//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Polaris Outlaw 525 Build

--

Polaris Outlaw 525 Build

I bought this 07 outlaw for 1300 bucks. The guy said it had a bad head gasket but obviously I took that with a grain of salt. even if that's what he thought it was odds were it was something more. But it has nice shocks good tires and the exhaust alone is like 700 dollars new so I bought it.

--
    Pulling the engine on these is quite easy the KTM rfs 525 is only held in with 3 motor mounts. upon disassembly I first found there was oil in the anti freeze and vise versa and also it didn't have compression. Bad head gasket like they guy said right? well for those of you who don't know the water pump runs off the cam on these rfs engines and I noticed the cover was all silicone up. hmmmm.... so I pull the valve cover off and the cam sprocket bolts are all smashed up and the decompression lever is missing(it goes in front of the cam sprocket with a shaft pertruding to the exhaust lobe.) I pop the cam chain link and pop off the head and cylinder when whats left of the decomp lever falls out. So for some reason this lever broke off bounced around the sprocket bolts and in doing so the decompressor lost its counter weight so its always on thus the low compression.
    But wait you say what about the oil in the coolant system? Well just happens with my luck that upon this little levers journey it decided it hadn't done enough damage and made a hole into the coolant port on the head effectively building a passage between the cam chain area and the coolant system

Heres a screenshot of the wonderful passageway. (I'm cleaning it for tig welding)

Screenshot (49).jpg

--
    I now have the head tig welded, the rest of the engine inspected, and all the stuff I require to put it all back together. As soon as I can get a path through the snow to my shed that is... I also have a youtube channel with videos of this job if you wish to watch them you will be one of the very few that do....

--
    This is a link to a video where I do some of the combustion chamber modification for the porting on the 525 head
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmCbXmMPIHw

--
    Cool project.The snow up this way sucks sometimes.It comes to fast and you cant ride trikes or quads till it settles or melts some.Im only 15 minutes from you.
    250r rules

--
    I live near high market so I think I'm about 45 minutes from carthage. That's really cool we are that close to each other though we might even know each other in real life lol! Yes the amount of snow can really suck especially right where I am on top of the hill. travel 15 minutes and theres nowhere near what there is in my yard. I'm getting tired of it...

--
    jfhjfh.jpgUntitled.jpg

As you can see in these pics I have a little more to do and need to match them to each other then I may do some work on the exhaust side. When I'm done doing all that I will polish the entire combustion chamber. There is controversy on this subject but those who say polishing the comb chamber isn't worth it only do so because they are lazy. A shiny reflective surface helps reflect heat but the most important benefit of this is to reduce detonation/pre-ignition. pre-ignition which leads to detonation is started by a small sharp piece of carbon or metal because its small so it heats up more than the area around it by becoming extremely hot it pre-ignites the fuel charge before the spark plug fires and then causes detonation. By polishing the combustion chamber you eliminate any irregular surfaces and you remove and prevent carbon build up which significantly lowers the chance of pre-ignition. Some say this is pointless because carbon will eventually build up again. A mirror finish will resist carbon build up for a long time and there are also methods and additives that can prevent carbon build up so this modification is very beneficial and for me if I already have an engine apart its a requirement.

I will lose some compression by adding a few cc's to the volume of my chamber. It will likely be minimal but I cc'ed the chamber before and I will again after. This can be countered by using a high compression piston or milling the head. although milling the head on a 4 stroke is often not feasible for a number of reasons. If you find yourself in a situation where you want to gain you compression back but the only pistons on the market require race gas you can shave the high comp piston and measure until you have the desired cc or if the build is worth it you could have a custom piston made by Wiseco or another reputable company.

You also have to have the knowledge, practice, and experience of unshrouding valves or you will only lose horsepower by not improving the flow. you will especially lose power if you do nothing to make up for the lost compression and unshroud the valves in a way that hurts the flow. For the most part if you keep the original shape and just remove a small amount of material you will gain power but if you have years of practice and experience experimenting with unshrouding valves you can make a significant amount of horsepower by doing this.

There will be videos to follow and I hope someone enjoyed and/or learned something from this. My main goal of these posts and my youtube channel is to try to make it possible for the average guy to be able to do a diy port job and make power rather than paying a fortune. With enough learning and experience you can actually make more power than most professional businesses because places like that have so much work often the attention to detail isn't there and you can make your job just a bit better by putting the extra time into it that they can't do because the added time would lose them money. However I must say that the really good engine builders out there that do all their work by hand and precision machine are about impossible to beat.

--
    Have you raced at any of the Adirondack Atv drags.
    250r rules

--
    no I haven't. I used to race in the bubba junk drags but I don't know if they have those anymore. I just started getting back into engines again ive tinkered with stuff since I was a kid but then 10 years of doing it professionally took a toll. I think my interest is coming back though maybe ill check out those races.

Are those the drags in Harrisville?
    Last edited by lndy650; 12-24-2017 at 12:02 AM. Reason: question

--
    just got the engine back together but with my health issues just couldnt muster the energy to mount it back in the frame. this pic shows the head with the valves un-shrouded and all polished up to fight off carbon deposits and heat.

Untitled.jpg

--
    //////////////////////////////////////////////////////

0121181548a.jpg

--
    Got the engine in today and the intake exhaust and wiring done. I still need to buy oil and antifreeze which ill try getting tomorrow but I just got a few sleds in today so it might be Thursday or the weekend before I finish this up.

hhhhhh.jpg

--
    Didn't have much time for this today but i took a break around lunch time and started polishing the shift lever. Got all the wiring hooked up. whoever before me made a mess out of the wiring there was electrical tape all over the place and all the connectors were buried under this rats nest of tape so when i pulled the engine the longest part was the wiring... Im not done with the shifter yet but here are some pictures.....

shine.jpg0123181645.jpg0123181645c.jpg

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //