//ArrowChat Code

Thread: New from Northwest Arkansas

--

New from Northwest Arkansas

Hello all thanks for the add I am a noob from Northwest Arkansas! I am currently seeking help, advice, direction etc..

A bit of a back story on this machine my wife's uncle got this 1974 atc 70 new in 75 when he was a kid. He out grew it so his parents decided to sell it. Well he recently found it a few hours away from home and decided he wanted to give it to his kids. Insert me the family mechanic, no big deal right?.. Wrong. I did the typical soon as I got it checked compression, rebuilt the carburetor, changed the oil, and checked for fire. Everything seemed good except no spark. So do it right the first time right!?! I replaced the coil the points the condenser cleaned the stator and the flywheel, still no fire. I have NEVER dealt with points I can find plenty of literature on how to adjust or change the points. But I cannot find anything to help me test what is still not allowing it to fire. ie test for ground here, check continuity here and here, do you have power here excetera.

All help is greatly appreciated
    Thanks Cody.

--
    I sent you a PM.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Is there a way to eliminate the kill switch temporarily other than taking off the ground?

Outlaw #24 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Most likely the problem. It is a Honda and should be something simple. Above all DO NOT use Chinese ignition parts on a Honda. Haven't seen any of those parts work correctly!

--
    So I was messing around with it today and removed the ground still nothing out of the coil. The points and condenser are honda but I am not 100% on the coil. I usually try to go with the factory equipment. Is there any test to do to verify my points, condenser, magneto are working as they should. I grew up after the points era so unfortunately I am not all that familure with the system.
    Thank you all for helping me brain storm I am almost to the point of giving up on this one and that is not something I am not used to.
    Last edited by bbigc01; 12-14-2017 at 10:25 AM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Drive View Post
    Don’t give up, it will be worth it when you get it running. Look thru this site, there’s plenty of new parts for the electrical system:

http://www.hondaatc70.com/electrical-and-lighting.html

Post some pics of your points and condenser. Let’s see how it looks, Mabey there’s something we can spot that your missing. I started working on points last April, now they are real easy to work on for me.
    Attachment 248360Attachment 248360Attachment 248360

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1214170716_Film1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	248437Click image for larger version. 

ID:	248437Click image for larger version. 

ID:	248437

--

Name:	1214170716b_Film1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	248439 hopefully one of these pics will shed some light on my issue

--
    What is that white piece of plastic behind your points? I have never seen anything like that on my engines before. It’s hard to tell if your points are set to the right position with that piece of white plastic in the way.

Id suggest you remove that, there should be a slot behind the points in the timing plate where you set your point gap. The instructions are explained very well in the video I posted earlier.

Have you removed the coils and inspected them? Make sure the copper wire is not damaged or broken. That electrical tape is kind of a red flag as to some possible pre-exsisting damage. If there is a break in the wire anywhere you can try soldering it together, that may work in a pinch. But if you find any damage I’d suggest ordering new coils from the link above.

--
    When you set the point gap, make sure your flywheel is attached and set to TDC. I have never used a feeler gauge at all when setting my points. Just follow the instructions in the video, you may have to try it a few times but do not get discouraged.

How is your felt pad? Make sure it’s clean and greased up.

At first it may not work even when you set the flywheel to TDC, sometimes ppl set the flywheel to TDC but it may be off 180 degrees. If all your parts are in good order it should start within a few tries.

*** Check those tabs on your condenser, if they are touching the outer edge of the condenser it may be grounding out and not working. You should always make those tabs fold over neatly and solder everything very clean.***

Name:	28668D4D-CA1B-4F8C-91F0-DC7774101170.jpeg 
Views:	24 
Size:	2.97 MB 
ID:	248501Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91B9125D-498F-4AA6-B30F-7ADE1A1E55FA.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	248502Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0CAD8C64-F5E8-4945-9050-50F63A631040.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	248503Click image for larger version. 

Name:	83E66223-27F9-42DE-BA2C-DCCAFEEC0037.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	248504

Here’s a wiring diagram if that helps you.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/content.php/191-ATC70
    Last edited by 3 Wheel Drive; 12-20-2017 at 03:03 AM.

--
    The plastic behind the points is me brain storming on what could be causing me not to get fire. I do not have the felt on my condenser like in the pic you posted so I will look into that asap. The electrical tape on the coil is me also just redoing what was done by someone else in the past.

--
    I’m thinking your condenser tab that is folded over is probably touching the outer edge of the metal body & grounding out the circuit. They usually come much too long & I sometimes snip them shorter to make a less cluttered area.

Remove that plastic it’s also just in the way, your almost there. You may want to order a new ignition coil if you can’t start it after checking the condenser. I’d desolder that condenser and clean that area up, snip those tabs shorter...there way to long to begin with imo.

Name:	E6C83152-C057-4618-9932-0ABDBF52371F.jpeg 
Views:	27 
Size:	556.0 KB 
ID:	248526

http://dratv.com/clonpictosee15.html

http://www.hondaatc70.com/electrical-and-lighting.html

Last edited by 3 Wheel Drive; 12-20-2017 at 03:14 AM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //