severe damage? What would likley happen to this engine, bearing siesure?

Thinking run some regular non-synthetic mix before putting away for seasonal storage. Problem is the rm runs on 50/1 bel-ray and how in the world would i know how to mix a non-synthetic in the right ratio that would run long enough to ride it and warm up without getting it to lean and siezing the motor? Wouldn't be the same ratio, right? Wouldn't want to jet for the non-synthetic.

Got a headache yet?
    Would fogging oil get into the whole crankcase covering all the places the synthethic oil has coated? Good question there huh boys!

I know just start it and warm the oil every month........the answer.
    Got to buy gas and keep fresh mix and drain carb and take out plug and.....fog it and....oh yeah use non-ethanol gas always too..
    Last edited by fieldy; 11-15-2017 at 03:31 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    Used fog for years on my ski's. I'd start the engine and shoot it into the carb until it died. Then I'd pull the plugs and Douche the cylinders. The next year I'd replace the plugs, hit the primer a few times and they'd fire up. Usually they'd run like hell until the fog is burned out.

Did you run synthetic oil in your ski's? 2 or 4 stroke?

--
    Did you run synthetic oil in your ski's? 2 or 4 stroke?
    I ran whatever was cheapest, but mostly plain ole valvoline 2 stroke oil.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //