//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1984 ATC250R shock

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --

1984 ATC250R shock

I'd like to try and get my 480R into rider trim, and that means putting a stock swing arm on it. I just ordered a used swing arm from Ebay, but I have a couple questions.

I know I asked someone this recently and I cannot remember what the answer was, but I thought there were differences in the rear suspension between the 83 an 84 250R. I don't recall what the difference was, but all the shocks and swing arms on Ebay are listed as fitting 83 and 84. I could have sworn there was something that was different.

Also, this is the most important part of this post- I need to do something about my shock. The last time I rode the 480 it rattled the shock reservoir banjo bolt loose and as such the shock puked all of it's oil everywhere and lost it's charge I'm guessing, but I don't know how that works. It turned into a pogo stick but I wasn't far from my truck so it was parked not long after that happened. What I need to know is, can I just put oil back in it and have it charged? It wasn't blown. If so, does anyone know how to do this?

Also I know on the Tecates and Tri-Z's you can fit shocks from modern quads, 400EX's and Warriors and such. Is there a shock out there that is a bolt in for the 84 250R? I'd consider doing that if so, but I haven't found anything that leads me to believe it's feasible. I tried searching for information but came up with nothing. Would anyone know about this? Thanks guys.
    Last edited by fabiodriven; 02-27-2018 at 04:41 AM.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Well according to the manual, it doesn't look very difficult to fill the the oil back up and then just have the shock charged. I should be able to handle that myself.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

plevib is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I believe the difference between 83 and 84 is the width of the linkage. I will try to find a picture but where the linkage mounts to the swing arm is different from 83 to 84

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Atc 500x for the win! (Hopefully.... one day)

--
    Last edited by atc300r; 02-27-2018 at 10:26 AM.
    250r rules

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Well according to the manual, it doesn't look very difficult to fill the the oil back up and then just have the shock charged. I should be able to handle that myself.
    My buddy did his 350X shock and filled it himself with refrigeration gauges + nitrogen. Like yours, it was really just an oil change and recharge.

I'd flush yours with new fluid and get it filled at a shop.
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Yup that's what I'm going to do Steve, thanks.

As per the instructions in the manual, I will have to release the nitrogen remaining in the shock in order to perform this service. Is that as simple as opening the Schrader valve and releasing it or does that not release the nitrogen charge?
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Yup that's what I'm going to do Steve, thanks.

As per the instructions in the manual, I will have to release the nitrogen remaining in the shock in order to perform this service. Is that as simple as opening the Schrader valve and releasing it or does that not release the nitrogen charge?
    Yeah open the Schrader
    I've been watching these vids (Barnett would love this)
    They have a whole series....this is part 1
    https://youtu.be/Xne5oazDHKo

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    That answers everything, thanks so much. It's amazing to me that eBay is swamped with 83/84 rear suspension and swing arm parts that don't clearly list them as their true respective years.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

HondaRidr is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Fabio, I know that the liquid cooled rear shocks have very similar (or identical) mounting points (the shock, not the frame or linkage) as the 84 rear shock. I believe they would bolt in but they are much longer overall. I thought about putting an 84 spring on a 85,86 shock but the body of the shock is longer than a 84 as well.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

--
    That's good to know. I think I'd like to keep the ride height stock and it should be chicken to fix this one so I'll do that. Thanks though! Great info!
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Link didn't work for me?

--
    It works fine for me. It was the exact answer too, lol.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--

--
    brandonlowe2 ran into this issue with the shock recently.

We replaced the swingarm with a 2nd generation 250R OEM swingarm. That means 1983 or 1984 right? WRONG! We bought an ’84 swingarm and skid plate, cleaned them up, had them powder coated and then, and only then realized that and ’83 and ’84 swingarm are totally different when it comes time to mount them to the bike due to the different shock linkages. It’s a very subtle yet important difference. So, learn from us if you are building a 2nd generation 250R make sure that the parts you are using are the same for both years otherwise buy the exact year model you need. We ended up finding an ’83 swingarm and all was well, until we realized we had to get an ’83 skid plate too!

Link. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...n-Build-Thread
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

--
    So (I think) the mounting tabs are different on the rear, going from memory. Is that correct? Here's the one I just got. Do you know which one this is?

85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //