//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Tips on negotiating

--

Tips on negotiating

I'm sure a lot of you have been around the block a time or two. What tips and/traits have you found that work to your advantage, either buying or selling? Would be nice to hear some do's and do not's. (Like not bringing the wife is a given).
    I for one, could use some tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    My first advice to a non-veteran buyer is to take a friend that knows at least as much as you do about what it is you’re buying, but has no emotional ties to the item. He’s the guy you want to see what you don’t when emotions take over from good sense. Buy with your head and not with your heart.

Decide what you’ll pay before you drive over and put that amount in one pocket. In the other pocket put a few extra bucks just in case you stumble onto a gem. Better yet, let you buddy hang onto it.

Before to make your first offer take a good look over the vehicle. If you’re new at this, make a list of what you want to check so you don’t skip anything. Tires, chain, coolant in the oil, does it shift, brakes etc. Look everything over before you toss out your offer. If I like what is see I’ll say something like “It’s a really nice bike, and it would be worth every penny of what you’re asking for it if everything was in good condition, but I’m going to have to put some money into this before I can drive it without worrying about anything”. Then I’ll start ratting off everything that’s not perfect, tires, brake pads, fluids, carb clean, chain, and whatever else needs doing and I usually imply that I’m going to need to pay someone to do it. Just don’t invent things to fix or the seller won’t respect you.

I never insult the seller no mater what. Some of the best deals I’ve ever made didn’t close until a few days after the initial meet. If it’s something I want that’s out of my price range and the guy won’t budge I like to say something like “ I sure would like it, but I just can’t afford it right now. I had no idea it was going to be in such good condition, or I’d have brought more cash. Do you mind if I call you back in a few days to see if you’ve still got it?” Sometimes after saying that and shaking a guys hand you’ll turn towards your truck and hear a “Hang on” and the next thing you know you’re loading a bike.

I buy stuff for a living, you meet all kinds and the guys who sell for a living can be a lot tougher to deal with than private sellers, but polite sincere, informed, respectful discussion usually works best.

Having done both I find selling to be harder than buying.
    Last edited by El Camexican; 01-17-2018 at 01:30 AM.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Good points!

I once looked at a parts car (with a title FYI) a guy was selling and did not pick it up because there was not enough meet on the bone.
    Left on good terms.
    He called me a couple of days later and said I could have it if I could pick it up that day - he was moving and needed it gone.

I always ask high when selling something.
    Easier to start high and come down and everybody's happy.
    Sometimes I get the price.

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Buy the item, not the story.

It doesn't matter what the seller says about who used to own it, where they found it, what modifications have (allegedly) been done to the motor, etc. It's all just a story unless they have paperwork, receipts, etc.

The above is in addition to El's post
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    Great ideas guys!

Nico, you have so many great posts. Thank you for taking the time here. I really appreciate that! It's awesome advice.

--
    Take a compression tester. Sometimes it aggravates sellers but that's usually where I find that while the bike runs at his house, it's about an hour away from needing new rings or worse. I've purchased pristine looking machines or motors only to open them up and see carnage

"Ran when parked" means nothing

"Just needs carb cleaned and it will run"
    means nothing

"Fresh topend" yeah whatever

It's either running or it's not.

I'm just repeating everyone else at this point. I will reiterate that you want to be courteous and respectful. It works on me sometimes and I've been known to let something go for much less than asking price because I liked a kids enthusiasm and attitude.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by glamy View Post
    What a lovely young man Nico is .........he`s so well balanced .........i think he might be a shape shifting Alien
    Lovely?? Well den, I love you all and your tips. Gay, huh? You got tips glamy, I'm sure of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    I don't pick people's machines apart. I might point out one or 2 things that are messed up but don't stand there and comment on every little scratch or dent. The only other thing I can say is don't leave without giving an offer. Like Nico Suave said, be nice about it, and you'll be suprised at what people will accept
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

--
    I agree not to pick it apart. I think I've got the respect part understood and that precisely where the negotiations stop for me. Oh, yes the story and emotional part are another struggle. Great advice!!

--
    I totally pick every machine apart. Granted I might not say it to the seller, but I am going over in my mind everything that will need replaced or rebuilt.

Mostly start by asking a bunch of questions that I know the answer to already. That gives me an idea of how much he knows about the machine he is selling.

Remember: Assume every trike you buy is going to need cables, brakes, and bearings. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but you will replace them. Factor that in.

Of course rear carrier bearings can be a pain in the butt. I check for slop there first. Sometimes it may be tough to tell what is bearings vs. hub splines vs tire flex. Always assume the worst.

The single most important thing I look for in a perspective trike is original tires. If it has original tires, it is probably a survivor. Next check wear on foot pegs, that will tell you a story of how many hours it probably has.

In one pocket I carry the amount I expect to initially offer. In a second pocket is additional bills, mostly up to his asking price. In a third pocket is some form of protection. Remember, he surely knows you are carrying cash.

A big red flag is "I have the parts to fix it, I just haven't had time to install them." NOPE! That means he probably didn't have "time" (skill?, energy?) to maintain it properly while he owned it.

If at any point the seller uses the words "ran when parked" or "carb needs cleaned," you should at that point roll your eyes while simultaneously heaving your most vocal exasperated sigh as you quickly walk back to your truck.

atc12 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    My buddy bought a mint 350x that ''ran when parked'' and ''needs carb cleaned'' for $1,000 then cleaned the carb and sold on ebay for $5,800. I would never let those words scare me away. Not everybody understands a clogged pilot jet.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //