//ArrowChat Code

Thread: New to me XR400

--

New to me XR400

Got a new to me 1998 xr400. It’s mechanically all stock , and original save for some bars. Ran ok when I got it but wouldn’t idle with out the choke. Re jetted it and cleaned the carb and she runs like a champ. Have a power tip for the exhaust in the mail with a few other things , levers , nuts and bolts , and a used odometer from ebay (original one was missing). Plastics are 20 years old but zero cracks so I’ll leave em for now. I’ll put my money into a bigger tank and some pegs for now. Excited for the new ride. Missing a back wheel I know but I’m stoked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

--
    Nice ride, that's a good trail bike

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Current Trikes:
    85 350x
    P3 (x2)

Quads:
    2003 Polaris Predator 500
    1988 Yamaha Warrior
    2003 Polaris Predator 90

Previous Trikes:
    84 Honda 110 (parts)
    85 Honda 110
    85 Honda 200x
    87 Honda 200x
    85 Honda 250sx
    KX 80 Trike conversion

Gone and missed:

--
    Good score!

Where's that at?....Hesperia? It almost looks like Yucca Valley...but no Joshua trees.

--
    Thanks Matt. That’s what I got it for.
    And yes Kanppy that’s actually oak hills. Hesperia kinda. Right at the top of the hill. My parents place. Where I keep my trailer and my extra stuff.

--
    Great bike!!! My friend has one. He keeps bugging me to buy it.

What's the bike situation in Cali? Cheap?

What do you mean "missing a back wheel"?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Canadian View Post
    He means it's not a 3-wheeler!

I have a 2000 XR400. Truly an awesome bike. Unfortunately, my dirt bike skills are not awesome.
    Some of my friends have ridden it closer to its potential. Some would even say it's one of the best "woods bikes" ever made.
    And deceptively fast. It is faster than my 250R across my front yard - it doesn't feel as fast, but it definitely is.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Canadian View Post
    Great bike!!! My friend has one. He keeps bugging me to buy it.

What's the bike situation in Cali? Cheap?

It’s a great bike to have. Easy to ride and very reliable. Southern Cali is a great place to buy a used bike. We picked this up for 1200$. Had a dirty carb, up to date registration and pink slip in hand. Cleaned it up and it runs great. A clean xr400 averages about 1800 to 2200. If there street legal it’s worth over 3000.
    And as keister stated , it’s not a three wheeler. Just my bad attempt at humor.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by keister View Post
    He means it's not a 3-wheeler!

I have a 2000 XR400. Truly an awesome bike. Unfortunately, my dirt bike skills are not awesome.
    Some of my friends have ridden it closer to its potential. Some would even say it's one of the best "woods bikes" ever made.
    And deceptively fast. It is faster than my 250R across my front yard - it doesn't feel as fast, but it definitely is.
    I’m with you, my dirt bike skills are mediocre. But that’s the nice thing about this bike you can trail ride it all day and it’s fine. As far as power yeah there much quicker than people give them credit for. Only 266lbs and if you have them tuned correctly (air box mods and carb jets with exhaust tip) they push almost 33-35 hp at the wheel.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Powell View Post
    It’s a great bike to have. Easy to ride and very reliable. Southern Cali is a great place to buy a used bike. We picked this up for 1200$. Had a dirty carb, up to date registration and pink slip in hand. Cleaned it up and it runs great. A clean xr400 averages about 1800 to 2200. If there street legal it’s worth over 3000.
    And as keister stated , it’s not a three wheeler. Just my bad attempt at humor.

LOL. I was a bit slow on that one. Prices are about the same. Maybe a bit higher here when they do go up for sale. I still love my '85 XL250R. Thing has history with me and runs great.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    These are a way better bike than, I dunno, like the DR650 for example.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Haha. Sub tweet of the day goes to Fabio.

--
    I will say this. I have ridden a DRZ400 and it was noticeably faster than my XR400.
    My XR is all stock and the DRZ had a pipe, so maybe that was part of it.
    But the DRZ is fuel injected and also e-start.
    If I had it to do over, I might have gone the other way on that choice.
    But my dirt bike days are done for anyway, I need to stick with trikes (but I'll keep my Fat Cat just in case).

--

New to me XR400

Quote Originally Posted by keister View Post
    I will say this. I have ridden a DRZ400 and it was noticeably faster than my XR400.
    My XR is all stock and the DRZ had a pipe, so maybe that was part of it.
    But the DRZ is fuel injected and also e-start.
    If I had it to do over, I might have gone the other way on that choice.
    But my dirt bike days are done for anyway, I need to stick with trikes (but I'll keep my Fat Cat just in case).
    I would guess just based on motor design the drz is faster. Keep in mind though the drz weighs over 30lbs more than the xr (e start radiator etc). I prefer the xr based on how it rides. Turns a bit tighter and the drz feels top heavy. All a preference. Plus I’m a Honda guy.

--

Oh......Ok....... It's on now!

https://youtu.be/HnFPxIl3Frc

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //