//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Some Tecate 250 ATC Questions :)

--

Some Tecate 250 ATC Questions :)

I'm sure there is a certain someone that is gonna be very happy to see this thread

Anyways, now for the Tecate 250 (ATC) questions:

Do all the STOCK Tecate 250 ATC's have a KX250 engine in them?

Are they all 5 speed?

Are they all liquid cooled?

What years do NOT have the damn radiator where the headlight should be?

What years were the Tecate 250 ATC's made?

And last but not least, are the newer Tecate 250 ATC's better or more powerful than the older, previous models?

--
    Yes, Tecates have KX 250 based engines. There are some differences, though. The 1st generation Tecate has a different cylinder than the KX. The KX has auxiliary exhaust ports and the cylinder was a popular upgrade for racers as it offers more top end. Jimmy White ran one back in the day. I've got one on my 84, and a lot of Tecate guys install them.

Yes, they are all 5 speed--I wish they were 6.

Yes, they are all liquid cooled.

The 1st generation (84/85) have the radiator mounted on the triple clamp, the 2nd generation (86/87) have them mounted on either side of the tank. The triple clamp mounted radiator is not a big deal--not sure why people have a problem with it.

Tecates were produced for 4 years, 84-87, although I think the last year's production was reduced because of the evil Consent Decree, when greedy scum bag lawyers sued in the name of stupid people, and the government outlawed having fun on 3 wheels. Consequently, 87's are much rarer than 86's.

Overall I'd say the 2nd generation Tecate is an improvement over the 1st, better suspension, handling, etc. The engine is a matter of preference. The 1st generation engine has a big hit which can be very fun if you know how to use it. It also makes it a bit harder to ride fast. The 2nd generation engine has the KIPS powervalve, which gives the engine more bottom end and evens out the power overall. It's still a very fast engine, you just don't get the screaming "on the pipe" feel that you do with the 1st generation.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Gear ratios and flywheel weight and ignition and timing curve and carb size etc are also different.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON

--
    I assume all years came with brown fuel tanks?

That would drive me nuts if I had a nice clean one.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    I assume all years came with brown fuel tanks?

That would drive me nuts if I had a nice clean one.
    And flywheels that magically lighten themselves!

Joker 90
    1970 Honda US90- aquarius blue
    1981 Yamaha YT125
    1986 Yamaha Big Wheel 80
    1986 Kawasaki Tecate KXT500
    1987 Kawasaki KXT250B2
    2005 Yamaha YFZ450

--
    Remember......Only the Most Powerful 3 Wheeler in the Universe is capable of generating such centrifugal force.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by mattb348 View Post
    I'm sure there is a certain someone that is gonna be very happy to see this thread

Anyways, now for the Tecate 250 (ATC) questions:

Do all the STOCK Tecate 250 ATC's have a KX250 engine in them?

Are they all 5 speed?

Are they all liquid cooled?

What years do NOT have the damn radiator where the headlight should be?

What years were the Tecate 250 ATC's made?

And last but not least, are the newer Tecate 250 ATC's better or more powerful than the older, previous models?
    Ok, hi, how you doing? I must make you aware there is no such machine as the Tecate 250 ATC. It actually hurt to type that but the correction is necessary.
    Honda made ATC's, "all terrain Vehicles".
    The Tecate name is a much more sophisticated and serious title. See, here at 3ww those words don't go together and i am surprised the moderators didn't you down once again. They must be gonna let it slide.
    Edit: all terrain cycle, all terrain cyle = ATC. Now they are gonna me!
    Last edited by fieldy; 11-17-2017 at 01:20 AM.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by ezmoney1979 View Post
    And flywheels that magically lighten themselves!
    ummm...don't you have to go make another music video or somethin...

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON OR A STAR

--
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    ummm...don't you have to go make another music video or somethin...

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON OR A STAR
    Ah yes, I forgot. I will update that thread soon!

Joker 90
    1970 Honda US90- aquarius blue
    1981 Yamaha YT125
    1986 Yamaha Big Wheel 80
    1986 Kawasaki Tecate KXT500
    1987 Kawasaki KXT250B2
    2005 Yamaha YFZ450

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Drive View Post
    Remember......Only the Most Powerful 3 Wheeler in the Universe is capable of generating such centrifugal force.
    That would make sense if the magnets were glued to the outside of the flywheel.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Well Barnett had to take rider safety into account, he wouldn’t want the magnets flying thru the stator cover and ripping someone’s leg or arms off. The green machines power alone nearly pulls riders arms out of their sockets.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //