//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight: the good, the bad, and the ugly

kiser is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    I bought one of the drive on motorcycle lifts from there in July and so far so good with it. A friend of mine told me they are kind of flimsy for a Harley though. The heaviest thing I have had on it is my Big Red and it lifted it fine. It should last me for a long time as much as I will use it.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARLIN View Post
    They have 2 product lines on the wrenches and sockets. If you step up to the pitsburg "PRO" line up, they aren't bad at all.
    I am glad I have two stores to choose from I never saw their polished wrenches until a new store opened up. I bought the metric long polished combos for under 20 bucks and they appear to me as pretty decent.
    I bought an engine camera used it once it had crappy resolution and the on/off switch was faulty - used it once and sent it back for a refund.
    They sell a decent plastic welder I have had good luck with too.

--
    Cheap Chinese electric tool story about a guy that at one time supplied them to HF and others...

So I’m in this guys office visiting about some products he was building for us and I noticed all the tools in his display room including a grinder that was identical to the one that I had just bought a couple months earlier which died out about 15 minutes after I started using it.

I said to the guy, you export those to the United States? He responds yes I have been selling those to the United States for years, why? So I tell him my story of how this thing burnt out almost immediately after I started using it. He starts laughing at me hysterically and pointing at me and after he regained his composure he says in his thick Chinese a sent, you actually try to use that grinder for working??!!

I’m like, yeah and he starts laughing again and says that grinder not for use, only show for American to paint picture on wall in house and hang for show.

So there you have it, they don’t even expect anyone to use that cr•p.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Cheap Chinese electric tool story about a guy that at one time supplied them to HF and others...

So I’m in this guys office visiting about some products he was building for us and I noticed all the tools in his display room including a grinder that was identical to the one that I had just bought a couple months earlier which died out about 15 minutes after I started using it.

I said to the guy, you export those to the United States? He responds yes I have been selling those to the United States for years, why? So I tell him my story of how this thing burnt out almost immediately after I started using it. He starts laughing at me hysterically and pointing at me and after he regained his composure he says in his thick Chinese a sent, you actually try to use that grinder for working??!!

I’m like, yeah and he starts laughing again and says that grinder not for use, only show for American to paint picture on wall in house and hang for show.

I never forgot that story after the first time I'd heard it years ago from you. I've actually told it to a couple of people as well.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    I suppose next you're going to tell us that Santa isn't real ?
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --

Was the name of the company Sum Ting Wong?
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--

That is their strategy. When dewalt wanted tools made in China they needed fill time American staff overseeing the assembly line. Buggers would continually attempt to put defective drills back on the line hoping they would get past inspectors the second time around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sledcrazyinCT; 12-14-2017 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Trail pro editor missed f$&@&ers

--
    Quote Originally Posted by sledcrazyinCT View Post
    That is their strategy. When dewalt wanted tools made in China they needed fill time American staff overseeing the assembly line. Buggers would continually attempt to put defective drills back on the line hoping they would get past inspectors the second time around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You should hear some of the quality control stories that go around at English friendly bars in China The Chinese are starting to get it, but it’s taken a generation. I figure in 20 years they will be as good as the Japanese if you want to pay for it, but cheap stuff will always be cheap stuff. The low cost stuff is already shifting out of China, the workforce is becoming more sofisticated and pollution is no longer tolerated. Take a look at the “Made in _____” label on stuff, over the next few months, it’s changing.

--
    I like their floor jacks, never had any issues with mine and never heard of anyone else having issues with them. Also have their 20 ton shop press which seems to work well for me, but to be fair it's not something I use very often so who knows how it really holds up.

Like ironchop mentioned I've found that it's a good place to grab some obscure tools when you need them quick.

No doubt they have some products that are actually decent but I have gotten my fair share of junk there as well. And by junk I don't mean one time use type tools, you expect that with a lot of them for the price, I mean tools that won't even get you through that one time use.
    1986 KLT 185
    1984 200S

Feedback Thread: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-Ebaccm26

AMK is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170807_172554.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	248408

This is my only HF tool but so, so precious.
    I havent attempted any auto tires but atv, motorcycle, garden tractor and trailer tires it works well on.
    It's paid for itself many times over.
    Alan

1985 350x
    1984 200es Big Red
    1985 200s (little red)
    1986 200x saga
    2) 1985 350x projects
    And a slew of others to hold my attention

--
    Quote Originally Posted by AMK View Post

I havent attempted any auto tires but atv, motorcycle, garden tractor and trailer tires it works well on.
    I have one too! I've used it on car tires and it's great.
    I did make 2 mods - I replaced one end of the bare with a No-Mar tip and I boxed in the bead breaking shoe.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by AMK View Post

What is the model number of that bead breaker? I haven't seen that style on display at either of my local HF.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by sledcrazyinCT View Post
    What is the model number of that bead breaker? I haven't seen that style on display at either of my local HF.
    It's item #92961.
    Alan

1985 350x
    1984 200es Big Red
    1985 200s (little red)
    1986 200x saga
    2) 1985 350x projects

--
    Quote Originally Posted by jb2wheels View Post
    I have one too! I've used it on car tires and it's great.
    I did make 2 mods - I replaced one end of the bare with a No-Mar tip and I boxed in the bead breaking shoe.
    The only mod i did was to bend a tighter radius for the smaller rims and bend the lip up for more grip on the bead.
    Alan

1985 350x
    1984 200es Big Red
    1985 200s (little red)
    1986 200x saga
    2) 1985 350x projects

125Mmadness is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Ive bought two of the older style earthquake 1/2" impacts. The first one, i got mad at something i was working on and threw it down with the airhose still attached and broke the fitting off inside of it and wasnt able to get it off because it broke flush with the insert in the bottem. I then bought another because they are so cheap, and after it fell on the concrete a few times the selecter in the back wouldn't move so I swapped the insert into the other one and I'm still using it to this day. Ive also bought the 3 ton floor jack a few years ago and it still works great. I've bought miscellaneous hand tools and they've been good.
    1985 ATC125M: Parts
    1985 ATC200S: 84 200S Bottem end, 200x Head, 200x Carb, S&S Cycle Exhaust, Wiseco 10.25:1 Piston, Reground Cam with About 1mm more lift(unknown specs).
    1988 TRX250X
    1983 ATC200E: Total Pile.

"Bout Tree Fiddy" Master of Thy 22RE

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //