//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clutch Issue, 85 200x.

--

Clutch Issue, 85 200x.

Okay so I posted before about my trike having all the carbon build up and all, the guy I bought it from is also the mechanic that stripped down the motor and saw how bad it was, Remember he bought it a year ago and then sold it to me without riding it much. Anyway he gave me his other 200x engine until my top end gets rebuilt (which was awesome) However I am noticing with this engine my clutch seems to only work when the trike is warmed up. For example, If I start the trike up and try to shift into first with the clutch pulled all the way it will just jump forward and shut off. If the trike is off and cold and I pull on the clutch and put it in gear I can't push it forward or backwards the back tires will just lock up as if the clutch isn't being used....Only when the trike warmed up will the clutch begin to work and work well, I don't have any problems with it after that....Any Ideas Wth is going on here, or is this just a common thing with these machines....Mind you this is the first trike I have ever owned I was more of a dirt bike rider...thanks in advance guys.

--
    Could be a worn clutch basket but it is common for the Honda clutches to be stuck when cold .
    A couple oil changes with some gn4 might help as well .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Quote Originally Posted by shortline10 View Post
    Could be a worn clutch basket but it is common for the Honda clutches to be stuck when cold .
    A couple oil changes with some gn4 might help as well .
    Forgot to update this with the results....It's working now as it should just have to warm it up a little before taking off

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion200x View Post
    Forgot to update this with the results....It's working now as it should just have to warm it up a little before taking off
    I'm glad it's working for you but........

I still would be tempted to inspect the basket and more over........clean thoroughly the drive and driven plates.

--
    Do you know how long the engine sat? Might just be some buildup on the clutches. I've bought a bunch of ratted out "junk" 3 wheelers that sat for years. Got them running and right away the clutches didn't work very well. After a couple hours of riding and shifting a lot, they generally end up working like normal. If it sat for a long time, I'd suggest changing the oil if you haven't already. Just make sure the oil has the right specs for wet clutches. Any oil that claims better mpg or low friction will have friction modifiers in them which won't work with the clutch.

--
    I’m installing the clutch basket right now and using the special tool to tighten it the basket itself spins, so where the book says to use the penny isn’t doing me any good. I’ve never had this happen before and I’m stumped

--
    Clean the oil centrifuge while you’re in there.
    The last set of clutches I put in I used an impact and held it with a welding glove
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Slappy View Post
    I’m installing the clutch basket right now and using the special tool to tighten it the basket itself spins, so where the book says to use the penny isn’t doing me any good. I’ve never had this happen before and I’m stumped
    If you don’t have a clutch holding tool, they are unobtanium, then tighten the nut down with a couple wraps of an impact.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    I can spin the plates and the 4 posts when I turn the special nut. Is that normal?

--
    I can spin the plates and the 4 posts when I turn the special nut. Is that normal?
    Yes, that is normal on a 200x.

--
    I normally stick a flat head screw driver in the gear teeth to stop it from spinning. Not the most ideal thing in the world, but another option. Idea is to get as much of the tool to contact the screwdriver as possible to spread out the forces more. I think that would be easier to work with than a penny, penny is probably suggested because it's made of copper (1982 and older) and is weak enough not to damage the teeth.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    I normally stick a flat head screw driver in the gear teeth to stop it from spinning. Not the most ideal thing in the world, but another option. Idea is to get as much of the tool to contact the screwdriver as possible to spread out the forces more. I think that would be easier to work with than a penny, penny is probably suggested because it's made of copper (1982 and older) and is weak enough not to damage the teeth.
    You cannot “gear lock” the inner clutch hub on the 200x. Rather if you are talking about how to lock gears then I would use a penny or get a motion pro gear locker off of Amazon.

--
    But I can’t use the gears to stop the basket from spinning at this time. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	945.9 KB 
ID:	255726this deal will spin when I try to tight it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	488B24E1-A2BC-4CB6-A0CE-59F601E7D70D.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	255729

--
    Interesting, never had to pull the clutch basket on a 200x, so never really messed around with that model that far. Worked well for a 250es, that or I put it in a the highest gear and stopped the tires from moving. I see the engine is apart a lot, I've always had the engine in the machine when working in that area, so little different situation. If you can stop the output shaft of the transmission somehow, could put it in the highest gear and try that, have to hold the engine somehow too. The proper tool would probably be best lol. AKA, flat bar/sheet, drill the bolt hole locations out and mount it up to the 4 bolt holes and have the center cut out for the socket and a long enough handle to stop it from spinning..
    Last edited by ps2fixer; 11-25-2018 at 10:49 PM.

--
    But I can’t use the gears to stop the basket from spinning at this time. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	945.9 KB 
ID:	255726this deal will spin when I try to tight it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	488B24E1-A2BC-4CB6-A0CE-59F601E7D70D.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	255729
    I assume you are right handed? If so put a thick glove on your left hand or get a bunch of rags to hold the inner hub. Then hit it a couple times with your impact. Make sense? You are holding it while you drive on the nut with an impact.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //