//ArrowChat Code

Thread: ATC250ES Big Red starter button not working?

booblinker is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

ATC250ES Big Red starter button not working?

I disassembled the bar switch, cleaned the contacts and spring of very minor corrosion and it works now . I know I'm probably not the first to post this, but figure I'd post it in case others have the same issue.
    -84 Honda ATC 200s("Rustored")
    -85 Honda 250SX
    -85 Honda 250ES
    -2017 CRf1000L (all ADVed out?

--
    Thanks for taking the time to repair something and not just replace it. ps2fixer on here is quite skilled at rebuilding/fixing electrical components if anyone is wondering.
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

booblinker is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I take pride in fixing instead of replacing. Partly do to being a cheap ass, partially because i find it very satisfying. I've spent hours fixing something i could have bought new for like $20.
    -85 Honda 250SX
    -85 Honda 250ES

--
    theres actually another thread on here currently of the same issue. one of my tips was to clean and inspect the starter button. Ive seen many times where someone will bring in an atv and they have tried about everything and its a dirty start button/switch. in the late 2000's I noticed a huge amount of rocker kill switches being replaced on the skidoo rev chassis snowmobiles. I took one apart and the contact area was all corroded. I cleaned it up nice and put some dielectric grease o9n it and it worked great. people were estatic when I could clean their switches for minimum labor ($20)instead of all the dealers that were selling them new switch assemblies for like 80 bucks.

AMK is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by lndy650 View Post
    theres actually another thread on here currently of the same issue. one of my tips was to clean and inspect the starter button. Ive seen many times where someone will bring in an atv and they have tried about everything and its a dirty start button/switch. in the late 2000's I noticed a huge amount of rocker kill switches being replaced on the skidoo rev chassis snowmobiles. I took one apart and the contact area was all corroded. I cleaned it up nice and put some dielectric grease o9n it and it worked great. people were estatic when I could clean their switches for minimum labor ($20)instead of all the dealers that were selling them new switch assemblies for like 80 bucks.

I've bought many things for cheap because it was not running or annoying only to find out it was a switch or spark plug or some other silly regular maintenance item overlooked.
    Alan

1985 350x
    1984 200es Big Red
    1985 200s (little red)
    1986 200x saga
    2) 1985 350x projects
    And a slew of others to hold my attention

--
    Quote Originally Posted by AMK View Post
    I've bought many things for cheap because it was not running or annoying only to find out it was a switch or spark plug or some other silly regular maintenance item overlooked.
    Same here. Bought a 250SX for $300 not running. Took out the fuel filter and it ran flawless. Rebuilt the starter for $15, starter still didn't work, found a wire thay wasn't connected. Added new tires, and ended up for an SX for under $500.
    -85 Honda 250SX
    -85 Honda 250ES

--
    Quote Originally Posted by booblinker View Post
    I take pride in fixing instead of replacing. Partly do to being a cheap ass, partially because i find it very satisfying. I've spent hours fixing something i could have bought new for like $20.
    I second that. Any body can just replace it not every body and fix it!
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    its so awesome when you buy something and its a cheap fix. I made a hue trade once and part of it was 2 gen2 tecate 3's and enough parts to build 2 gen 1 tecates. one of the gen 2's ended up being an 87. the guy said he replaced the clutch but it still slipped and he didnt know what was wrong with it he seemed really irritated like he struggled a long time with it. my first thought was he didnt soak the plates and used an oil not meant for wet clutches. nope! he had the clutch lever adjusted so tight it was holding the clutch like half disengaged!!!!! like how the hell dont you figure that one out!!?? That t3 had all kinds of JP Racing stuff and a 300 big bore with a hand built pipe. i sold it for 3900$ but i wish i would have kept it.

--
    Hey,,,, I was going to do that same thing and for the same reason. I took the control mount off the bars and pulled the control switch through but could not see how I could "disassemble" without cutting it apart and destroying it. For quite awhile I have figured that the detents/contacts were worn because the key has to be in just the right position to get enough voltage to the starter to turn quickly enough to start; even though the dash light is on. Any chance you can detail how you took the control switch apart? Thanks, Walt~
    Quote Originally Posted by booblinker View Post
    I disassembled the bar switch, cleaned the contacts and spring of very minor corrosion and it works now . I know I'm probably not the first to post this, but figure I'd post it in case others have the same issue.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //