//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Turbo’d Honda 200

--

Turbo’d Honda 200

I bought a turbo and before i buy my accessories i need to decide what to put it on. choices are
    1) Polaris Outlaw 525 (already in the shop tore apart so would be easiest and also has a battery and charging system that should handle running oil to the turbo)
    2) 200x (would need a battery and external oil pump)
    3) honda 200s or 200 hardtail (possibly use x engine because auto clutch probably wouldnt handle the power)
    4) Sportsman 500 H.O. carb model (good candidate)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l500 (1).jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	249504
    Last edited by yaegerb; 01-23-2018 at 10:54 AM.

--
    This turbo would be for the outlaw or sportsman
    EXD:34.95
    IND:41.35

• Oil cooled
    • Compressor Specs
    • 0.35 A/R
    • 1.75" Air Inlet
    • 1.5" Air Outlet
    • Wet Floating Bearings
    • Compressor Wheel
    • EXD: 49.00mm
    • IND: 36.40mm

--
    if i decide to do a 200 engine i also have this turbo i bought a while back off ebay

Name:	s-l500 (2).jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	249505

--
    Ill also be using a wideband o2 sensor to help with fuel ratio and obviously have a boost gauge. the bigger turbo is set for 13 psi so i need to get some different springs because thats definitely to high to start out with. ive done many nitrous set ups and ive done turbos on sleds but ive never done a turbo on a 3/4 wheeler. should be fun.

--
    going further with the setup for 200x. im having trouble getting enough fuel at boost so im going to try using a pitot tube to pressurize the carb bowl. ill hook up a sort of reulator that i can adjust for more or less pressureClick image for larger version. 

Name:	pitot4.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	249558

--
    A couple of my buddy's turboed there pulling 350x's with a draw thru carb system to worked ok. One used a S1 turbo with a I think 40mm carb. We end up making a plenum in the intake cause the turbo pushed more air than the single cylinder would use and it was causing reverse air pulses back thru the carb. But it worked ok and they would make around 15psi free reving and around 10 under load around 7k when going down the track
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    very cool. ya im trying the blow through method. im only looking for 5-7 psi i dont think the 200 can handle much more than that. i have the lowest comp piston made and the crank pin is welded. after a while i will probably become tempted to try higher boost for short periods.
    a 350x with a turbo must have been a blast! do you remember the model turbo used? i calculated the 200 engine only pushes maybe 800 liters of air per minute so im hoping i dont have too much lag.
    Last edited by lndy650; 01-21-2018 at 01:24 AM.

--
    Been reading up on the draw through method where the carb is mounted before the turbo. using that with a methanol injection helps keeping the charge cool not having an intercooler and seems like a good idea for this setup. also i wouldnt have the issues im having currently with the carb being pressurized and spitting fuel.

another option could be building an intake with efi ive done it on a carbed sled before but its not easy. id need a cam sensor and a good 12 volt power setup.

cool draw through setup on a vw

Name:	drawthroughsidedraft.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	249559
    Last edited by lndy650; 01-21-2018 at 02:06 AM.

--
    The turbo is a Schwitzer S1 one 350x was stock and the other is 502cc's. These are pulling bikes so they were not worried about lag just getting it spooled and keeping it spooled. There was a thread on here with pics of a couple of the bikes we pull. I will try to get some more pics of the set ups we ran. On these bikes we ran a complete closed loop oil system with the draw thru turbo set up cause the turbos we used were not sealed on the compressor side to keep the gas from gettting into the oil and we didn't want to delute the engine oil with gas.
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    The bike need to be EFI cause you could control and monitor the mixture more with EFI. My buddy did put a wide band O2 on it to help/ check the tuning and it got to the point the he was drilling out jets cause they didn't make any big enough for that carb to keep it rich enough under boost.

--
    thanks for the info i have a wideband setup coming in the mail. i put a nozzle in the vent on the back of the carb just on the inside of the venturi there and this helped with the gas splashing back and cleared up the idle.

--
    i decided to install a xr200 piston which is something like 9.8:1 its just over the 200x piston but now i think its detonating at high rpm i just ordered a cheap detonation sensor that ill hook up to a light hoping it can fit somewhere on the head

Name:	s-l500.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	249600

--
    Ok so as of now im doing a blow through turbo setup. now, your carb flows fuel because the bowl is vented to the atmo which is about 14.5 psi and when your intake stroke begins the pressure in your intake venturi lowers to lets say 10 psi thus fuel flows up through the main nozzle and into the venturi to your engine. when you add a turbo with lets say 20psi the psi in your venturi is now going to be around 15 so fuel isnt going to flow through the main jet and up the nozzle. I got around this by adding the pitot tube into the intake just after where the turbo mounts which charges the fuel bowl with the 20 psi from the turbo (it will probly be a bit lower) therefor overcoming the 15 in the venturi and fuel now flows again. all is solved right??? nope. now that my fuel bowl has 20 psi its fighting the gravity feed of the fuel coming from the tank. Most people get past this by adding an inline fuel pump.

my question to the forum is this. Im going to have a battery on the bike so i could use an electric fuel pump but i was thinking of maybe sealing and pressurizing the fuel tank. what do you guys think any ideas?

--
    I like big spechts idea of efi.....that's why I recommended ecotrons.com as a potential source for small engine turbos..intercoolers... efi...sensors..etc. At 10 to 1 you need to be floating around 3 psi. I had a turbo kit from Mr. Turbo and they recommended 3-4 psi for my stock cb550 application at most. Trying to spool up a 200 single for proper operation might be your biggest hurdle. A properly mapped efi may be a necessity for this to work well.

--
    yes your right efi would be much easier. ive done turbo kits on efi 4 stroke snowmobiles and they were relatively simple. we did three 2 stroke efi sleds and they were finicky as hell but a hell of a ride once you got them tuned in.

the turbo im using is quite small so i dont think ill run into any lag issues. the little ive run it it seems ok. im convinced that this can be done successfully with a carb but i might end up switching to a draw through setup. the biggest reason i like draw through is the fuel issues are minimal and the fuel helps cool the turbo resulting in a cooler charge.

Thanks for the info Knappy

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //