//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Big Red gas tank leak

--

Big Red gas tank leak

I have a '86 Big Red and the tank leaks on the lower left side,just under the seat. The previous owner tried to solder it but it still leaks and the repair looks awful. It isn't that bad of a leak but it's enuff to smell gas when I walk in the shed. Anyhow, I was talking to a friend and he told me that it's a common problem and a lot of people use fibreglass to repair the leaks. Any ideas on this procedure kicking around the board, or would it be a waste of time. I would like to keep the original tank at all costs. Cheers.

--
    I'm not familiar with fiberglass, but if you're looking for a quick/easy fix, use Seal-All. I see you're from Canada, so it can be purchased at Canadian Tire. It's not pretty but it works. I have used JB Weld in the past, which works for a while, but eventually the gas will start to leak through again.
    1985 Honda ATC 250ES
    1985 Honda ATC 250SX
    1984 Honda ATC 200M
    1983 Honda ATC 200
    1984 Honda ATC 110

--
    I think I'll take the tank off and give it a good look-see, haven't had her too long. I can get a tank for $165 but I'm gonna hold off until I see how bad it's gonna be, I just might try the fibreglass route, it'll never rot or crumble. Metal tanks tend to give up the ghost if they aren't kept full it seems, especially in our climate.

--
    Why dont you seal it from the inside? I have never heard of using fiberglass on fuel hard for me to beleive that would work..

--
    I don't think fiberglass would work either. My 1977 Bultaco had a fiberglass tank, but I'm sure it was sealed on the inside some way.

--
    Epoxy putty will work for a while, fibreglass the same, but if you want a permanent fix, best is to seal it from the inside with Red-Kote fuel tank liner, no more rust, no more worries ....
    1983 Honda ATC250R
    1983 Honda ATC200E BIG RED (sold)
    1984 Honda ATC200E BIG RED
    1984 Honda ATC200X (sold)
    1985 Honda ATC70 x 2
    1985 Honda ATC250ES BIG RED
    1988 Honda ATC250ES BIG RED
    1995 Honda Frankentrike 50cc 2-stroke
    2001 Honda TRX90
    2004 Honda TRX300EX (sold)
    2008 Honda TRX250TM
    1976 Suzuki RV90M (sold)
    1967 Vespa Primavera 125
    1958 Massey Ferguson 35

86125m is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    I think I would just buy a plastic tank and be done with it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-ATC-2...fLQsSA&vxp=mtr

--
    If it gets worse I guess I'll take it to the local tank shop and see what they can do. Other than that I guess it's down red-Cote lane for me. Sad to hear the doubt about fibreglass tho, I always thought it was tough and durable seeing it's what 95 percent of what fishing boats around here are made from. Cheers.

--
    Fiberglass is tough and durable. It just doesn't mix too well with gasoline. Water, on the other hand, is a TOTALLY different story.

--
    Before ethenol fuel most all inboard gas tanks was fiberglass with no problems.
    Ethenol gasoline eats away at fiberglass.
    You won't have any problems once coated with redcoat (so long as directions are followed. I have used redcoat alot ad picking up 2 more cans tomorrow for the 4 top mount tri Z tanks I am doing a run of.

john

--
    Well, I guess I'll be giving RedCote a try, thanks for the replies guy/gals.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //