//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 110 hard cold starts-turned out to be low compression

--

110 hard cold starts-turned out to be low compression

My 110 is hard to start when cold(20deg F), and I suspect the cold is affecting one of the electrical components. The plug is soaked with gas, and the jets are actually a little smaller than the factory sizes of 85 main and 35 slow. It has a 78 main and 32 slow right now, and the PO put one of those chinese carbs on it. I've moved the needle clip up one notch and is currently in the 2nd position from the top. It was in the 3rd position. That helped greatly with throttle response and now the plug is somewhat of a normal color(was sooty black before), but am still having trouble with starting when cold. It gets flooded easily. Any ideas on what this could be? Does it sound like a weak component causing a weak spark when extremely cold? FWIW, it will start when cold on the first couple pulls, but if it dies for any reason, restarting it is pretty much impossible. It starts just fine when the ambient temperature is warmer...in the 50s or so. Runs and idles nicely too.

Also, side question. '85 110s are all upshift, right? Mine shifts down so I think someone put an 84 motor into this 85 frame at some point.
    Last edited by longbedGTs; 02-24-2018 at 09:45 PM.
    84 Honda 200ES Big Red

--
    I would buy a good used factory carburetor and install a shindy carburetor kit in it instead of fussing with that china crap carburetor .
    Other things to check with your symptoms are compression , valve adjustment , make sure your getting a big fat spark at the plug , air gap at the pulse generator , spark plugs foul out on the 110’s easily so a new plug can’t hurt , make sure the plug cap has a good connection at the coil wire , remove 1/4” and reattach .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    I agree with shortline on the stock 110 carb.. The only up shift 90/110 i am aware of are that some of the us90 were upshift but anything after 74 was all downshift.. Check your motors serial # for the year.

--
    Thanks for the suggestions. The new wave of China carbs didn't exist when I was last in the 3wheeler game 10 years ago, but I've read about the hassles they can give. This one seems to have factory jets though as they both have numbers on them. I've read that the China jets do not? The only thing of that list shortline gave is that I did adjust the valves. They were just a hair too tight, about .002 or so. They're in spec now. I'll take a look at the air gap on the pulse generator as well as install a new spark plug. Need to get a compression tester too.
    84 Honda 200ES Big Red

--
    I believe the Chinese carbs must have different passageways also not just different jets it makes for dialing in so much harder.. are you running a stock air box? I have a whole bin full of those new junk carbs that just never performed well at all. Once we went to a stock one all of our problems were solved.

--
    My '83 is a real turd to start the first time! after the first firing day after day it starts first pull!!! What I have found and I need to change the gasket !!! The gasket at the base of the intake manifold
    is not sealing to the head!! It has a dirt ring around the manifold!! May be something to check out !!!!! Short Line is right for what to do!!!

Ol Deuce
    DO the Best With What you got !

My Feed back :cool

--
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM shop View Post
    I believe the Chinese carbs must have different passageways also not just different jets it makes for dialing in so much harder.. are you running a stock air box? I have a whole bin full of those new junk carbs that just never performed well at all. Once we went to a stock one all of our problems were solved.
    Yes, stock air box and metal element inside it but no air filter for now until I get this rich/no start condition solved. My thinking is that the mixture will lean out by running no air filter. It has helped, so this leads me to suspect weak spark or that it's getting too much fuel.
    84 Honda 200ES Big Red

--
    Quote Originally Posted by longbedGTs View Post
    Yes, stock air box and metal element inside it but no air filter for now until I get this rich/no start condition solved. My thinking is that the mixture will lean out by running no air filter. It has helped, so this leads me to suspect weak spark or that it's getting too much fuel.
    Longbed,
    You are way over thinking your problem here..
    1. you have the wrong carb on it
    2. wrong size jets
    3. no air filter

check spark at the plug as sortline said, go back to a stock carb with stock size jets, get yourself an air filter. If you still have a starting issue after all that let us know.

--
    Time for an update. Compression came in at 100psi, so I took the top end off. The bore looks good, but there was quite a bit of carbon buildup on the piston and the combustion camber. Also, poured some gas in the CC with the head sitting upside down. Gas leaked out of the intake side at a decent rate. None at all from the exhaust side. Not sure why the intake side only would be leaking. Would you suggest I replace the rings anyway while I'm at it? Zero smoke before, fwiw. What else should I replace while I've got the motor apart this far?
    84 Honda 200ES Big Red

--
    Time for an update. Compression came in at 100psi, so I took the top end off. The bore looks good, but there was quite a bit of carbon buildup on the piston and the combustion camber. Also, poured some gas in the CC with the head sitting upside down. Gas leaked out of the intake side at a decent rate. None at all from the exhaust side. Not sure why the intake side only would be leaking. Would you suggest I replace the rings anyway while I'm at it? Zero smoke before, fwiw. What else should I replace while I've got the motor apart this far?
    Replace those rings no matter what. As they wear, they get thinner and don't seal as well, gap widens, etc. Your compression loss is just as likely to be from the leaky intake valve as it would be from worn rings but just to be sure, I would hone the bore and replace the rings first when I have only 100psi.

Hard to tell what else it needs until you pull the valve that leaks to see why it leaks. It may be bent or just have a tiny amount of carbon buildup on the seating areas to make it leak in which case you just need to clean off the carbon and get some lapping compound and lap the valve in again. I would replace that valve seal too since I put extra stress on it pulling the valve stem through it. That would be the cheap scenario. A bent valve would be the worst case. Springs and tops are likely good still.

Timing chain is something else I like to change when I tear down an unknown topend. They are cheap insurance too. Nothing like skipping time and bending that valve you just lapped in.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Ok, I'll throw some rings in there and run a hone through it. The intake valve looks to have been hit by an oversize spark plug. There's also no valve stem seal. I'll also get a new timing chain. What about the little rubbery wheel that the timing chain rides on...should that be replaced too? The camshaft looked great as well as all the lobes and journals. This is the first time I've done a top end on one of these, so it's a learning process. Thanks for the help!
    84 Honda 200ES Big Red

--
    .... What about the little rubbery wheel that the timing chain rides on...should that be replaced too?
    Yeah I would replace that too if it looks worn. They are discontinued though I think so you might have trouble locating one but I can't be certain of that either

Part number is 14610-105-691

Last edited by ironchop; 02-17-2018 at 06:35 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    Yeah I would replace that too if it looks worn. They are discontinued though I think so you might have trouble locating one but I can't be certain of that either

Part number is 14610-105-691

Awesome! Just picked up a NOS one for $15 on ebay. The old one has little grooves in it making it almost resemble a sprocket and I wasn't sure if it was suppose to look like that or not. Tomorrow, I'll remove that side cover along with the recoil and whatnot to get it ready for the new timing chain. Hopefully none of those thin bolts will break.
    84 Honda 200ES Big Red

--
    More updates: Got most of the parts to start putting this thing back together, and got curious about the rings and how bad they were compared to the new ones, so I measured the end gaps on the two compression rings.
    Old top ring: .034
    Old middle ring(thick): .047

New top ring: .013
    New middle ring(thick): .014

What's the spec suppose to be anyway? These are genuine Honda rings, so I assume they're correct but not sure. Standard size piston and bore.
    84 Honda 200ES Big Red

--
    More updates: Got most of the parts to start putting this thing back together, and got curious about the rings and how bad they were compared to the new ones, so I measured the end gaps on the two compression rings.
    Old top ring: .034
    Old middle ring(thick): .047

New top ring: .013
    New middle ring(thick): .014

What's the spec suppose to be anyway? These are genuine Honda rings, so I assume they're correct but not sure. Standard size piston and bore.
    .006 -.014 in inches new

.02 inches is the service limit. Replace them at .02 or bigger gap

Link to a free manual to download....

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //