//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 85' Atc 70 wiring help

--

85' Atc 70 wiring help

Hello all,

My name is Matt and I'm new to the forum. Scored this atc 70 which didn't have spark and want to build it up to have some fun. Before doing a motor swap I want to see how this thing runs and kinda figure it out from there. I bought a new coil, stator kit, plug, flywheel puller and etc. I want to try doing the coil and plug before I get into the stator. Is my wiring correct ? When I bought it they had both greens and the neutral safety wire tied in and grounded out at the engine bolt. The new stator has the green mounted right to the bracket ? Is this wired up ok to try and get it running ? I believe the green wires are for a light and the light green with the red is the neutral wire but not sure where they need to be connected. I appreciate any help given !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	1709 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	248478   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0116.JPG 
Views:	227 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	248479  

--
    Welcome Matt, in my opinion I never ground anything to a frame unless it suppose to be that way.. what year 70 ya got there?
    Upon further inspection what you have there looks correct.. check your plug cap make sure the end of the wire is good..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171217_154410709.jpg 
Views:	766 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	248482
    Last edited by DAM shop; 12-17-2017 at 05:50 PM.

--
    Thanks for the speedy response and diagram. Trike is a '85. Plug cap is brand new along with coil and plug. Just was trying to get it running and didn't have any luck. I bought the stator rebuild kit as well so that'll be my next move.

--
    I attached the diagram for the 85 model. Not many wires on that lil guy. I guess those years (1983-1985) didn’t have any lights?

From your pics:
    Black wire = pulsed AC output of stator from outer rotor type alternator. (which then goes to the ignition coil)
    Green wire = ground wire from stator which connects to neutral safety switch
    White/Red stripe wire = neutral safety switch (which then connects to ground when in neutral)

Anyways, If you ground the stator directly to the bolt like shown, I think you would eliminate the neutral safety from the circuit. I think the dark green from the stator should be wired to the white/red wire from the neutral safety switch with an inline connector not attached to the frame. Then, when it is in neutral, the safety switch completes the ground path. (you can check the operation of the neutral safety by doing a simple continuity test with the red/white wire and a ground point. In neutral = continuous, in gear = not continuous) While you're at it, I would check all the grounds in the system to make sure they work properly. this includes the kill switch and grounds on ignition coil. All grounds should link with the ol continuity test. A lot of times, no spark is simply a kill switch prob (kill switch output wire should only go to ground when in "off" position.)

Check the black wire off the stator for an AC output with a multi-meter when you pullstart it. If you have something there, move on to the coil then plug... if not, pull the flywheel and check the windings on the stator for continuity and connectivity with the black wire output that goes to the coil. Usually its just a loose wire connection or solder joint on the stator which is essentially just a bunch of loops of wire. At this point you could choose to replace the stator, just make sure you replace it with the proper 2 wire stator for your year.

Let us know how it goes.. hope this helps.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18350968-1440-4A8A-B428-10525EB8EEE2.jpeg 
Views:	3150 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	248595.
    Last edited by Black_Widow; 12-23-2017 at 03:34 PM.
    1983 ATC 110
    1983 ATC 110
    1984 ATC 125m
    2003 CRF 450R
    2015 Suzuki M109R

--
    I know this is a super old thread but did it work for you? I have a similar situation on my bike. Except the wires coming out of the engine were soldered to a rectifier... So I took that off because that bike shouldn't have a rectifier.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //