//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 250r case repair

myles is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

250r case repair

I have a set of 1985 250r cases, each side case on the inside between the crank, and the counterbalancer has a notch knocked out of it about 1 inch by 3 inches. I have a guy that says he can repair them by building up the hole with a tig welder I believe, and then grinding it into shape. I told him that I have an old case that he could cut the pieces out and weld into the notches, but he said his way was better. I'm just worried about him ruining the cases. Does anyone have any experience doing this, or having this kind of repair done for them? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	363.9 KB 
ID:	250241

--
    That is a perfect example of why you should change your counter balancer bearings when you change crank bearings...cheap insurance. No, pooling the weld will not be the correct fix. It is better to cut those areas square and graft in new aluminum, seam weld and grind back out. I have a really good fabricator that could do that.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    I had BDT fix mine.They did a great job.
    Last edited by atc300r; 02-14-2018 at 02:43 PM.
    250r rules

--
    Yes I agree 100 percent on the bearings, bought the cases like this. I'm no welder, but I think grafting a piece like you say, would be the proper way to go. Thanks

--
    Thanks atc300r, but I think the shipping cross border and back, plus the repair would be really expensive.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Hopefully you can find a good welder locally, then you'll have to have them machined.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    FYI: Guys that weld boat propellers are second only to certified aircraft welders and a lot easier to find locally. They are also usually better at dealing with the impurities found in used aluminum.

Good luck!
    It sucks to get old

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    I have welded plenty of them and if a guy knows what he is doing, that isn't a tough repair to do. You can do it without an actual machine process. File off the tall part and then sand paper and a flat surface to lap it in.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //