//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Whats this worth?

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --

Whats this worth?

Honda ATC185S motor, been sitting outside for who knows how long, spark plug out of it. Will turn over partway and then stops. Must be rust in the cylinder. Is it worth $20? Worth anything for parts?
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

--
    20 bucks to gain spare parts for something you already own is good deal. To flip or just put on a shelf for the future no way

--
    Well, I kinda want it to tear down and learn about the inside of these Hondas. I need to rebuild my 200M motor but having never rebuilt a motor before I thought it might be nice to get a cheap junk Honda and tear it down. Then I dont care if I mess something up, and learn what to do and what not to do. And I know what to expect when I get into my 200M.

Figured I could sell a side cover or some piece off it and that would pay for it, then keep the rest as spare parts. Just was wondering whether it was even worth it or not. I should probably just bite the bullet and rebuild my 200M, its just one of those things thats been on the back burner forever. I dont have a place to ride anymore so I havent done it yet. And I am not sure what its all gonna need when I get into it, and how much it will cost.

Da velder

--
    Quote Originally Posted by BarnBoy View Post
    Well, I kinda want it to tear down and learn about the inside of these Hondas. I need to rebuild my 200M motor but having never rebuilt a motor before I thought it might be nice to get a cheap junk Honda and tear it down. Then I dont care if I mess something up, and learn what to do and what not to do. And I know what to expect when I get into my 200M.

Figured I could sell a side cover or some piece off it and that would pay for it, then keep the rest as spare parts. Just was wondering whether it was even worth it or not. I should probably just bite the bullet and rebuild my 200M, its just one of those things thats been on the back burner forever. I dont have a place to ride anymore so I havent done it yet. And I am not sure what its all gonna need when I get into it, and how much it will cost.
    Or you might end up rebuilding it correctly after all and then you got a spare motor for your next trike. You can't own just one. All of us have tried but our garages, sheds, and barns all say otherwise.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    If you want to learn more about the engines and such, the $20 for the engine shouldn't really be viewed as the cost of the engine, but more the cost of what you'd learn and the experience gained. Is it worth $20 to you to have an engine to take apart before you take your good engine apart?

The two engines are pretty similar, so some parts should interchange and the construction of how they come apart etc should be pretty similar. I never had a 200m, but plenty of 200es's, and a 185s which were pretty similar, just the chain vs shaft drive output was the major difference.

As far as what's wrong with the engine, I'd be guessing the engine was stopped with a valve down and it got rusted up. Depending how much someone fiddled trying to get it to roll over, it might have a bent valve if that's the case. Rusted cylinder would cause a similar situation, but generally more it's worked with, the farther it will go and eventually roll over completely. Transmission gears might be rusted up too, if too bad, it's not worth fixing unless you bought another gear set cheap. The electronics and such are probably fine, but not sure what interchanges to your 200m.

Good luck with the project either way!

--
    I say pick it up. Hey. It is only $20.

Find out what is wrong when you take it apart. Learning.

Good recoil on it?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    Or you might end up rebuilding it correctly after all and then you got a spare motor for your next trike. You can't own just one. All of us have tried but our garages, sheds, and barns all say otherwise.
    I know it. I only have one good trike but seems to have a whole bunch of parts that I keep collecting. lol

Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    If you want to learn more about the engines and such, the $20 for the engine shouldn't really be viewed as the cost of the engine, but more the cost of what you'd learn and the experience gained. Is it worth $20 to you to have an engine to take apart before you take your good engine apart?

The two engines are pretty similar, so some parts should interchange and the construction of how they come apart etc should be pretty similar. I never had a 200m, but plenty of 200es's, and a 185s which were pretty similar, just the chain vs shaft drive output was the major difference.

As far as what's wrong with the engine, I'd be guessing the engine was stopped with a valve down and it got rusted up. Depending how much someone fiddled trying to get it to roll over, it might have a bent valve if that's the case. Rusted cylinder would cause a similar situation, but generally more it's worked with, the farther it will go and eventually roll over completely. Transmission gears might be rusted up too, if too bad, it's not worth fixing unless you bought another gear set cheap. The electronics and such are probably fine, but not sure what interchanges to your 200m.

Good luck with the project either way!
    Yeah, I think you are right. To me I think its worth $20 to gain experience before getting into my good engine.

Yeah, I actually have a good running 185S motor and spare bottom end, and I know from working on them that the flywheel and stator will not interchange, neither will the recoil. Carbs I dunno, most everything else will interchange I think.

I didnt fiddle with it too much, but sure felt like a valve sticking, but I wasnt sure cause the spark plug was out of it. Dont think I bent anything messing with it but who knows who else has messed with it. I have a spare head so valves are no biggie. Got a spare bottom end for a 185s so I have good gears from that.

No, sadly it does not have a recoil, sprocket cover, or shifter. But otherwise is complete. Gonna see about picking it up soon then. Thanks for the advice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mathis-185Smotor.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	250849

Da velder

--
    Doesn't look too bad for sitting out in the weather, I think I see corrosion in the intake tube so hopefully the intake valve was shut while it was sitting and just the valve is sticking a little. Environment makes a pretty big difference, over here in Michigan, we get a fair bit of ran, and there's a lot of swamp/low land so an engine sitting outside generally means in mud and the bottom is always wet/rotting. If it was sitting in Arizona for 20 years, it probably still wouldn't have any rust lol.

If I saw an engine like that and I had a similar machine, I'd grab it for $20. There's probably something good in it that's worth $20+ for parts. Another thing to note on those 200 series engines, under the "CDI" cover is a pulse generator and the mechanical system for spark advancement. The two springs commonly are rusty/broken around my area. If it looks bad at all, I'd say pull the part out, take it apart and clean it up good, and if the springs are bad, jump on ebay and look for them, I have a listing on there. Don't have to buy from me since it's over priced, but the part number is in the listing to buy from Honda.

I'm guessing you'll get the engine running fine possibility after a head swap. Hopefully the rings/cylinder are in good shape, but while you're in there could always pull it and put new rings in and hone the cylinder (measure it if you can to be sure it's good yet). These Honda motors are pretty tough from getting destroyed too easily.

--
    Buy it and attempt ANYTHING you've been afraid of in the past.

Put the gears on and off the transmission 10X until you see and understand all of it.

Use it as your "experiment"....
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Thanks ps2fixer. It was actually buried underneath like 4 push mower carcasses lol. I was trying to get at this old Lawn Boy in the back and was pitching mowers out of the way and there it was. Was laying off the ground too on some blocks. Sadly at the time I wasnt sure if I should get it so I left it there. Should have covered it up again, but hopefully I can go back and get it soon.

Thanks Dirtcrasher, I think thats what I will do. Because for $20 I bet there is something worth that on Ebay even if I screw it up to where it wont run again. I have some bottom ends I was going to do that with but they are missing a bunch of parts, and obviously have no top ends. This way I think I will get the benefit of tearing down a complete motor. Now I am excited about it, hopefully the guy lets me back into his junkyard to get it.

Da velder

--
    The CDI is worth it if it as the 2 springs & are in good shape...
    MF!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes12 View Post
    The CDI is worth it if it as the 2 springs & are in good shape...
    You can get the springs new, part number is in 3ww shop or you can order from there to support the site (fees goes to 3ww), full disclosure, I'm the seller of them and they are marked up over Honda prices, just so few people know about it.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //