//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tri z 490 a Monster is born

--

Tri z 490 a Monster is born

My 86 Tri-z has been with me for 30+ years now and its time to preserve her, but I still need a rider...so I am building a Tri-z490. This past weekend I picked up the completly rebuilt engine and the powder coated parts/frame. I went with a gloss black and Chrome Look with a mirror finish. Definetly not polished chrome but does have a mirror finish an I have to say I am extremly happy. Check out the pics. I will post more pics soon as she is being put together. Can't wait to ride her

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Before.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	232.4 KB 
ID:	250057 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	planning.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	250058 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32279(1).jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	219.2 KB 
ID:	250059 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6983.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	449.2 KB 
ID:	250060 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chrome.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	250061 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chromelook.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	430.5 KB 
ID:	250062

--
    That looks like fun! Check out Raffas 490z:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...inues-Round-3!

--
    Yes, his bike has been my inspiration...can't wait to ride it.

--
    Love it! Have you made any mods to the engine?
    It sucks to get old

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --

Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Hopefully in the quench/squish/dome department or something along those lines?
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Hopefully in the quench/squish/dome department or something along those lines?
    That’s what I was wondering. A friend of a friend participates in some sort of vintage events and has a stable of 490’s. Claims that he has them all figured out and that if I were to ever pick one up he’d share the mods needed to tame the mechanical demons said to plague these beasts.

Unlikely I’ll ever own one, but I’m always curious to hear what people have done to their engines, especially ones with reputations like this one has.
    It sucks to get old

--
    What pipe are you going to use ?
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    kept her stock for now. Plan on doing some head mods next top end, they say it helps to reduce detonation. The pipe, carb and reeds are aftermarket. The motor mounts I had custom made and the sprocket needed a 26/100's offset so had that made too. I heard from Raffa he runs stock sprockets so I can save some money in the future. The sprocket I had made is a work of art. I will try and get that up next pic. The motor really is a drop in like Yamaha planned on making a 490z.

--
    I've always wanted to ride a big bore Yamaha 2 wheeler in IT form. They're pretty rare around here.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    I've always wanted to ride a big bore Yamaha 2 wheeler in IT form. They're pretty rare around here.
    I had an 81 IT175. It handled like a Buick station wagon with four flat tires. You're not missing much.

Detonation, an already unreliable machine with an added extra-unreliable engine... At least it might look good!
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    I had an 81 IT175. It handled like a Buick station wagon with four flat tires. You're not missing much.

Detonation, an already unreliable machine with an added extra-unreliable engine... At least it might look good!
    Being that it's a Yamaha, I wasn't expecting much!

--

Quote Originally Posted by glamy View Post
    Yeah the destruction of Raffa`s 490 was impressive............right down to the bent rod ........he never brought that one back !.........i think the next one was a 350 Tri-Z
    Remember, that 490 had all the dome issues supposedly fixed by an expert as well.

I don't mean to be a naysayer or seem negative, I think this is a great project for someone other than myself. I've always had a thing with Tri-Z's being unreliable and everyone knows the history of the 490 engines. I wouldn't rest my foot on the kick starter of one unless it had been seriously worked over inside, but that's just me.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    We should be twins, maybe you can copy my Avatar too. Lol, my experance with the vintage Bigbore or any extreme overbores is keep the compression down, run pump non-E 86-92*. The Aircooled motors I found to be finicky to jetting hot/cool days. No more than a needle height adjustment, always believed it do to head temps to climate to cool fins. It's gonna rip, good luck. Welcome to the Glammy's Mentally deficient inflicted Yamaha group. Funny he's pointing out the tard's in the World and a fan of "been there done that" Duncan International....to end Duncan's quote, "and left it behind."

--

Just so you know I do appreciate what you're doing. I give all the Yamaha guys a hard time, right Nico?
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    I would definitely run some numbers on that head before I cranked it up.

Static Comp (keep it around 175), UCCR (keep it around 12:1) and I would blend the dome angle from 90 to 30 degrees. Use the 40MM carb to feed the beast.

Those motors are known for detonation/destruction. As glamy said....just look at raffa's 490.
    Last edited by yaegerb; 06-18-2018 at 11:14 PM.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //