//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 85 200x mx suspension questions

--

85 200x mx suspension questions

I will try to make this as quick as possible. I have an 85 200x and race mx with the Florida atc syndicate mostly in the plus 40 class against mostly 250s. I do ok with just a few mild mods but i am in the process of building a race motor so i am wanting to upgrade the suspension to go along with it. Im trying to decide which way to go and hoping to get some advice. I currently have forks and rear shock from an 83 R and was pleased with the results. The problem is the swingarm angle is way off. I am trying to decide whether to try and modift the swingarm to accept the shock or just go back to the stock set up and have the forks and shock reworked by race tech or someplace similar. I would like to get some feedback from some of you who may have done some suspension work and cab lead me in the right direction. I know its going to be pricey either way just wondering where i will get the most bang for my buck. Thanks in advance.

--
    your swing arm will be off because you are using a linkage shock on a non linkage swinger also the shock is a little longer so it will not sit nearly horizontal like stock. It affects nothing, i put 500 miles on the red one shown in coal country and jumping it.

Most times if you are over 150lbs the stock spring will be too soft. its about 150lbs lighter then a 200x spring. I've build many of these.

PS...we also know how to run a 300ex axle in a stock 200x swingarm with slight addition of about 1/2" of material.

1st bike is 83R front end and rear shock on stock 200x swingarm modified for +4 300ex axle which is a bolt on after a little welding running stock 200x dog bone linkage.

2nd bike is 83R front end and rear shock on +1.5" hreatv.com swingarm with +4 82 atc250R axle which is a bolt on and running hreatv.com lowered 200x dog bone linkage.

the 83R shock is 3/4" longer then a 83-85 200x shock

I liked the ride better with factory dog bone linkage. If you do the mods right you get a 250R sized 200x which will stop the tippyness, and 5" of frame ground clearance. I highly recommend +1.5" - +2" swinger because it really helps...200x's are too short. I couldn't hill climb anything when I had my KX112 motor in and stock swinger.
    Last edited by oldskool83; 11-25-2017 at 04:57 PM.

--
    I weight 155lbs riding gear. +2 was a popular swinger for MX for the 200x. The longer R forks in front will increase wheel base about an inch so going back some will help doing whatever.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by dsprad26 View Post
    I will try to make this as quick as possible. I have an 85 200x and race mx with the Florida atc syndicate mostly in the plus 40 class against mostly 250s. I do ok with just a few mild mods but i am in the process of building a race motor so i am wanting to upgrade the suspension to go along with it. Im trying to decide which way to go and hoping to get some advice. I currently have forks and rear shock from an 83 R and was pleased with the results. The problem is the swingarm angle is way off. I am trying to decide whether to try and modift the swingarm to accept the shock or just go back to the stock set up and have the forks and shock reworked by race tech or someplace similar. I would like to get some feedback from some of you who may have done some suspension work and cab lead me in the right direction. I know its going to be pricey either way just wondering where i will get the most bang for my buck. Thanks in advance.

IMO, i would use the stock swingarm and the stock shock. The rear Showa is a very capable shock in the right hands. The builder below has built a few shocks for me and he hasn’t disappointed. For your Showa he would do a full PEP heart transplant and re-spring for your weight.

http://www.sfracingonline.com/pep/4537027440
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Why do you want to modify the forks since you said they are good?

You can reduce the swing arm angle by having a spacer installed on your shock shaft inside the shock or by having the shaft shortened, however, this will reduce the amount of travel you have at which point it won't work as well as it previously had and it will also change the steering angle so it will turn more "slowly".

You need to be much more specific about what you want if you want useful answers. If you are using a stock swing arm, you will likely benefit from a longer one.

Do you know how to build a high horse engine in one of these?

Are you planning to run race gas?

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON OR A STAR

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    You may also have to modify the steering stops so the bars turn a little farther if you use a longer swing arm if there is enough clearance between the tank and the tubes to do that.

Also, real race bikes like The TECATE...The Most Powerful 250cc 3 Wheeler In The Universe, have twist throttles.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON OR A STAR

--
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Build any stock 200x shock you want i will bottom it out in one jump.
    Wut? My left leg weighs more than you in full riding gear and I never bottomed out my full race pep setup. You jumping Willis tower?

--
    I am 6’3 270. I’ve taken doubles, table tops. That suspension held just fine.

--
    It’s amazing what shim stacks and a respring with some fresh nitrogen will do.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //