//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 200x cam replacement problems

--

200x cam replacement problems

Tore into my 200x I bought recently to put a xr200 cam into it. I have the motor on top dead center, the valve tappets are super loose and the cam chain sprocket is removed but the camshaft will not pull out from the head. Does it mean my cam journals are shot? There any fix for that or does it mean a new head? Followed everything in the manual so I'm assuming the cam not coming out freely is a bad sign.

--
    Also if this makes a difference the cam will spin easily till the lobes try to lift the valves and also there is a little wiggle in and out to it, however it wont slide all the way out.

--
    There should be a retainer plate you have to remove to pull the camshaft out

You have to pull the cam and actually measure the lobes in order to know for sure if it's bad. The movement you speak of is normal even with a new cam

Looks like #7 in this schematic...

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Thanks Ironchop as the manual I have does not mention the retainer. However I removed the retainer and still no luck. Cam only wiggles some and will not come out.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by deathwobble View Post
    Thanks Ironchop as the manual I have does not mention the retainer. However I removed the retainer and still no luck. Cam only wiggles some and will not come out.
    It's kind of a tricky thing to remove for sure. You almost need three hands unless you pull the valve cover (which has no gasket so it can be reinstalled easily with just some new gasket sealer). You might loosen the valve cover, take the inspection caps over the valve springs off, and back off the studs on the rockers that contact the valve stem tops. You also have to hold down the rockers to the valve stem tops so the rockers don't fall between the lobes and keep the cam from coming out

--
    Matter of fact, just pull the valve cover off the head and you can see the journals and remove cam easily

--
    When the cam lobes get really worn bad, they get ridges on the side of the lobes and if someone kept adjusting the valve lash, theoretically, those ridges could keep cam from coming out easily

--
    Part number 2 inner cam bushing has most likely gotten groves worn into it as with the cam .
    This will cause the cam to be hard to remove .
    Do like Doug has suggested , pull the valve cover and it will come out easily .

I have seen this a lot with motors run low on oil .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Thanks guys, I'll try just removing the head then, might be tricky cause one of the allen bolts looks pretty stripped from someone being in there before. Might have to get tricky with the welder and put a nut head on it or something if its completely stripped. Let you know how it goes when I have time to pull the head.

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    Matter of fact, just pull the valve cover off the head and you can see the journals and remove cam easily

This. As a bonus, it never hurts to freshen up your sealing compounds. Don't use Permatex. Use YamaBond, HondaBond, ThreeBond 1194.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    Thanks. I'm going the pull the head route but one of those allen bolts holding the head on is stripped and on there what seems to me to be to tight. So I bought a torx bit that I'm going to weld into the allen head to get the bolt out. I know with cars you are suppose to disconnect the battery before welding on them, is it crucial to disconnect anything before welding it?

--
    Can’t you get a pair of vice grips on the Allen head bolt to loosen it ?
    A little heat from a torch for about 30 seconds and the vice grips and you should be able to get it loose .
    If your going the welding route remove the carburetor and any electrical that’s close .
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    87 atc 125m stock

--
    I'll try grabbing it with vise grips just think the bolt is in there tight(probably too tight) so not sure it will happen.

--
    Alright guys, 2 of those allens were stripped and on there super tight, slotted them and used one of those manual impacts you hit with a to get them out. Anyway today I finally got the head "pulled". Is there anyway to get the head completely off while the motor is still in the bike? cause mine lifts up and gets close but doesnt come out. Also once I had the head pulled I found out that the cam bushing (part #2 in iron chops diagram) will spin on the cam and slide back and forth a bit however the bushing will not slide off, this is why the cam would not pull out with the head on. The cam bushing also has some discoloration from getting hot on one side (blue/purple from heat) does this mean I need a cam bushing as well or why wont it pull off the cam.

--
    Reread my post #8 I explained why the bushing is stuck .
    You will need a new cam and bushing .
    No the head will not come off without removing the motor .
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    87 atc 125m stock

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //