//ArrowChat Code

Thread: My experience/how-to on Plastic Welding

--

My experience/how-to on Plastic Welding

I've been experimenting around w/ plastic welding for some time now, probably not long after I got into the hobby many years ago. My first attempts started w/ a soldering iron and small strips of cut up fenders, which seemed to work, but failed to leave a favorable finish. From there, I upgraded to a Harbor Freight Hot Air Plastic Welder. I've played around w/ this tool now for several months and think I have a process, for the most part, calculated out. I thought I'd share my procedure w/ everyone.

Tools:

Hot Air Plastic Welder

Specialty Convex Finishing Tool

Dremel

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gun.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	995.2 KB 
ID:	248046Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tools.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	248050

My first real attempt at a desirable fixed part is a 85 250R Headlight Shroud. These pics show a crack along the top and extending outward.

Name:	main crack.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	964.0 KB 
ID:	248048Click image for larger version. 

Name:	main crack2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	248049

1) First, I used my trusty soldering iron to position the plastic to the original shape it used to be by tacking several spots on the back side. Once in position, I went through and finished melting the crack back together.

Name:	backside solder.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	248051

2) Next, it was time to move onto the main area. I used a small carbide bit from my Dremel set and slowly routed a V-Groove into the affected areas. After the groove has been machine, make sure it is thoroughly clean and I also use a scuff pad to remove any stray plastic burrs.

Name:	vgroove bit.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	916.5 KB 
ID:	248052Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vgroove1.jpg 
Size:	975.7 KB 
ID:	248053Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vgroove2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	896.9 KB 
ID:	248054

3) For my filler strips, I used a piece of an old 85 Big Red rear fender that had been cracked and sun toasted. I used a utility blade to scrape this clean and remove any impurities. Then I used the Dremel and cut off wheel to cut thin strips.

Name:	sacrificalplastic.jpg 
Size:	953.7 KB 
ID:	248056

4) I found the heat setting of 5 to work the best, it seems to heat up quickly, but not scorch or burn the plastic at the same time. To start, I heated the tip of the filler rod until it became soft and also heated the start of the cracked area. I continued going back and forth between these areas until you can notice the plastic just slowing starting to melt on the very outside tips/crack. Once it is hot enough, place the tip of the filler rod into the crack and let it cool such that you have a solid filler rod at the beginning of the crack.

Name:	heat1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	248055Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gun2.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	248047Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tackedfillerrod.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	248057Click image for larger version. 

Name:	meltfillerrod.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.70 MB 
ID:	248058

5) With the filler rod tacked in place, use the plastic welder to heat the crack and rod simultaneously, sort of in a back and forth motion. If heating correctly, the crack will soften just enough to adhere to the rod, and if the rod is cut thin enough, it will almost fall directly into the groove. I try to keep the filler rod almost in a vertial position at all times, just slightly pointing back the opposite way from the plastic welder and pushing into the groove. This step is hard to explain and I don't have enough hands to capture a pic and weld at the same time.

Name:	welded2.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	248061Click image for larger version. 

Name:	welded1.jpg 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	248060Click image for larger version. 

Name:	welded3.jpg 
Size:	939.6 KB 
ID:	248062

6) When the weld has been completed, I use my "special" spoon and go back and heat up the welded area and "roughly" smooth out the area w/ a spoon. This helps fill in any cracks or crevices.

Name:	spooned1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	248063Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spooned2.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	908.3 KB 
ID:	248064

7) Now that the welding and filling is done, the hard part begins. Sanding and finishing. I use a 120 grit drum sander for my Dremel and attempt to remove the high areas. This can be difficult to do w/o going to deep or gougin the material. I got a little too agressive on a few areas on this. I'm hoping most the of the imperfections will come out in the wet sanding steps.

Name:	drumsander.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	248065

8) I also picked up some fine sanding wheels for my Dremel. I belive I received a 180 and 220 grit wheel? Shown is the coarser of the 2. After the drum sander, I use this wheel to fine tune the area a little. It will still look rough after this is done, but it should start to come back to life after a 180 grit wet hand sand.

Name:	roughsand1.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	953.1 KB 
ID:	248066Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roughsand2.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	941.1 KB 
ID:	248067Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roughsand3.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	248068Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sanderwheel.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	248069

9) After these steps, its onto a wet hand sand and buff process. This is as far as I have made it on this area. I have a few pics of an area I already performed. In my opinion, it turned out well. It's hard to see where the filler material was added, but up close you can see it. It's also extremely hard to finish these small contoured areas. If it were on a big rear fender and not curved so much, it would be easier to sand and make it look even better.

Name:	finished1.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	248070Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finished2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	949.4 KB 
ID:	248071

I hope to add more pics in the next few weeks of more finished results. I wouldn't claim this is a process for a showroom restore, but it's better than stitching or a soldering iron. I think it will just fine shined up and from 10 feet away.

--
    Good write up.
    I got one of those HF plastic welders at a yard sale for 5 bucks. Used it to fix a crack in my RV water tank. Sealed the crack but looked like crap.
    YAMAHA 450 HYBRID
    85 350X- RED
    85 350x -BLACK
    86 350x-WHITE (with Goki)
    85 250r
    83 atc 70
    84 atc 70
    84 atc 110
    09 yfz 450
    2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
    RZR XP 900

--
    Your work looks awesome, no doubt!

But I think the best plastic welding method is called zip ties and a drill

I think plastic welding works well for things that NEVER move (as in they aren't attached to anything that is ever going to move, or have any sort of pressure on it.)

I did a LOT of research on this, and the common theme was this:

Over time, the plastic weld will likely fail at some point, or at least SOME of your welds will fail.

I don't think this has anything to do with how good you are at plastic welding either.

Even if you weld a fender (etc.) on your bike that has no direct pressure or weight on it, it will STILL have some sort of pressure on it (just from driving the bike, hitting bumps, the WIND at 40+ MPH, etc.) That, and the constant vibration of the bike while it is running.

The problem with plastic is that NOTHING wants to make a GOOD/Permanent bond with it. Not super glue made for plastic, plastic JB weld, not "Rapid Fix", not even fiberglass (but MAN does fiberglass work awesome on metal!!)

Plastic is a REAL B*TCH to try to make anything permanently bond to. Plastic is a weird thing... for example, certain acids that can melt metal will NOT melt plastic.

I know zip ties look like crap compared to plastic welding, but they NEVER fail (unless your zip ties suck or something

Did I mention how bad plastic pisses me off?

--
    I can't say I have any real world usage on average to severe abuse on plastic welded repairs. Any repairs I make on my personal machines will merely be for cosmetic purposes. I drive them around the yard or around town, and would never see any action that would put them under any serious stress. I would be curious to know how well it would hold up over time for someone who races or trail rides quite a bit. I can say just from a hand test, that it is quite a noticable difference in how much "flex" this shroud has from before to after the repairs.

--
    I would think a repair like that would hold up fine on a headlight bezel. I've seen people use a plastic mesh type stuff you get at a hobby shop plastic welded to the underside of fenders to reinforce the weld.
    YAMAHA 450 HYBRID
    85 350X- RED
    85 350x -BLACK
    86 350x-WHITE (with Goki)
    85 250r
    83 atc 70
    84 atc 70
    84 atc 110
    09 yfz 450
    2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
    RZR XP 900

--
    Iv done similar repairs on plastics and they held up fine riding and racing.I use a heatgun,soldering iron and a old flatiron.I think Newby200x is doing a great job.
    250r rules

--
    Very nice job plastic welding that headlight. One of the nicer plastic weld jobs I have seen! Keep up the good work!
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Yea I guess that plastic weld will probably hold, considering it is only used on the headlight plastics.

Hey atc300r, did you plastic weld actual fenders on your bike (the ones that held up to riding / racing)???

Or just headlight plastic and other areas that don't get much movement/stress/wind force?

--
    I welded fenders.
    250r rules

--
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7icuxY2lC8&t=112s

Did this almost 4 years ago. The fenders have cracked in many new locations but all my welds are holding strong.
    85 Tri-z Power valve on Inverts
    85 Tri-z Basket Case
    01 gsxr750 engine/Tri-z frame (long long way from complete)

--
    Looks like you did quite an impressive job. My goal is to provide a repair that is strong, yet almost unnoticeable that it had ever been done. I think this process gets that very close. If the "fill" area wasn't a few shades darker red than the original, it would be hard to know that it had ever been welded.

--
    X2 . Its hard to get the color to match with heat to much heat and it gets dark.
    Quote Originally Posted by newby200x View Post
    Looks like you did quite an impressive job. My goal is to provide a repair that is strong, yet almost unnoticeable that it had ever been done. I think this process gets that very close. If the "fill" area wasn't a few shades darker red than the original, it would be hard to know that it had ever been welded.
    250r rules

--
    Thanks. for that quad i didn't care about how it looked. what the video doesn't show is that i flip the fenders over and do the top side also. This past weekend I had these fenders back off for more repair. One of mt horses kicked the front right fender off. It is now whole again with all the new cracks fixed.
    If you zoom in on these fenders you can see all the battle scars.

Name:	IMG_0122.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	248132
    Last edited by NeverLift; 12-05-2017 at 04:09 PM.
    85 Tri-z Power valve on Inverts
    85 Tri-z Basket Case
    01 gsxr750 engine/Tri-z frame (long long way from complete)

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //