//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I cannot make these run!!

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkoht View Post
    Any motor other than a car should use ethanol free gas. From my outboard, to atv, to act, to saw, to trimmers, to mowers, to generators all are fed ethanol free gas. All can be started after sitting all winter too.
    I agree, but Steve (the OP) and myself live in Massachusetts. We don't have access to non-ethanol gasoline aside from race and aviation gas.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    I agree, but Steve (the OP) and myself live in Massachusetts. We don't have access to non-ethanol gasoline aside from race and aviation gas.
    Wish that wasn't true.....some marinas bring in ethanol free gasoline in CT but most only let boats fill up.

--
    Funny, isn't it?

The "solution" to environmental pollution is to implement a fuel type which is inherently destructive to EVERYTHING you put it in, this rendering most equipment disposable junk in just a short period of time which increases consumption by creating a perpetual need for new equipment and the highly pollutive process of manufacturing those new replacement pieces of equipment.

I've been in manufacturing as a machinist for 20 of the last 30 yrs and we know that most Americans, and especially those who call themselves environmentalists, are F@$$king CLUELESS about sustainable practices and the environmental damage that results from just MAKING the items they so readily consume.

Contrary to what you've been told, the manufacturing processes and energy consumed involved in building a single new automobile far outweigh it's environmental impact from ALL the fuels, oil, and rubber it will consume during it's entire lifetime as a whole unit.

1) Mining ore for the metal parts and all the energy that this consumes
    2) pumping oil,mining coal, tapping natural gas needed for all the plastic parts and all the energy that consumes
    3) smelting those ores plus the required energy
    4) chemically engineering oil, coal, and gas into plastics and again, the necessary energy consumption
    5)each and every plant that makes each and every individual part and all the energy that consumes
    6) creating all the solids and hardeners and solvents in the paint and all the energy that requires to manufacture
    7) transportation of each and every one of those components and the energy that consumes
    8) machining that billet plus the energy
    9) the manufacturing and mining of rubber plus the energy
    10) sheet metal manufacturing and that energy
    11) the final assembly plant and that energy requirement
    12) transportation of the finished product to the car lot and, you guessed it, the energy burned

Just think about every factory and every support shop or factory involved in each of these components and it will blow your mind. From the plants toilet paper for the employee's bathrooms and cleaning supplies all the way to the stuff required to make the product itself.

Seriously think about that for a few minutes.....

This is actually way more interwoven and complex than I simplified it down to keep the post shorter.

Building one electric or fossil fuel car, either one, will consume FAR more energy and resources and damage the environment much more than it will ever manage to do by itself as a whole unit.

This is why environmentalists are ignorant at best and short sighted at worst. Your smart car and your ethanol fuel and your electric weed eater already did it's part to ruin the Earth LONG before you bought it new from Lowe's Home Center and took it out of the box for the first time.

Fools will never save the Earth because this crucial fact escapes their grasp but anyone with a background in manufacturing knows I speak the truth

By recycling trikes, we are actually helping the Earth by saving it from the damage caused by manufacturing more new ATVs and, God help us, those SxS's (UTVs)

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ironchop; 03-27-2018 at 10:53 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by glamy View Post
    Yeah see ........and just imagine all the crops the farmers would save by eating the korn in my do-do !!!! ............and peanuts too !!! .........and they could oh so benefit from the nourishment ..........no more and den
    Mr.Diesel originally intended his revolutionary new engine design to run on renewable peanuts just like the ones in your or on powdered coal.....but then Mr Rockefeller decided that a byproduct of his own gasoline production would be a much better choice...and so it was written....because Diesel couldn't mount much of a protest from the grave

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    Funny, isn't it?

The "solution" to environmental pollution is to implement a fuel type which is inherently destructive to EVERYTHING you put it in, this rendering most equipment disposable junk in just a short period of time which increases consumption by creating a perpetual need for new equipment and the highly pollutive process of manufacturing those new replacement pieces of equipment.

I've been in manufacturing as a machinist for 20 of the last 30 yrs and we know that most Americans, and especially those who call themselves environmentalists, are F@$$king CLUELESS about sustainable practices and the environmental damage that results from just MAKING the items they so readily consume.

Contrary to what you've been told, the manufacturing processes and energy consumed involved in building a single new automobile far outweigh it's environmental impact from ALL the fuels, oil, and rubber it will consume during it's entire lifetime as a whole unit.

1) Mining ore for the metal parts and all the energy that this consumes
    2) pumping oil,mining coal, tapping natural gas needed for all the plastic parts and all the energy that consumes
    3) smelting those ores plus the required energy
    4) chemically engineering oil, coal, and gas into plastics and again, the necessary energy consumption
    5)each and every plant that makes each and every individual part and all the energy that consumes
    6) creating all the solids and hardeners and solvents in the paint and all the energy that requires to manufacture
    7) transportation of each and every one of those components and the energy that consumes
    8) machining that billet plus the energy
    9) the manufacturing and mining of rubber plus the energy
    10) sheet metal manufacturing and that energy
    11) the final assembly plant and that energy requirement
    12) transportation of the finished product to the car lot and, you guessed it, the energy burned

Just think about every factory and every support shop or factory involved in each of these components and it will blow your mind. From the plants toilet paper for the employee's bathrooms and cleaning supplies all the way to the stuff required to make the product itself.

Seriously think about that for a few minutes.....

This is actually way more interwoven and complex than I simplified it down to keep the post shorter.

Building one electric or fossil fuel car, either one, will consume FAR more energy and resources and damage the environment much more than it will ever manage to do by itself as a whole unit.

This is why environmentalists are ignorant at best and short sighted at worst. Your smart car and your ethanol fuel and your electric weed eater already did it's part to ruin the Earth LONG before you bought it new from Lowe's Home Center and took it out of the box for the first time.

Fools will never save the Earth because this crucial fact escapes their grasp but anyone with a background in manufacturing knows I speak the truth

By recycling trikes, we are actually helping the Earth by saving it from the damage caused by manufacturing more new ATVs and, God help us, those SxS's (UTVs)

Also, lets not forget all those folks who want to complain about the starving masses because there's not enough food to feed the world are alot of the same people promoting ethanol, otherwise known as turning food into fuel. Priceless.
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    A page back on the mention of http://Chainsawr.com my dad and I have ordered parts from there, good experience with them.

Kind of funny how this got into talking about the EPA and such. It's crazy how much of a throw away society we are living in. I'm cheap, so almost everything I own that costs a lot new I buy used, so I have to know how to repair/maintain it better than the average consumer, but I save money 99% of the time. I mean I drive a 1990 LS400 and a 1998 T100, both were under $1000, last car was a $650 Corolla that I got 37-40mpg in and drove it 80k miles with only minor repairs needed (radiator and exhaust down pipe to cat). I guess based on the comment before me I'm helping the environment even though I drive a v8 car that gets 27mpg on the highway @75mph.

All of my Chainsaws were used too, my dad has a couple new ones but most of his are used too. Can't beat a $280 6421 from home depot, out of 5 saws, one needed clutch bearings and one had a bent bar. These saws get used by a lot of people, so they get abused a bit, but they *should* be maintained well with a new chain each time it comes back and cleaned up etc. FYI, the safety chain they come with is trash, hardly will grab anything. Get a quality chain on it and it's a monster for a stock 64cc saw.

Ironically the mention of the 4300 series, my dad bought one of them new too and loves it for using to de-branch/trim, but he uses a 6100 or 6400 for most of the "real" cutting, 7900 if it's over 20in, and I don't remember what his big saw was for sure, but I think it's the 9000 series. Normally it's like a 10500rpm limit, but he put a higher rev coil on it so it can do 12k rpm. Numbers are from memory, so I'm probably messing something up. If I remember right (could be wrong again), the 4300, 5100, and 6100 series are the same platform similar to how the 6400 and 7900 series are the same platform. He doesn't tune the high on the carb by ear any more, he uses an electronic tach to tune it to a little under rev limiter, low end is still tuned by ear.

I also completely agree about the ethanol free fuel, locally it's called recreational fuel and is 90 octane (overkill for most applications). If you plan to use the tool a lot in a day, you could get away using the normal pump gas and putting the rect fuel in for the last tank. The ethanol effect is time based, so longer it sits in the carb, the more damage it can do. It is also strongly suggested to have a fuel cut off on machines that have room for it (like a generator) and either run it out of fuel with the fuel cutoff turned off, or run the tank completely dry. Long term storage with a fuel cutoff valve ironically is a full tank of gas, big time for metal tanks like 3 wheelers have, this prevents rust inside the tank. Sadly, the rect fuel is about $1 more per gal at the closest station, about 20 miles away there's another that's closer to 50-60 cents more and is a little higher octane.

I keep writing huge replies for some reason lol.

--
    I think the 5100-6100 is the same platform, but I believe the small end stops at 5100. The 4300 and maybe one step up are their own platform if I'm not mistaken. It's refreshing to see a brand that realizes there are still people who want a well built saw under 45cc and actually offer a split mag case saw in that class. Husky hasn't had a solid pro-grade saw under 45cc since they discontinued the 242xp. I have one I just rebuilt/restored and I love that little bugger! It has a noticeably smaller feel to it in handling than my 346xp and it flat out screams although it runs out of HP in wood larger than about 10". But it was designed to be a fast limbing saw and it does that job well. Husky has the 543xp now but it's a joke, not even a Husky design but rather a Redmax design with some improvements by Husky. Redmax are OK, but after handling a new 543xp at my dealer, I feel the old 242xp is by far superior. When talking current production, I think there is but one choice for a sub-45cc and that is Dolmar/Makita.

There are two very under-appreciated brands in saw world that are very overshadowed by Husky and Stihl, they are Dolmar and Echo. Echo are Japanese made and I have not yet run one, but you would be hard pressed to find a dissatisfied Echo owner. They also offer a good lineup of "pro" saws as well.
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    Oh just thought of something, should mention that Dolmar doesn't exist any more, Mikita discontinued the line up and now brands all chainsaws as Mikita with the dolmar red/orage color. They ran parallel models for years in both brands, so it's a logical move on the business costs side of things.

Another brand missed is Solo which is built in Germany saw, they had a contract or something for a while with Dolmar, and they sold the same saw re-branded as Solo. Don't know a whole lot about the company, but from what I remember it's considered quite good too.

The Echo my dad has is pretty impressive for such a little weed wacker. It has a nice crisp pop to the exhaust much like the Dolmar/Mikita saws, or to put in other terms, it sounds like a little well built dirtbike engine. Even though it's the little 21cc (maybe it was 24cc can't remember for sure), it uses the larger bar arm. The brush blade arm he put on it was from a Troy Bilt 31cc weed wacker that died after 30-45 mins of use from new (flywheel key broke which requires replacing the whole flywheel to repair). It sat around a couple of years before we used it so out of warranty which sucks. Ironically I've had better luck with junk picked weed wackers over the Troy Bilt...

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Flywheel key... See that Joe?
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Troy Built..... now there's a brand that went downhill in quality quite a bit since the 1980s

--
    Flywheel key... See that Joe?
    Not really sure what you're trying to say, but here's a photo of a non-broken one. Pretty stupid the key isn't replaceable like the old school design.

--
    Inside joke my friend, that's all. :-)
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    I see, I was questioning if I was calling it the wrong part name or something lol.

--
    You are right ps2fixer about the Makita buyout of Dolmar. Kind of a shame really but these things happen. Dolmar just couldn't maintain a strong market share against Stihl and Husky I suppose.

Integrated flywheel key: yes it does "cheapen" the design a bit but you would probably be shocked to know how many pro grade saws now use them. I would wager they are a bit better design than that of the Troybilt Wacker though. One nice thing about them, easier to file the key when playing with ignition timing than the old style...

And yes, a little inside joke involving Stevo insisting he had "neva seen a tree-fiddy-x flyhweel key shear"... (N.E. accent). Well, it was my pleasure to show old Steve something he'd "neva" seen before that day!
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    FYI, it's not like anything is really changing, Makita has owned Dolmar since 1991.

On the ignition timing, since my dad's been into the porting/building saws for a bit now, the trick is to just remove the key and clock it. If it's too smooth, ruff up the mating surface a little. I didn't know that was really an option back when the Troy Bilt died. I guess it's a good sign to stay away from a brand that can't even spell built right unless it has some other hidden meaning.
    Last edited by ps2fixer; 03-29-2018 at 09:06 PM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //