//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 185 cdi

--

185 cdi

So we are flipping two 185s and are looking for a affordable CDI, any suggestions?

--
    Year does matter, since there's several CDI plug types. If it's a really old one I think it runs on points, around 80 it had a square standard style 6 pin plug. Somewhere around 84-85 most Honda's had a round 6 wire plug (plug out of production), after that it was 4+2 like CDI's on modern machine, but I don't think the 185 was made in this era.

No experience directly for me, but for the 200es there's been reports of using the china CDI boxes from ebay and having it work. Pretty sure the 185's ignition system is similar if it uses the square 6 pin cid plug.

Here's the thread I think I'm thinking of. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ent-MythBusted

FYI, most CDI's are more or less the same, but some have built in spark advancement, and some don't. Your 185 should be like the 200es, which uses a mechanical spark advancer under the CDI cover on the head of the engine, which means the CDI has little to no spark advancement in it's electronics. The spark curve is the big difference on the CDI's from my understanding, besides if it runs off DC vs AC power.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    Year does matter, since there's several CDI plug types. If it's a really old one I think it runs on points, around 80 it had a square standard style 6 pin plug. Somewhere around 84-85 most Honda's had a round 6 wire plug (plug out of production), after that it was 4+2 like CDI's on modern machine, but I don't think the 185 was made in this era.

No experience directly for me, but for the 200es there's been reports of using the china CDI boxes from ebay and having it work. Pretty sure the 185's ignition system is similar if it uses the square 6 pin cid plug.

Here's the thread I think I'm thinking of. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ent-MythBusted

FYI, most CDI's are more or less the same, but some have built in spark advancement, and some don't. Your 185 should be like the 200es, which uses a mechanical spark advancer under the CDI cover on the head of the engine, which means the CDI has little to no spark advancement in it's electronics. The spark curve is the big difference on the CDI's from my understanding, besides if it runs off DC vs AC power.
    Being I have never owned a 185 until now, I'm pretty sure all 185 were CDI, were they not? I also think you are wrong about the CDI plug pins, these are both 5 pins and if I'm not mistaken the same as what's in a 110 CDI motor.
    My only question was where was a good place to get one?

--
    Good place to buy an OEM CDI would be ebay. Honda uses 6 pin connectors for every CDI that I've ever seen, but some only have 5 wires used. The 6th wire is commonly used for a reverse detection wire so it can't be started while in reverse. I might be thinking of a 110 for the pre 80 era, it was late last night lol.

Anyway, I did a quick search on ebay and there's tons of Used and New Aftermarket CDI's listed there $10-100 for 80-83.

--
    I'm pretty sure you can use a pitbike cdi on them as long as it has the same plug
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    Hey. Do you need 2 of them? To get them running?

Ebay would be the cheapest as you would know for offshore aftermarket CDI's. Hit and miss IF they work OR have to rewire it. I know you want to keep it cheap.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

--
    So far, I've used a couple of those Chinese CDIs on a 83 185s and my AutoX with a 81 ATC200 engine on it and have been having good luck. I've also bought some in the past that didn't work, so yes, they're kind of hit and miss.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //