//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ATC hard start when warm

--
    So i adjusted the valves, changed out to another gas cap and it started right up as usual. I let it idle for about five minutes because I was closing the garage tp try it out and then my son asked me to adjust his bike seat. I started to do that and told him to go and turn it off since I would be longer than I thought. All the while it idled fine. Once he turned it off and I did what I had to do, I tried to restart it and it wont start again. Here is a pic of the spark plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    OK, sounds good. What year is your 70? I'm going to assume it doesn't have points in the ignition but a condenser could possibly cause this if you do have points. If not, my next guess would be stator or CDI, assuming it has a CDI box. Both can be tested with a meter, but I don't know how to do it. I've seen ignition coils fail, but not that often. It's not impossible though.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Its an 83.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Alright I don't know if that has points or not. If it does have points, I'd suspect the condenser. If you're going to replace the condenser, you might as well change the points or update to a solid state ignition. That would be your choice and we don't know that that's your problem yet.

If it were mine I'd run it until it's warm enough to where you know it's not going to restart. Then I'd pull the spark plug and see if you have spark or not when the engine is warm.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Okay. Ill try that tomorrow and let you know.

--
    fabiodriven advise is good. When it wont start,take plug out, ground it, crank it over. this will tell you if its electrical or not.

--
    I have a Yamaha 200 1985 and had the same problem... After cleaning messing with the carb/plug/gas. I finally got to the point where I could start it when warm but it still hates to idle after about 5 min of running. Runs great as long as I give it gas but releasing the throttle a little bit and it dies. My plug looks the same as your black.

Did you try completely replacing the plug?

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //