//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Suzuki RM 500

--

Suzuki RM 500

I've decided to restore my RM 500. this will probably take years as parts are super rare and super expensive and the bike isnt much more than a frame. There is an engine but my brother is in possession of it although its mine and the way we get along means its gonna be an issue getting it back but I have to because the only thing ive found in the way of engines is a complete top end for 600$ and a famous racer's engine that bid up to 8600 and reserve wasn't met. I'm guessing an average condition engine would be 1500 to 2 grand maybe more. I first owned this bike when I was 12-13 years old its a 4 speed and insanely fast. Ive owned other 500s including cr 500s and I imagine the cr has more horsepower but I remember the rm being a lot faster. Probably the 4 speed tranny theres really no need for 5 gears when you have that much power. So ya this will be a slow moving thread but I hope to complete it someday.

--
    There’s a complete motor in Victorville ca for 500$ on CL from a 1984 model. Says it ran when removed. Maybe you can pick it up on your way to imperial invasion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

--
    wow thats cheap thanks buddy

--
    i cant find it what section of ca craigslist? theres no victorville in the list

--
    n/m i found it with google

--
    its insane how small they made the wrist pin on these engines. no lie i had an 80cc engine i think a ds 80 and the wrist pin was the same size as the 500. thats one thing you need to replace often on all the 500's im surprised they made it so small

--
    Any pics of how it sits now? Or was? What year?

Some of those old 500's are crazy. A friend at the cottage had a Can-Am 400 (Qualifer?) Can't remember what year. Long time ago. Crazy fast. Burn through a rear tire in no time.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

--
    when the snow melts ill have pics. theres the frame a complete front end and swingarm with complete linkage which is nice because the suspension parts for these are crazy expensive and thats if you find them. pretty sure it has the original handlebars too.im not sure the year but its the 500cc not 400 or 465

--
    Do you have the tank, seat and plastics for it??
    "You should never smoke in pajamas..
    You might start a fire and burn your face..
    Maybe you should return to Manaugua..
    You could go un-noticed in such a place"

FZ

Ass,gas or grass....nobody rides for free!

Ride free,Brotha. See you in Heaven.

--
    I had a RM 465x FullFloater back in the late 90's I rode quite a bit. Restored it from a basement kept extremely low hour machine. DG piped it serviced the suspension, clutch, topend wheel and suspension bearings. It was a light go over IMO and enjoyed the bike. Run non-E fuel it makes a difference as you probably know. I got really good at dialing the carb in as humidity seem to make adjustment necessary. Just a move of the clip up or down instant crisper. The bike was great on power but the brakes and suspension take you back to the 1980's. Thanks to the couch like seat it was like a mushy soft plush feel. It will teach you to learn to roll cornerns more. Today's lock it and drag to the hare pit does not aply. Have fun with it, Beast motor for its day.

--
    There was a video on Youtube of a 500 rm trike conversion.
    250r rules

--
    I've never done business with this guy but check out east coast vintage mx. I hope to see this build! I really like the camel supercross era. Thanks for sharing

--
    that rm500 trike on youtube is awesome! it shows how crazy these engines are. thanks for the info schlepp. Maico i did have the tank somewhere but when we sold our dairy farm a lot of my stuff got left behind because the owners said id have time to get my stuff and once the deal went through they changed their minds and said if i was caught trespassing they would call the cops. so now i dont have any plastics for it. i see on ebay theres a complete replica set for 200 i would prefer original but they look pretty good and cant beat the price. ill probably use a tank from a rm 250 they are much easier to find and im pretty sure identical.
    the tank i had for it was mint and had one of those old suzuki leather covers. probly why it was mint that cover was always on it. those people that bought our farm probably made a small fortune on the stuff i was forced to leave behind. all kinds of old bikes and parts. i loved the big single 2 stokers when i was younger i had an old dt360 chassis complete except a few parts and needed a topend. hell, theres stuff im sure i wouldnt even remember. sometimes i find an old picture and im like what the hell i dont remember that bike! just the other day i found a pic of me next to a mint cond. blue dt 125 and i honestly dont even remember it lol if i had all the stuff i traded over the years id need a couple acres to store it. honestly though most of it was junk.

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	249093about the condition im hoping for when im done i still remember the first time i rode the bike. i remember being 11 or so and seeing it for sale about 10 miles from where i live. the rear shock was out and it still looked too big for me but i wanted it something fierce. as luck would have it i tracked who bought it and about 2 years later my brother bought it. i was 13 or 14 i think. i remember getting on the road and hitting the throttle a little and i was like ahh this thing aint that great.... the next whack of the throttle i found myself looking at the sky and fumbling for the back brake pedal. luckily i hit the brake and came back down but i had a whole new respect id never felt for a dirtbike before! Sadly the crank bearings started growling when i was about 15 (i had traded my brother something for it and it was now mine) even at 15 i knew better than to run it like it was so i pulled the engine and its funny but the front mount i noticed was identical to a honda 200. so i took my 200s engine and im pretty sure the front and the rear mount bolted right up and i made a top mount and i dont think i bothered with the mount underneath but i may have. i rode that think all over with the 200s motor for a dew years then used the engine in a quadsport 230 chassis. it was then it was stored away mostly in pieces for years to come and when the farm got sold much of it wasnt recovered. i was upset about the farm and left for the army. i still get tempted all these years later to sneak over at night and see if the parts are still there but i know the ppl and they would love to have me arrested. the parts are long gone anyway im sure.

ok im done i just felt like telling the full story lol.

--
    After writing all that i just now remember where the seat with the rear fender attached to it sat in the rafters of one of the side buildings off the garage. man i have so many sad feelings over the farm being sold. especially since it was going to be passed down to me and my brother. i wonder if that seat and fender is still in the same rafters after all these years.....the cover was original too and the fender nice. ugh gotta forget it or it will eat me alive!
    am i crazy or do any of you guys regret the hell outa losing/selling parts you wish you had now?

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //