//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1984 ytm 225DX Starter Help

--

1984 ytm 225DX Starter Help

I purchased a 1984 ytm 225DX last summer and have slowly been working on it. I have never tried to start the ytm with the starter until today. I jumped it with my side by side and the starter seemed to work. I could hear the starter motor and feel spinning (or trying to spin) but the three wheeler motor wasn’t turning over. I pulled the starter and the starter idle Gear in the case seems to spin freely. I am not sure if this Gear should spin freely or not. Any idea what is broken ?

Also, is there anyway to test a starter when it is pulled from the motor case? When I hit the starter it would not turn over when out of the case but when it is in the case it will, or at least try too. I am guessing it has to do with being grounded but I am not sure.

Thanks for all the help.

--
    You're right. You need a ground to your starter in order for it to turn over when it's not installed on the engine. I believe your idle gear should turn in one direction but not the other. Your starter clutch probably needs to be replaced. It has a one way bearing that goes bad. You can check on Ebay to find one.

--
    Thank you for the help. I am not 100% sure but I think the idle Gear turns both directions. I will dig into that later this week. I see the manual says you need a three way universal puller to get to the starter clutch. Anyone know of a way to safely remove the starter clutch without the puller? If not is there a good puller I can get that will work that is not overly expensive ? Thanks again.

--
    I don't think that you can remove it without the puller. I borrowed one from AutoZone when I did mine. I did have to buy some longer bolts with the right thread pitch before I could do it. Other than that, it wasn't too hard. i did have to turn on the center bolt of the puller pretty hard to get it broken loose. It seemed to be pressed on pretty tight.

--
    The starter idle Gear behind the alternator rotor, is it supposed to turn when you turn the alternator rotor? If not is there anyway to tell what is bad prior to having to pull it ? Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DB31C4C8-1C78-4EE5-916C-21A208568E2F.jpeg 
Views:	6 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	250593Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E5CDFBEA-800B-4149-9C84-8954CEBDF7AA.jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	250594
    Last edited by Mach-10; 02-23-2018 at 09:00 PM.

--
    Can anyone explain to me how to jump your starter when you have it pulled from the engine? It is still hooked up to the three wheeler, it is just pulled from the case. Thank you.

--
    I think the easiest way would be to use a pair of jumper cables. Hook black to black, red to red on the battery (you probably know this, but I said it anyway). Then hook the other black clamp to the starter body. Next, while holding onto the starter tightly, touch the free red clamp to the spot that the positive battery cable hooks to. It should turn the starter motor over. If it just sparks, then the starter is probably locked up. If it does nothing, check for good contact on both ends of the jumper cables and try again.

--
    Awesome, thanks. I will give it a whirl tomorrow. I have an extra motor that has the starter clutch in it. I will most likely swap them out. I went to advanced auto with my manual showing them what I needed to pull it. They told me they had nothing like that. . Can someone point me into the direction of what I need. There are so many variations for a three way puller. Is the image below what I need ? Thank you for all the help.

Name:	E7B6E52C-1BC2-4369-B47E-19FF044DCE63.jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	250659

YamaBoss is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    https://mobiledistributorsupply.com/...SABEgIAuvD_BwE

You need a puller like this with some long m8x1.25 threaded bolts. I think they have to be at least 8 inches long. Got mine at fastenal.

--
    Thank you for the info. I found a nice puller at Harbor Frieght for $ 12.00. It is a 46 piece set but there is no metric pieces. I didn’t find any 8 inch Bolts that are m8x1.25 but I got a smaller one just to test before I order it online and it is too small. Does anyone know the size or have a link to a manual that will let me know the size of bolt I need. Thanks

--
    Well I got an M10x150 and it was way too big. I have no clue what size it would be.

--
    I don't remember what size the bolts were. If you find out, maybe you could get some metric all thread and some nuts and make your own "bolts"?

--
    That’s the plan. After work tomorrow I am going to buy all sorts of sizes at the store to figure it out. I am starting to think Yamaboss is correct on the size with the M8 but I was given the wrong size when I got them. When I figure the size out I will post it here for future reference.

--
    So the size is 8 m by 1.25. Not sure what I was doing the first time ��.

I have a puller like yamaboss showed above. How do I hold it from turning ? I looked all over online and can’t seem to find how to use it.

Thanks.

--
    Well I got it pulled but it came out in pieces. Is this normal or did I break it pulling it out ? The three Bolts holding it together are broke. See picture below.

Name:	9E64B3C0-92CE-41BC-AAEC-206544844A3F.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	251065

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //