//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Speedometer gear seal-Honda 200e?????

--

Speedometer gear seal-Honda 200e?????

Will anyone know where I can find a seal? It was locked in there pretty good & spent a couple days of soaking to get it out. It took a toll on the seal in the process, but it was compromised to start with.Thanks for any help.
    Edit: I found out this is not a gear for the 200e. It's for a smaller tire.
    Last edited by Jd110; 11-29-2017 at 08:46 PM.

--
    Jd, have you had it completely apart to inspect the beveled and worm gear that often go to crap. ???

--
    Quote Originally Posted by jeswinehart View Post
    Jd, have you had it completely apart to inspect the beveled and worm gear that often go to crap. ???
    Hi John,
    The worm drive and other gear look great, as I see it. I haven't figured out how to get the worm out of the head, yet. Sounds like I should, so I will to inspect-Thx. It's in pieces getting painted.

Found a seal that might work, from Browns bearings thanks to local Honda.

--

From my exsperiance

The beveled gear you have in the egg carton, one with all the grease still on it,,,, is mainly the one I have found to be missing one tooth rendering it useless. Can't quite tell condition of your but with all that grease on it,,, well that's a very good sign it is in good condition.
    Hopefully you found a usable seal. If not, I may be able to seal off area where oem seal fits into + mold release everywhere inside and pour a Shore 80A rubber to seal.
    john
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails speedo drive gear.jpg  

--
    Haha. It had no grease, just brown sludge. My son just did that. We're getting a little ahead of ourselves. The only seal we could come up with is a tad too small. The OD is a tight fit only a bit short in the race. Pushed all the way down, it's not flush.

Thank you, John, for all your contributions. The old threads from you and the others are a very valuable resource. Oh, I was studying your picture above, just this morning. Happy thanksgiving.

--
    Yes, happy thanksgiving. Let me know if I may have a go at it.

--
    That's amazing imho. I really appreciate that. Your confidence in what you can do is nothing less than amazing.
    Truth be told, I pm'ed dirtcrasher before this thread. He got back to me tonight and generously offer his help and expertise in finding what I need. So I'll hang tight. I don't know if I can say thanks enough, but Thanks

--
    For anyone reading, this is not a gear for a 25" tire. Dirtcrasher sure knows his stuff. He knew it almost instantly. Anyways, I think I'll be ok.

--
    Honda did not make it easy; I've now found 4 different housings and 2 different drivers, I can only share what I have:

The seal in between the gear box driver and your hub is 30mm x 42mm x 8mm. The company I use has 7mm thickness dual lip and spring backed.

The seal between the gearbox and the gear box driver is 27mm ID x 36mm O.D. and forget the thickness (5,6,7,8mm) but it can only be raised up a bit before
    your seal pushes that drive towards the other side, you'll have less surface area contact.

^ I have seen that O.D. of 36mm and increases it to 40mm IF THE STEEL SLEEVE IS REMOVED out of the housing!! (I have found some gone...)

Now, the other style drive housing (which mainly I see with drum brakes) is different. It is 30mm I.D. (thicker driver), a 40mm O.D. and again the width is listed in the 1st line.

ALSO, that (lets call em o ring drives) have a different method of mating your drum to the hub and seal it. It uses an o ring 36mm I.D. x 42mm O. D. and 3mm wide.

To remove the pinion shaft, use a #29 drill bit (thats for an 8 - 32 " tap). Just hold the housing in soft jaws and use a punch to drive it out. Tap it 8/32 or MM thread for resealing. The o ring drives seem to have a setscrew and hat or cap on the bottom.

There is a knurled bushing, it's just driven in and has a thrust washer on the bottom (don't lose it), the bushing and the pinion seal is 4 or 5mm I.D. 15mm O.D. and 4mm thick or wide amd single lipped, no spring....

PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK OR ADD INPUT!! I'll try to get talp a talk on here later for pics. It's not on my phone....

Never pull on the top where that pinion shaft is sticking up, it will break.

P'S. It truly is tough for me to get to some parts, I have too much But that's why I may not respond to a PM until I know I have a few hours to try and help out.
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Alright, I double checked--it's 37mm 28mm 6mm.

1st post shows the O.D as 37mm.
    Would it be right to order this one:https://m.ebay.com/itm/AVX-Shaft-Oil...sAAOSwZ1lWfIJw
    It sure looks right.
    I really appreciate your time, I just searched this tonight after reading your post. I would have pulled the trigger on this last week, had I known better. Again, thanks for the info.

110 atc is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Does anyone have a write up on how to rebuild these drives?

--
    ^ You can't buy any parts, just seals.

The head is normally "not serviceable" but some of us ATC loonies just have to take apart everything,

JD - SEE!! I spent 2 hours draggin all the crap out, measuring it and it's different .

Don't measure the I.D. with the seal, use the O.D. it rides on, Should be 27mm. All the "d"s I have have 36mm ID versus your 37mm, no rhyme or reason to it....

In your 1st pic from the beginning, the bottom of the housing is beat up, is the retaining ring gone??
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    What are you talking about bud, It's in the making....!!!!🤠good question really. I did search first.

New seal was shipped this morning.

--
    ^^ I got you something, too. I just need your address. I'll check it out. Thanks

--
    Race is 37mm

Parts in order of assembly from left to right

The little thin washer I broke goes down first, then ring gear
    The seal next

Hub connection

Like I said, there is a seal on its way that will hopefully be the right size. I can let you know.
    Ps. Yes, the housing and inside of the hub connection (side that contacts the ring gear) has a few gouge marks-not sure why...??

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //